George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

2 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Church of Scotland and Roman Catholic’s may disagree with that,not to mention Judaism and Islam.
Back to the Druids it is then! emoji848.png

I'm reminded of the old meme:

Jesus promised world peace

Buddha promised world peace

Odin promised he'd get rid of all the Ice Giants.

(Picture of smug Viking) I DON'T SEE ANY ICE GIANTS

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Church of Scotland and Roman Catholic’s may disagree with that,not to mention Judaism and Islam.
Back to the Druids it is then! emoji848.png

I think that was his point... :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

I live and work in Glasgow and have watched the demographics change very quickly, and unabated it's pretty obvious it will continue to change over the next decade or two, as will Glasgow's character and identity, IMHO. I'm all for a certain amount of diversity, but I genuinely do not feel that mass-immigration benefits me or the city as a whole. That's a debate for another time and place, though.

I'm off to watch Lord of War! 

Breeding out the many neds and the hate filled gimp Celtic and Rangers supporters is a good thing.

It'll be interesting to see who paid for the Burnley White Lives Matter banner.

Whoever it is got their money's worth anyway as Piers Morgan, Gary Lineker etc are doing their work for them. There are millions of British people who will see the reaction to that banner as a message that George Floyd's death matters more than the three white men killed in Reading. 

On 22/06/2020 at 05:25, tamthebam said:

I remember when Mark Walters signed for Rangers and the Scottish press were full of articles about how Souness had signed the first black player to play in the Scottish League in modern times, this was progress etc  

Which totally ignored the fact that Vic Kasule had played for Albion Rovers and Meadowbank Thistle for a number of seasons prior to Walters arrival. Vic was no angel of course but he did get subject to racial abuse at quite a few grounds, mostly in the West of Scotland (one club where you heard no racist chants whatsoever was Forfar Athletic whom the uninformed might have supposed was full of ignorant inbred teuchters. Good guys the Loons). Given what had gone before it was a surprise to me for example when Airdrie signed Gus Caesar and Justin Fashanu and other clubs whose fans had less than spotless reputations were to sign black players themselves over the next few decades. 

The excerpt I posted above mentioned St Mirren. A few years after they signed Steve Galloway (who is black) on loan and he played in a defeat to Hibs at Easter Road. I can remember when he was substituted he got applause from both sets of fans for playing well.

giphy.gif

I have never heard/seen any racism or sectarian at Station Park from a home supporter.  I'm sure there has been at some time, but never in my presence.  We are too busy arguing among ourselves to take any notice what is happening on the pitch.

Whoever it is got their money's worth anyway as Piers Morgan, Gary Lineker etc are doing their work for them. There are millions of British people who will see the reaction to that banner as a message that George Floyd's death matters more than the three white men killed in Reading. 
Anyone making that comparison is an idiot, though.

The reading attacks were carried out by a guy on his own who decided he wanted to go and stab people.

The blm protests relate to overwhelming evidence of racism in America's police forces. It's a campaign that's spread around the world due to the everyday racism that black people suffer in other countries, including this one.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The reading attacks were carried out by a guy on his own who decided he wanted to go and stab people.

The blm protests relate to overwhelming evidence of racism in America's police forces. It's a campaign that's spread around the world due to the everyday racism that black people suffer in other countries, including this one.

The vast majority of people in the UK understandably don't think a great deal about police violence in the USA any more than they think about police violence in Egypt or India. 

To understand why Black Lives Matters isn't exclusionary and White Lives Matters should be avoided requires contextual knowledge that British voters largely don't have. Celebrities using racial discourse they have picked up from American Twitter to scold white people in the UK is only going to increase reactionary tendencies. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
41 minutes ago, Detournement said:

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/06/jake-hepple/

The company that he work(ed)s for is named in the article. I'm pretty sure Jake's arse won't be touching the ground this morning. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

That's right that guy would have attacked anyone. It wasnt a race crime, hes a lunatic.

The obvious issue with that is that telling all white people they are privileged is divisive (and untrue). 

Also saying there is definitely no racial motivation in Reading is ridiculous. The UK war on Libya was a racist enterprise and this very much looks like a racist counter response.

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

WTF is this pish? An attempt at irony or humour or empathy?

Pete Sutcliffe's defence when he was arrested for the ripper murders was that he'd been told by the voice of God to kill prostitutes.   He was lying when he said it - the subsequent trial rejected the defence and the evidence doesn't back it up.  Extremely violent criminals often lie and say that they were told to do it by God or by voices when in most cases the motivation behind the murders is sexual gratification, as it was in Sutcliffe's case.  People who murder in psychotic episodes are not like Pete Sutcliffe - he carried out his crimes over a period of years, he maintained a relatively normal facade of life while doing it (marriage, job, home etc).  People who really are hearing voices telling them to kill people tend to be chaotic, spree killers who are quickly arrested.

Apologies for taking this thread off-topic and onto possibly the grimmest topic you can imagine.

Clearly the ones who organised this are driven by racism. Some people in the area could have, with some justIfication, flown a plane stating that ‘lower class citizens matter too’.  Sadly the lack of education and nuance leads many of the oppressed to think the Tories care because racists are trying to intertwine immigration Into the argument. Tragic really.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

Unpopular opinions thread for this pish but Burnley taking action against them seems a bit off tbh.

It's clearly at the very least a deeply ignorant act and at worst racially motivated but a football club making the interpretation and banning them seems like over stepping the mark, tbh.