What are the things you hate regarding fitba?

3 hours ago, TAFKAC said:

Strange stats that mean nothing: "Team X has not beaten Team Y at Team Y's home ground on a Tuesday night, with a lunar eclipse with a male on the throne since 1923."

There was one on MOTD the other week with the commentator stating that such and such a team hadn’t won away to Nottingham Forest for 20-odd years. It was followed up a short time later with the admission that they’d only played one another once or twice since then. It’s basically the TV version of click bait.

On 20/02/2023 at 14:58, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Scottish people calling it "fitba" is annoying. 

English people calling it "Footy" is basically the same, but somehow worse.

Correct. It should be referred to as 'punt'.

Shoehorning Women’s football into every programme and pretending that the presenter is a huge fan. Sky are particularly infuriating for this. During the transfer window the ticker tape showed women’s teams bidding for players etc without stating they were women’s teams! Also, I enjoy A View From The Terrace, but come on lads, stop talking every week about The SWPL, no one cares. Why not have a spin off show dedicated to women’s football? 

2 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Shoehorning Women’s football into every programme and pretending that the presenter is a huge fan. Sky are particularly infuriating for this. During the transfer window the ticker tape showed women’s teams bidding for players etc without stating they were women’s teams! Also, I enjoy A View From The Terrace, but come on lads, stop talking every week about The SWPL, no one cares. Why not have a spin off show dedicated to women’s football? 

This thing with not referencing that they mean women's fitba is really annoying.

The Guardian is really bad for this too. They'll have me catching myself sometimes by having a headline like Man City 5-2 Barcelona, or Man Utd 3-3 Arsenal, with no reference to it being women's fitba.

In these days of games seemingly being played at any time and with the schedule being so packed, I'm often open to the idea that there's a huge men's game on that has escaped my attention.

On 21/02/2023 at 14:14, TAFKAC said:

Strange stats that mean nothing: "Team X has not beaten Team Y at Team Y's home ground on a Tuesday night, with a lunar eclipse with a male on the throne since 1923."

Alongside 'Team P has not won a league match against Team D for seventy-three years' when they have only been in the same division for three of those years. 

Random letters, by the way. No big team found.  

2 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Promoting the women's game is absolutely fine and hopefully the increased exposure helps, however...

22 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

This thing with not referencing that they mean women's fitba is really annoying.

The Guardian is really bad for this too. They'll have me catching myself sometimes by having a headline like Man City 5-2 Barcelona, or Man Utd 3-3 Arsenal, with no reference to it being women's fitba.

In these days of games seemingly being played at any time and with the schedule being so packed, I'm often open to the idea that there's a huge men's game on that has escaped my attention.

... this does really annoy me. 

Another favourite of presenters is to say 'Team ? has now played their game in hand' when Team % is still set to play on the same weekend of fixtures - the game in hand is still the re-arranged midweek fixture against Team $. 

And pundits analysing clips for five minutes, that they never showed in the preceding seven minute highlights....... just show us more highlights.  

Yes, I should get out more.   

On 26/02/2023 at 11:33, IncomingExile said:

Another favourite of presenters is to say 'Team ? has now played their game in hand' when Team % is still set to play on the same weekend of fixtures - the game in hand is still the re-arranged midweek fixture against Team $. 

And pundits analysing clips for five minutes, that they never showed in the preceding seven minute highlights....... just show us more highlights.  

Yes, I should get out more.   

pundits analysing,full stop.what a gravy train for washed up old pros that is.itvs EFL show is particularly appalling

On 24/02/2023 at 12:39, IncomingExile said:

Alongside 'Team P has not won a league match against Team D for seventy-three years' when they have only been in the same division for three of those years. 

Random letters, by the way. No big team found.  

This is also a problem in American sports (and I assume others).“Player A is the first man under 25 to have 100 yards rushing and 300 yards passing in a playoff game in NFL history.” Conveniently forgetting that last week Player B had 99 yards rushing and 400 passing and he was 25 years and 1 day old. 

One other media thing that gets on my nerve at time is things like "10 men team X win...", "team Y beat 10 men team X" while the sending off happened in the closing stages of the game and will unlikely have impacted the result. That makes the result look more or less impressive than it really is.

If the sending off was early on, absolutely fair enough, but not if it was so late that it's unlikely to have impacted the result.

22 hours ago, The Golden God said:

English fans on Twitter moaning that every single game isn’t on the tele 

That is because for the majority of them , football is a TV program, not something they regularly go to watch in a stadium. 

On 20/02/2023 at 14:58, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Scottish people calling it "fitba" is annoying. 

English people calling it "Footy" is basically the same, but somehow worse.

Why on earth would Scottish people calling fitba fitba be annoying.....it is fitba after all.  I suppose you call it football?

Highlights of games wasting time showing the inevitable "goal kick as full time goes". 

Its fair enough for extended highlights, but if the highlights are only a few minutes long its particularly annoying. Show us the actual highlights, not a referee blowing a whistle. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

Why on earth would Scottish people calling fitba fitba be annoying.....it is fitba after all.  I suppose you call it football?

@topcat(The most tip top) lives in Morningside, wears a tweed jacket (jaiket) with leather elbow pads and rides a unicycle. I'll bet he calls it "association football" too.

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Whyòⁿ4114 on earth would Scottish people calling fitba fitba be annoying.....it is fitba after all.  I suppose you call it football?

The thing that was annoying me was the Viaplay ads I heard in the lead up to the League Cup final where the voice-over guy kept on saying "Fit-bah" whereas I say (and always consider the correct way of saying it) "Fit-baw". The former always sounds to me like an English person trying to say it (like when Max Rushden does Fitba corner on the Guardian podcast).