WoSFL Premier Division thread

Scrappy game Beith v Pollok at the weekend with the visitors resorting to surrounding/intimidating the ref from early doors and throughout. For a club of such high standing, and apparent ability, using these tactics is pretty poor to see.

If Beith added more physicality to their squad it would help. As for Pollok, mixed it up and maybe edged the game which was mainly down to the physical aspect.

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

St Cadocs, do not have and where near 800 kids in their academy

If they are paying £50 a month, the math is, this money goes towards two home games a month, think the park costs, £140/£150 per game so expected to be £280/£300 and paying 2 training sessions a week, unsure what is left over but to be fair, its not  too much.  Also, not every kid is paying £50 a month.  Theres also paying for traning kit, training materials and tools, match and training balls and the football strips.  If they have a small sponser that helps then brill but not much money left, and that money would not go towards the first team

Is it true that St Cadocs met the league requirements and were voted in by all the members clubs? I'm unsure of that, sure someone cant let us all know.

it looks like St Cadocs have a major sponsor, so if the team run their finances well then god luck to them and have a backdrop incase the money leaves when the sponsor finishes with the team.

(You could question any club that is reliant on just one major sponsor, it has happened for years at various clubs often with same outcome, financial ruin for many years after the funder pulls out. )

Well Hurlford United did exactly this and they came out well and have been an established premier team for many years, even after the money man/men left

Sorry for breaking the news about Santa to you so abruptly pal. The red dot was well deserved. 

When we lost at New Tinto earlier in the season, St Cadoc's scored within a minute and if I hadn't watched it happen I'd have had no idea. Not even a hint of a celebration. In fairness, they had a few fans come through to Newlandsfield a few weekends ago but I really do mean a few. It's going to sound like sour grapes given that they have beaten us twice and probably deserved to do so on each occasion but I wasn't really impressed by them on either occasion.  Beith the strongest side I have seen at this level this season and I'll still maintain that the Talbot team that we beat on the opening day performed better than virtually everybody else at Newlandsfield this season. 

13 minutes ago, Dean Learner said:

When we lost at New Tinto earlier in the season, St Cadoc's scored within a minute and if I hadn't watched it happen I'd have had no idea. Not even a hint of a celebration. In fairness, they had a few fans come through to Newlandsfield a few weekends ago but I really do mean a few. It's going to sound like sour grapes given that they have beaten us twice and probably deserved to do so on each occasion but I wasn't really impressed by them on either occasion.  Beith the strongest side I have seen at this level this season and I'll still maintain that the Talbot team that we beat on the opening day performed better than virtually everybody else at Newlandsfield this season. 

That's the only game I've seen this season but if that Talbot performance was the best you've seen, then the standard of the league must be poor right enough. They were unlucky to lose but my feeling was of two rusty, yet poor teams that day.

19 minutes ago, Dean Learner said:

They scored 1st at home on Saturday and there was no reaction,nobody realised that they’d scored.

You have to wonder what the point of them is as there were no youth club players either,just journeymen ex SPFL and top division guys who are obviously only there for cash.

8 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That's the only game I've seen this season but if that Talbot performance was the best you've seen, then the standard of the league must be poor right enough. They were unlucky to lose but my feeling was of two rusty, yet poor teams that day.

Beith were better and I was quite impressed by Benburb(though that was a cup tie) but there haven't been a lot of great visiting sides.  Just makes the points dropped all the more damning.   Edit to add Linlithgow Rose to the list, though obviously from a tier above. 

Edited by Dean Learner

Be interested to know why Darvel played last midweek and are playing tomorrow night while Talbot are sitting idle when both had played the same amount of games.

44 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Be interested to know why Darvel played last midweek and are playing tomorrow night while Talbot are sitting idle when both had played the same amount of games.

Because the league ends on 11th May.

Maybe ask Darvel why they asked to bring last weeks game forward from when it was scheduled.

I bet you will also find dates when Talbot are playing and Darvel aren't. 

Just now, Kennie said:

Maybe ask Darvel why they asked to bring last weeks game forward from when it was scheduled.

Surely it would have been logical to schedule a game for Talbot either last week or this week as if Talbot get to West final they probably end up playing Wednesday Saturday Monday Wednesday Saturday when they might be going for the League. 

Just now, andy25 said:

Surely it would have been logical to schedule a game for Talbot either last week or this week as if Talbot get to West final they probably end up playing Wednesday Saturday Monday Wednesday Saturday when they might be going for the League. 

Could Talbot not request to move a game or two forward to avoid that situation?

1 minute ago, andy25 said:

The battery in my crystal ball is flat.

1 minute ago, andy25 said:

Classy answer..

How about this then.

I can't justify postponing a game that is already scheduled on a Saturday and bring it forward to be played midweek on the basis that something 'MIGHT' happen. What happens if they don't get to the final? They'd then be idle on the Saturday. I can imagine the stick I'd get for that.

12 hours ago, Kennie said:

Aye, every second day in the first week of May probably.

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Aye, every second day in the first week of May probably.

The anomaly is Clydebank who wull have nearly a month aff. 
As I said back then “scheduling a few missed Saturdays“ for the Bankies woulda stopped the league becomin disjointed. I wis shot down. 

Now the judge, jury and executioner is oan yer case Kennie! 

Tough joab somebodies got tae dae it.

Eftur this weekend Beith and Talbot wull have played the same games. And we’ve only 2/3 hopefully 4 more fixtures than them. And we’ve the midweek game next week so no as bad as it seems. Especially if we win all three next week! 

Interesting that Talbot haven’t been accommodated with midweek games. Plenty of teams with floodlights. Seems like the fixture secretary is too scared to assign matches incase teams complain about gate receipts or the lack of them due to midweek games. Happy to take the licensing money and play in the Scottish Cup, but not fulfil league games (This is not specifically aimed at Talbot, but all teams who are licensed participants in the Scottish Cup). The tail certainly wags the dog.

Maybe there is an argument to reduce the league sizes to ensure that teams do not go into the final months of the season needing 10 games plus played! Cup competitions that all member clubs are not a participant in should not have priority over the league and if you do, immediate schedule a midweek fixture. You cannot have your cake and eat it and many clubs are whilst Kennie is firmly in their pocket.

Beith

Auchinleck Talbot

Darvel

Hurlford

Arthurlie

Glenafton

Shotts

Ashfield

Johnstone Burgh

Cumbernauld United

Forth Wanderers

Threave Rovers

Lesmahagow

Dalry Thistle

BSC Glasgow

Newmains United

Campbeltown Pupils

All of the above have 10+ games to be played. In the space of 8 weekends. Five of those teams have access to floodlights. Whilst I recognise the lower you go, floodlights are less likely, but we have enough teams with floodlights to get these games played earlier in the season and/or up to these points. Every team should be going into the final 5 weeks on 25 games played. Surely in the interests of sporting integrity every team should be going into the final furlong with equal amount of matches left and it would certainly bring more punters through the gate due to the excitement and intrigue.

I would rule out an extension to the season Division 1 downward, as it doesn’t suit the WoSFL committee’s vested interests.

Edited by windup1
Update.

Here is a post from October

At this point the league was due to finish in Mid March apparently. It's like people have never experienced how fixtures pan out at this level. 

ETA- I did say I would bookmark it at the time @glensmad 😉

Edited by jimbaxters

48 minutes ago, windup1 said:

Interesting that Talbot haven’t been accommodated with midweek games. Plenty of teams with floodlights. Seems like the fixture secretary is too scared to assign matches incase teams complain about gate receipts or the lack of them due to midweek games. Happy to take the licensing money and play in the Scottish Cup, but not fulfil league games (This is not specifically aimed at Talbot, but all teams who are licensed participants in the Scottish Cup). The tail certainly wags the dog.

Maybe there is an argument to reduce the league sizes to ensure that teams do not go into the final months of the season needing 10 games plus played! Cup competitions that all member clubs are not a participant in should not have priority over the league and if you do, immediate schedule a midweek fixture. You cannot have your cake and eat it and many clubs are whilst Kennie is firmly in their pocket.

Beith

Auchinleck Talbot

Darvel

Hurlford

Arthurlie

Glenafton

Shotts

Ashfield

Johnstone Burgh

Cumbernauld United

Forth Wanderers

Threave Rovers

Lesmahagow

Dalry Thistle

BSC Glasgow

Newmains United

Campbeltown Pupils

All of the above have 10+ games to be played. In the space of 8 weekends. Five of those teams have access to floodlights. Whilst I recognise the lower you go, floodlights are less likely, but we have enough teams with floodlights to get these games played earlier in the season and/or up to these points. Every team should be going into the final 5 weeks on 25 games played. Surely in the interests of sporting integrity every team should be going into the final furlong with equal amount of matches left and it would certainly bring more punters through the gate due to the excitement and intrigue.

I would rule out an extension to the season Division 1 downward, as it doesn’t suit the WoSFL committee’s vested interests.

In fairness is it a clubs fault they do well in cup games and other teams don't or is it just about a league that teams want to win cause yes ur right why isn't there more league games mid week to catch up on the backlog but u have had a go at talbot to be fair for beigning successful where other teams have failed