What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

When I went to the Scotland women v Ireland game last Tuesday night, "matchday scarves" for the men's game a few weeks prior were being sold. They just tried to get rid of the leftover stock while not bothering to make any new ones. 😂

11 hours ago, Christophe said:

Why the f**k do they have a Man City half/half? 

Edit: ...and Spurs! Some people really will buy any old shite

I once saw someone selling half and half scarfs for that Liverpool-Napoli friendly a few years ago at Murrayfield. This was half & half scarves for a game between two non-Scottish teams being sold outside Glasgow Central.

On 15/10/2022 at 14:42, DiegoDiego said:
On 15/10/2022 at 13:19, Miguel Sanchez said:

Why do they have Sheffield Wednesday as a sponsor?

It's a belated response to Wednesday once having Catalonian Salvador Dali's Chupa Chups logo on their shirts. 

Folk saying:

"They're on a shite run so we're guaranteed to lose against them."
"Former player is a stick on to score against us"

I doubt either of the above would stand up to statistical scrutiny. Then there's the classic:

"Scotland are shite! Look at what Denmark and Croatia can achieve!"

While ignoring the great many similar sized countries who are worse than Scotland.

19 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Folk saying:

"They're on a shite run so we're guaranteed to lose against them."
"Former player is a stick on to score against us"

I doubt either of the above would stand up to statistical scrutiny. 

I've heard fans of nearly every team in Scotland say this.

Tam Cowan still says it all the time on Off The Ball and genuinely seems to believe that it's true and that it's unique to Motherwell.

I heard it said recently that Moradona's 2010 world cup tactics had Messi "carrying the water" for Tevez. Argentina were set up with a hollowed out 4-4-2 using wingers to allow Tevez to stay central, a target man style front partner to act as his foil, then Messi in central midfield almost back next to Mascherano, tasked with progressing the ball into Tevez. Many folk at the time said Maradona deliberately hamstrung Messi in that way out of jealousy but I don't think it was that. Messi was clearly screwed by it but then there was Aguero too who was sacrificed out the team altogether to make way for the perfect Tevez-centric gameplan. I think it was Maradona's infatuation with Tevez that caused the madness.

Maradona said the first time he saw Tevez play, he burst into tears because Tevez reminded him so much of himself. There's an Argentine documentary "Apache" (Tevez's nickname) that was very popular in Argentina. For comparison, all the Messi documentaries on the go were made by Europeans. For Argentine Tevez-lovers like Maradona, he was "their boy" in the way Messi or Aguero never could be. Tevez was the son they all wanted. They saw him as the most authentic representation of the Argentine working class, as salt of the earth as it gets. Now there is something to that as the neighbourhood Tevez grew up in is especially storied. But to take that too far and destroy your national team's world cup chances over it was deeply frustrating in 2010.

So that's the best example of something that annoys me in football. When favouritism for a particular player goes too far. It's most damaging when a coach does it, obviously, but I also get annoyed by media lobbies for certain players or when fans become blindly attached to a player.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Can we add Match of the Day discussing the players and formation not only for England's opening WC match against Iran?

Not only that but also how and why they would change it in the knockout phase.

Seriously, you don't think any team's formation will change, depending on opponents and whether it's a group or knock out game?

Or do you just mean MoTD is being a bit premature?

When a keeper is taking a goal kick, fans behind that goal giving it a massive 'You're shit AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...' that goes on as the ball's sailing down the ground. It was mainly an English lower league thing that was dying out through the play out from the back tactic but I've just heard it again during Portsmouth v Derby. God knows where, when and why it started but it's been around for a while. It's just pointless and awful.