Coronavirus (COVID-19)

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Elixir said:
Edinburgh was busy as ever yesterday. Most people just don't care anymore. As for a pointless two-week (six-month) 'circuit breaker' (cringe), this would have to be the straw that breaks the camel's back. The peak will quite clearly be reached and start falling when it's already too late to delay. Frankly, the NHS will just have to deal with it - if the dung models even get remotely close, which is doubtful. Enough now.

You seem to live in a parallel universe to most pub, cafe and restaurant owners. Places are empty everywhere I'm looking. Whichever part of Edinburgh you were visiting must be an outlier as anywhere I have been this week has been more akin to January that the week before Christmas. People are staying home for sure when you see how quiet places are. The only busy place I saw this morning was Prestwick beach !!!

The city centre of the capital is probably slightly different to Ayr/Prestwick tbf. I’m sure some bits of Edinburgh are quiet but you’re definitely getting more people still out and about which is good to see. 

23 minutes ago, mizfit said:

What did he say? I’ve not been listening to him.

Lots of questions so hard to give a full summary but he just pointed that there's a heightened risk at the moment and people should make educated decisions. He certainly wasn't discouraging people from going to football etc but recommended testing beforehand particularly if going by bus. He also mentioned the importance of mental health and that people shouldn’t lock themselves up.

The thing about the kids was actually him saying a school shouldn't cancel swimming lessons in January.

Lots of questions so hard to give a full summary but he just pointed that there's a heightened risk at the moment and people should make educated decisions. He certainly wasn't discouraging people from going to football etc but recommended testing beforehand particularly if going by bus. He also mentioned the importance of mental health and that people shouldn’t lock themselves up.
The thing about the kids was actually him saying a school shouldn't cancel swimming lessons in January.

Long story short.
Use common sense, go about as normal and test if you’ve been in a large crowd recently.

Which is all we should be doing.

I’ve just walked down George Street in Edinburgh and most restaurants and bars looked very busy to me.
Outdoor áreas in particular absolutely heaving.
Seems to be an East / West split as definitely dead for the time of year through here. Good that the hospitality venues through there don't seem to be impacted like they are here.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Why on earth would we do that?

It's literally at the heart of the problem we are discussing.

is it really ? so if those who claim to need it all get sort with cash, everything she's doing will be praised by you and you P & B girlfriends ?

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Hospital numbers below 500 for the first time since 28th August.

image.png.94972248f0c438f8582b2dcc585eaf34.png

Are there any historical figures available for how many people generally get admitted to hospital at this time of year with virus type issues in a ‘normal’ year? A year before Covid, any old year when we all knew ‘something is definitely going about, folk in my work are all off with it’. 

5 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

5.9k cases 

53k tests

494 in hospital. 

5,917* new cases of COVID-19 reported

53,472* new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

12.2% of these were positive

9 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

34 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19

494 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19

4,369,398 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination, 3,988,961 have received their second dose, and 2,436,952 have received a third dose or booster.

* Public Health Scotland note there continues to be an impact on turnaround times between specimens being taken and results reported, due to larger volumes of tests being processed by labs.

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm pretty sure Frankie and the others don't see it as facile.

Sturgeon is preventing him earning a living.

How does he pay his bills now?

With pixie dust?

With good intentions?

With funding from the UK treasury, we are still in the UK as much as I would prefer that not to be the case, and it's not like it's just Scottish business thanks to that bad Nicola who are rightly demanding support.

But please do continue with your very clever pixie dust arguments to rebut my claim your position is facile, adjective: "ignoring the true complexities of an issue, superficial."

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

* Public Health Scotland note there continues to be an impact on turnaround times between specimens being taken and results reported, due to larger volumes of tests being processed by labs.

I await the 'See? We told you it was getting worse!!!' On Monday when they announce 4 days worth of delayed results in the one go.

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Are there any historical figures available for how many people generally get admitted to hospital at this time of year with virus type issues in a ‘normal’ year? A year before Covid, any old year when we all knew ‘something is definitely going about, folk in my work are all off with it’. 

I've no idea tbh. Probably somewhere.

On that last point, I noticed this morning that, due to GPs seeing less people, employees can now self-cert for 28 days instead of the usual 7.

Because that will really help work places...

25 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
49 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:
I’ve just walked down George Street in Edinburgh and most restaurants and bars looked very busy to me.
Outdoor áreas in particular absolutely heaving.

Seems to be an East / West split as definitely dead for the time of year through here. Good that the hospitality venues through there don't seem to be impacted like they are here.

Buchanan Street was pretty busy earlier