Excuses excuses

ICTChris

I once tried to convince my Ma that the cigarette she'd found in my school blazer pocket wasn't mine. Somebody must've put it there without my knowledge while it was hanging on a peg during gym. Sadly, she didn't believe me.

The Great Carlos Kaiser getting out of playing a minute in his long career.

Castor signed Kaiser, prompting a newspaper headline: “BANGU HAS ITS KING”. That headline became famous, and not only because Kaiser showed it to everybody at every opportunity. When he arrived he had the usual injury problems. Castor loved him anyway, because of his cheek, his charisma, his chutzpah – and his apparently endless access to beautiful women. He loved Kaiser’s personality so much that he wanted to see its manifestation on the pitch. One weekend Kaiser was studiously continuing his rehab at 4am in Caligula nightclub when word reached him that Castor had sent an order for him to be on the bench the next day. Kaiser panicked before being reassured by the coach that he would stay as a non-playing substitute.

Bangu had a dreadful start to the match and were soon 2-0 down. Castor sent a message from the stands via walkie-talkie that it was time to unleash the star signing. Kaiser had two choices. He could go on as substitute, in which case he was dead; or he could refuse to go on, in which case he was dead. So he improvised a third option. While warming up, Kaiser heard an opposing fan call him a “long-haired faggot” and used it as an excuse to start a brawl with the away supporters. He was sent off before getting on the pitch.

Kaiser was summoned to see Castor after the game. “God has taken both my parents away but gave me another father who they accused of being a crook,” he sniffed. “So I lost it and went for them. But don’t you worry because my contract is up in a week and I’ll be off.” Castor gave him a pay rise and a contract extension

Ernest Saunders, one of the Guinness Four who were jailed for attempting to fraudulently inflate the value of Guinness shares to help them in a take over bid for Scottish Brewers.

After being sentenced to 5 years, he later appealed on the grounds that he was suffering from pre senile dementia consistent with Alzheimer's. After his sentence was reduced to 2 and a half years, with parole he was out in 10 months. He would then go on to resume a career in business and is the only person known to have made a recovery from the disease.