WoSFL Premier Division thread

On 20/04/2024 at 23:17, glenmuir said:

Been watching Glenafton all my life worst venue I’ve ever watched football

I think Loch Park's a decent place to watch football. Decent raised terrace, esp on one side, seating, good food outlet, bar inside ground. Think you're being harsh on your old girl. 

1 hour ago, BANKIEBILL said:

I think Loch Park's a decent place to watch football. Decent raised terrace, esp on one side, seating, good food outlet, bar inside ground. Think you're being harsh on your old girl. 

Could be wrong but sure they were referring to Gartcairn there.

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Could be wrong but sure they were referring to Gartcairn there.

I certainly was Loch Park is like the Emirates Stadium compared to Gartcairns midden

On 21/04/2024 at 23:05, Cairn Cheerleader said:

To be fair, Arthurlie calling any other ground poor is like a homeless person slagging your curtains! That place is falling to bits with no ability or finance to fix it. 

Maybe, but at least Arthurlie are a likeable bunch who wouldn't resort to something like this.

All this talk about Gartcairn; and I remember when this particular cage was first built, and the use of cages is totally correct.

Cages are not and were never intended for a paying public to utilise. If you look at them all, there is only one side for spectators and that was the intention. They are for community use by youth clubs, ammies and for training. The fencing would need to be removed and a proper perimeter installed for them to be fit fir any purpose.

But problem now is; the horse is long gone from the yard on this issue.

Note: I am solely talking about the cages, not synthetic pitches which have their part to play in modern football.

As a slight caveat, if folk are honest there are ground across non-league that we visit that are falling down around us. Are they fit for purpose or do we just ignore the problems because of some nostalgic influence.

On top of that some of the grass pitches are also not fit for the league. 

I know there is no easy fix for these clubs, but moving forward the situation is only going to get worse.

Do clubs need a safety certificate from the council or is that only for licensed clubs?

n.b. not naming any clubs whose grounds and pitches I'm talking about, it's more of a general observation.

20 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

All this talk about Gartcairn; and I remember when this particular cage was first built, and the use of cages is totally correct.

Cages are not and were never intended for a paying public to utilise. If you look at them all, there is only one side for spectators and that was the intention. They are for community use by youth clubs, ammies and for training. The fencing would need to be removed and a proper perimeter installed for them to be fit fir any purpose.

But problem now is; the horse is long gone from the yard on this issue.

Note: I am solely talking about the cages, not synthetic pitches which have their part to play in modern football.

As a slight caveat, if folk are honest there are ground across non-league that we visit that are falling down around us. Are they fit for purpose or do we just ignore the problems because of some nostalgic influence.

On top of that some of the grass pitches are also not fit for the league. 

I know there is no easy fix for these clubs, but moving forward the situation is only going to get worse.

Do clubs need a safety certificate from the council or is that only for licensed clubs?

n.b. not naming any clubs whose grounds and pitches I'm talking about, it's more of a general observation.

Fair enough but what's the solution? If these grounds, in particular the older ones, are deemed unfit for purpose and the clubs don't have the means to upgrade, do they go to the wall or approach another club for a ground share? It would be great to think that there could be some funding available from government either local or national but that's about as likely to happen as @PossilYM moving to Ayrshire.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

Fair enough but what's the solution? If these grounds, in particular the older ones, are deemed unfit for purpose and the clubs don't have the means to upgrade, do they go to the wall or approach another club for a ground share? It would be great to think that there could be some funding available from government either local or national but that's about as likely to happen as @PossilYM moving to Ayrshire.

I'm not having a go at any clubs which is why I intentionally didn't name any. Worry is though, as time goes on will some grounds become unfit for use. As we know governments in these isles pay lip service to sport and recreation, so don't look to them for any assistance.

I know folk hate the idea  but is a proper groundshare, not one being a tenant, a solution moving forward. We all want our clubs to have a future and be sustainable, so is it time to start looking seriously at the condition of grounds rather than cover it up by calling an old  possibly dangerous ground atmospheric and the like.

@PossilYM a true Glesga boy, its not only Ayrshire he has an aversion to Lanarkshire too.

Still say he had a bad experience with a girl from the Boots factory across from the futuristic MTC.