WoSFL Premier Division thread

1 minute ago, PollokGang said:

I’d like to see an extra round of midweek games in September for the Premier League and the majority of Junior Cup played midweek. Would massively ease congestion in my opinion. 

Why play the junior cup in midweek surely revenue wise it would better on a Saturday than a wet dismal night on a Wednesday or I am missing the point clubs like pollok don't want to make money or care about what this Cup or any cup can bring revenue in to it if clubs are successful then fair enough but if ur aren't don't moan about the fixture list when ur out of every cup also I am sure u had a game postponed to accommodate ur run in the Scottish Cup or am I wrong 

3 hours ago, windup1 said:

Interesting that Talbot haven’t been accommodated with midweek games. Plenty of teams with floodlights. Seems like the fixture secretary is too scared to assign matches incase teams complain about gate receipts or the lack of them due to midweek games. Happy to take the licensing money and play in the Scottish Cup, but not fulfil league games (This is not specifically aimed at Talbot, but all teams who are licensed participants in the Scottish Cup). The tail certainly wags the dog.

Maybe there is an argument to reduce the league sizes to ensure that teams do not go into the final months of the season needing 10 games plus played! Cup competitions that all member clubs are not a participant in should not have priority over the league and if you do, immediate schedule a midweek fixture. You cannot have your cake and eat it and many clubs are whilst Kennie is firmly in their pocket.

Beith

Auchinleck Talbot

Darvel

Hurlford

Arthurlie

Glenafton

Shotts

Ashfield

Johnstone Burgh

Cumbernauld United

Forth Wanderers

Threave Rovers

Lesmahagow

Dalry Thistle

BSC Glasgow

Newmains United

Campbeltown Pupils

All of the above have 10+ games to be played. In the space of 8 weekends. Five of those teams have access to floodlights. Whilst I recognise the lower you go, floodlights are less likely, but we have enough teams with floodlights to get these games played earlier in the season and/or up to these points. Every team should be going into the final 5 weeks on 25 games played. Surely in the interests of sporting integrity every team should be going into the final furlong with equal amount of matches left and it would certainly bring more punters through the gate due to the excitement and intrigue.

I would rule out an extension to the season Division 1 downward, as it doesn’t suit the WoSFL committee’s vested interests.

So, no midweek games for Talbot, is it?

I think you might need to check the fixture list again.

4 hours ago, allyg1977 said:

Why play the junior cup in midweek surely revenue wise it would better on a Saturday than a wet dismal night on a Wednesday or I am missing the point clubs like pollok don't want to make money or care about what this Cup or any cup can bring revenue in to it if clubs are successful then fair enough but if ur aren't don't moan about the fixture list when ur out of every cup also I am sure u had a game postponed to accommodate ur run in the Scottish Cup or am I wrong 

Only so many Saturdays we can utilise. The League should take priority. Play the first round when the licensed clubs are in the big Scottish and have the semi finals and final over weekends too. Then you are only playing 3 midweek rounds? Could even play the junior cup quarters and semis after the last league game. 

Money wise, it’ll depend on opponent rather the competition. Pollok would make more from playing Linlithgow in the Challenge Cup than playing say Cumnock in the junior cup.

Edited by PollokGang

14 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Again, I don’t hold Talbot accountable, but, surely with the most tinted Talbot spectacles you can agree that 3 is not enough, with over 10 games to go?

1 hour ago, windup1 said:

Again, I don’t hold Talbot accountable, but, surely with the most tinted Talbot spectacles you can agree that 3 is not enough, with over 10 games to go?

Yip agreed.

The Junior Cup should be binned.

Everyone knows it’s a diminished competition it’s just daft to try and kid on that it isn’t.

No East of Scotland League participation means it’s hardly the “Scottish” Junior Cup that it once was.

7 minutes ago, Vanderbilt said:

Everyone knows it’s a diminished competition it’s just daft to try and kid on that it isn’t.

No East of Scotland League participation means it’s hardly the “Scottish” Junior Cup that it once was.

I would ask questions over the return to two-legged semi-finals since it further disrupts the league calendar. As the explanation is that the extra games are needed to help fund the prize money.

Every other cup right now seems to be cutting back on replays and some even go straight to penalties instead of extra-time these days.

54 minutes ago, Vanderbilt said:

A refreshing new take on the topic. 

Coulda, woulda, shoulda kind of night for us. Brilliant 1st half, hit the bar at the start of the 2nd, then a deflected goal got Darvel back into it, goalkeeping error lead to the equaliser and thought it was only a matter of time before Darvel won it. But credit to the players who gave it a go and had some chances to get back in front but we had to hold on at the death as Darvel missed 2 sitters that would have won it.

Need to get 3 points rather than 1s to stay up. 

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Good.

The Bankies are getting dragged back up into this.

Don't give us Hope we'll only f**k up on sat lol. For me it's between beith and talbot. I want talbot 2 with it 

Mon the papers

7 hours ago, Shanner said:

A refreshing new take on the topic. 

The South Challenge Cup looks a far stronger competition although too lengthy in terms of rounds and therefor cost to clubs travelling. The Junior Cup despite losing many of the bigger East teams appears to be over funded. Surely to win a league title over far more games and playing the top teams in the west twice, should merit far more financial reward than it currently does and a fraction of the money for winning or even runner up in a weaker Scottish Cup. Get it sorted SJFA.

2 hours ago, Mighty Good said:

The South Challenge Cup looks a far stronger competition although too lengthy in terms of rounds and therefor cost to clubs travelling. The Junior Cup despite losing many of the bigger East teams appears to be over funded. Surely to win a league title over far more games and playing the top teams in the west twice, should merit far more financial reward than it currently does and a fraction of the money for winning or even runner up in a weaker Scottish Cup. Get it sorted SJFA.

Your points were valid until the last sentence. Do you mean, "Get it sorted WoSFL"?