WoSFL Premier Division thread

15 hours ago, not man of the match said:

The majority in tier 7 and below that have no interest in licensing etc.

Obviously not all of them.

They have no interest in it because they don't have the resources to get it done.

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

They have no interest in it because they don't have the resources to get it done.

All the more reason to have stayed in the setup they were in. 

I still see no reason why everybody had to go when in the weeks leading upto it, you were lucky if there were 16 interested in making the move.

37 minutes ago, not man of the match said:

All the more reason to have stayed in the setup they were in. 

I still see no reason why everybody had to go when in the weeks leading upto it, you were lucky if there were 16 interested in making the move.

It's been done to death. Suffice to say, the clubs did not want to play in a diminished league so the more moved across, the less appealing staying behind was. Also, clubs like Clydebank were counting on that happening to actually form a league.

IMO the important advantage is that the general running of the league, although far from perfect, is much better. The SJFA and it's regional admin were idiots.

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

.....clubs like Clydebank were counting on that happening to actually form a league.

Just one wee correction on that point. The LL had enough applications within the first day of applications opening to make the league viable.

1 minute ago, glensmad said:

Just one wee correction on that point. The LL had enough applications within the first day of applications opening to make the league viable.

So the rest coming over wasted it for clubs like yours. 

30 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It's been done to death. Suffice to say, the clubs did not want to play in a diminished league so the more moved across, the less appealing staying behind was.

This. Also, would you really want what happened in the east, with a trickle of a number of clubs every year over a few years? It took a few years of conferences for the EoSFL to get to a proper structure. And only this season it can really be said clubs are generally at the level they belong at, with a handful of exceptions.

At the end of the day, it was the WoS that were quite happy to accept half arsed applications from teams without their own facilities and with no intention to grow their clubs within their own area. Basically just using a name for recognition but only interested in pumping money into player wages rather than growing the club.

They were happy to accept applications from the SoS region.

Now they are closing the door using the “volunteers” excuse for not being able to functionally run the league properly.

As the bottom wrung of the system, there should ALWAYS be space for new, well organised applications from their own catchment area to join the league at any time. If they didn’t rush to fill the league with teams that have absolutely no grounding or foundations, then they would not be in the position of having to turn down good clubs like Annbank if they wanting back in next season.

Every other league in this system always allow applicants to join for the next season if they are ready to go (suitable ground to play), only the West Region is different 

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

At the end of the day, it was the WoS that were quite happy to accept half arsed applications from teams without their own facilities and with no intention to grow their clubs within their own area. Basically just using a name for recognition but only interested in pumping money into player wages rather than growing the club.

They were happy to accept applications from the SoS region.

Now they are closing the door using the “volunteers” excuse for not being able to functionally run the league properly.

As the bottom wrung of the system, there should ALWAYS be space for new, well organised applications from their own catchment area to join the league at any time. If they didn’t rush to fill the league with teams that have absolutely no grounding or foundations, then they would not be in the position of having to turn down good clubs like Annbank if they wanting back in next season.

Every other league in this system always allow applicants to join for the next season if they are ready to go (suitable ground to play), only the West Region is different 

Would much rather see Annbank back in the league than a number of teams. Last I read they were enjoying doing well at amateur level again and winning most weeks though? They would have better facilities than most clubs in the Fourth Division.

3 hours ago, Spyro said:

You could argue that Knightswood and St Pats were not well organised applications when they were put up for a vote last season. From what I remember Knightswood have used at least two grounds this season. The secondary venue may have been a High School pitch. St Pats I still don't think have organised a proper ground for making the move.

Seems like the spot was just used up to save one team being idle in the 4th Division this season.

2 hours ago, Shannon said:

Would much rather see Annbank back in the league than a number of teams. Last I read they were enjoying doing well at amateur level again and winning most weeks though? They would have better facilities than most clubs in the Fourth Division.

I believe the door was left open for them to return after a year out. Annbank closed the door.

1 hour ago, Casper Wilson said:

I believe the door was left open for them to return after a year out. Annbank closed the door.

There still should always be a space for them to join whenever they (just using Annbank as an example) are ready and meet ALL requirements 

On 14/03/2024 at 13:04, not man of the match said:

some clubs should have fought to keep and remain in the West Region Juniors

The same clubs that voted to add Threave to a league that already had Campbeltown in it? If they wanted the Junior style, they wouldn't have allowed this surely

Planning on headed to Beith v Pollok today. Haven't seen the home side this season but was a regular to Bellsdale last year. Strain built a good young side to win the league so it'll be interesting to see how they fair today.

1 hour ago, AM-1 said:

Planning on headed to Beith v Pollok today. Haven't seen the home side this season but was a regular to Bellsdale last year. Strain built a good young side to win the league so it'll be interesting to see how they fair today.

Mon the Lok now. 

23 hours ago, Marten said:

This. Also, would you really want what happened in the east, with a trickle of a number of clubs every year over a few years? It took a few years of conferences for the EoSFL to get to a proper structure. And only this season it can really be said clubs are generally at the level they belong at, with a handful of exceptions.

I suppose this was always going to happen,  when the east moved over, there was a cpl of years of teams moving over and even the West Lothian section moving over later when the new EOSFL was looking settled, the thing now is that there is no ceiling and there's a clear objective if desired now for teams, although slow, if a team is good enough they can reach a higher level and if they are not good enough they will go to a lower level but some teams maybe at a lower level due to being, well lets just say, 'run not too well for past couple of years, committee wise etc..' but you do expect teams to come back, thus reaching what we expect to be their level. it definitely was better that the whole west moved over together and if i remember correctly there was a lot of teams complaining about the structure regarding pervious teams standings/positions and where they should be in the new structure but now both WOSFL and EOSFL are nearly all but stable.  (Would need to check but below the Highland league, they didn't have that much of a problem as I'm sure everyone moved over at the same time to form 3 associations under tier 5)

Even in the premier divisions both in the East and latterly the West, in its new formation when joining the pyramid, would have taken a while to become stable and you can see this, especially in the East as well known clubs eventually leaving the East to move up to the LL and teams now moving down to the East.    I personally  think the West is stronger than the East having bene to many games on both sides but facts are for past few seasons East teams have won promotion to the LL and West have not, no matter what I or anyone else thinks, in a few years time when people look back to now and past few years they will see that the East was stronger as always promoted, no matter what any excuse we use from the West side.  I do think that once we have one WOSFL team win promotion then we will see more doing the same to gain promotion but the East still have a few strong teams the now with everything going well on all fronts, team, structure, committee etc... are, my view, Broxburn Athletic and Jeanfield Swifts.

After today's results Talbot can win the title without favours from elsewhere - words I did not expect to be typing this side of the summer holidays. 

We still have to go to all sorts of difficult places and win, and there's a very hard sequence of away games coming up so not getting too excited just yet. 

League is mental this season with probably about 6 or 7 clubs mooching about the top half and all are  on probable parity ability wise and being at it for the 90 minutes.  

Good game at bellsdale today and we got out the traps very early doors and should have added another few but as the first half progressed pollok were the better team . 

Second half was mostly about beith I felt and we came back very well and longmuir had several good saves to keep pollok In it , however if you want to mention great saves then our goalie had arguably the best save I've ever saw at bellsdale in injury time when he scooped one Up like Gordon banks to deny pollok a victory.  

A draw was the fair result for me today on the balance of the game.