WoSFL Premier Division thread

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Every team that finishes top of their league should have the opportunity to achieve promotion if they meet the required standards to progress. That's a functioning pyramid structure and already have that in place. 

There's absolutely no reason why automatic promotion should be granted for winning a league. It doesn't actually strengthen the quality of the levels above if the 'best' from a regional tier comes up every other season and stinks the place out reliably.

You're appealing to 'common sense' because there's no other reason to justify your personal preference; having already abandoned the claim that a 'bottleneck' exists in the current structure. 

'Doesn't strengthen quality' and 'No other reason other than common sense', well that is flawed, (just now)

Take SPFL 2, every team relegated into the Lowland league and suppose the Highland league with Brechin, none of them have been promoted back, (unless there's one sneaked through that I've forgot about), this tells us that those teams who have came from the SPFL2 are not as good as teams in the Lowland League.  I would also say the same from being relegated from the Lowland into the WOSFL and the EOSFL, (just for ease I'm taking the SOSFL out of this) This will eventually stop as in teams relegated from the SPFL2 and the Lowland will be good enough to come back but in the past 5 years even more you can see the strength of teams below 'tier 5' moving up, making 'tier 5' a stronger league showing us that in the Lowland league is now the strongest ever since its inception, (and still many think it can become better and stronger still)

You should have a straight forward relegation and promotion and yes 3 up 3 down is perfect but I do have a different take on the SPFL2 that it should be an automictic relegation and the 2nd bottom in relegation playoff, 2nd bottom to make it exciting for all fans, which has proven to work.

There is no doubt in my mind the SPFL will eventually get tougher in quality with teams moving up to it and weaker being relegated but there is the question of better teams being relegated just because the committee are weak and or the manager and coaching staff are weak.

You can see why the majority of fans, teams, committee, players are unhappy with the way it is the now, and forgot to add, neutrals will and do feel the same way

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

On 18/04/2024 at 17:27, Cowden Cowboy said:

It’s hardly an embarrassment - there was no promotion to Tier 4 and the SPFL though gave that concession for nothing in return.  Why should the SPFL make another concession - what’s in it for them.  It also doesn’t seem that all the Tier 5 clubs that have won promotion are advocating that the SPFL change the current arrangement.  

That's a fair point to make re multiple leagues below, not saying I agree but I get your viewpoint on it; but I'd like to think we agree the club finishing bottom of the higher league do not deserve another chance to escape as is the case with club 42. 

The number of clubs promoted I suppose should be dependent on the number of clubs relegated. That is a decent discussion topic.

It is more relevant in SPFL2 with only the 10 clubs. But there is enough 'space' in the LL to accommodate automatic promotion from 2 league's.

3 is maybe just stretching it too far.

It's noticeable to me that most posters on any point to be honest look at from their own clubs perspective but it is also dependent on which league they occupy at ti's present moment.

As an outsider I find this quite amusing.

8 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

That's a fair point to make re multiple leagues below, not saying I agree but I get your viewpoint on it; but I'd like to think we agree the club finishing bottom of the higher league do not deserve another chance to escape as is the case with club 42. 

The number of clubs promoted I suppose should be dependent on the number of clubs relegated. That is a decent discussion topic.

It is more relevant in SPFL2 with only the 10 clubs. But there is enough 'space' in the LL to accommodate automatic promotion from 2 league's.

3 is maybe just stretching it too far.

It's noticeable to me that most posters on any point to be honest look at from their own clubs perspective but it is also dependent on which league they occupy at ti's present moment.

As an outsider I find this quite amusing.

Well given its really only an issue at Tier 4 to 5 and 6 to 5 then that's where focus is. You win a league then - if there's a league above and its part of same progression - then you should be promoted subject to meeting criteria. Self interest kicks in mibbee with regards to declaring an alternate if the Champion Club - in this case - is not licenced. I think I come down on the make Tier 6 licenced side. Then it's not an issue as it brings it entirely under control of the West set-up

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

For the sake of the return to two-legged semis there's been 8 Premier games played on a Saturday. Teams left idle, games squeezed into midweek.

All so that the SJFA could take the bulk of the gate money and pay it back as prize money. I still find it surprising they were able to get away it when every other cup competition is cutting out replays and even extra-time in a lot of cases. 

They get away with it because clearly clubs are happy with the arrangement.  I haven't heard or seen any representations to change anything from those WOS clubs who don't participate in the JC.

23 minutes ago, energyzone said:

They get away with it because clearly clubs are happy with the arrangement.  I haven't heard or seen any representations to change anything from those WOS clubs who don't participate in the JC.

How can a non-SJFA club propose an SJFA rule change?

16 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

How can a non-SJFA club propose an SJFA rule change?

Via the WOSFL - by proposing not allocating Saturdays throughout the season for the junior cup.  Prioritise the league and the compulsory cups and let the SJFA have the headache of working out when to accommodate their optional competition.  That way they can make early plans as to when to have their two-legged semis which causes minimum disruption.

3 hours ago, BANKIEBILL said:

Well given its really only an issue at Tier 4 to 5 and 6 to 5 then that's where focus is. You win a league then - if there's a league above and its part of same progression - then you should be promoted subject to meeting criteria. Self interest kicks in mibbee with regards to declaring an alternate if the Champion Club - in this case - is not licenced. I think I come down on the make Tier 6 licenced side. Then it's not an issue as it brings it entirely under control of the West set-up

Going forward Tier 6 is looking likely to be a licensed level.

Is there a possible argument for Tier 6 being a 'staging post', in that clubs are either fully licensed or are in the process of getting licensed. I'm thinking of clubs that are moving up from tiers below 6, could be deemed unfair or even unnecessary for them to be licensed when promotion might never happen. Also thinking about clubs, more relevant in a 16 team division, who are almost never going to challenge for the title but are good enough to stay there.

Is it fair or sporting to force such a club to get a license they might never actually use.

It's a tricky one that needs proper thought and consultation.

Of course in 5 years time Tier 6 clubs being licensed might be a requirement; then the licensing issue moves down a Tier.

This is when proper and realistic levels of licensing can come into play, e.g. Entry Tier 6, Entry+ Tier 5 and so on. 

Might sound fanciful but is it the way forward?

3 hours ago, energyzone said:

Via the WOSFL - by proposing not allocating Saturdays throughout the season for the junior cup.  Prioritise the league and the compulsory cups and let the SJFA have the headache of working out when to accommodate their optional competition.  That way they can make early plans as to when to have their two-legged semis which causes minimum disruption.

Can you write that rule in a way that would pass a vote?

Since the league has went into the pyramid (the west prem), more and more semis the south Ayrshire clubs are suffering getting league/match winning teams on the park. With Cumnock the Glens and talbot struggling most league seasons since its inception. Are we going to see them drop away continuously to the point they want the juniors back ?

16 minutes ago, Clubberlang said:

Since the league has went into the pyramid (the west prem), more and more semis the south Ayrshire clubs are suffering getting league/match winning teams on the park. With Cumnock the Glens and talbot struggling most league seasons since its inception. Are we going to see them drop away continuously to the point they want the juniors back ?

Talbot were runners up the first 2 seasons hsrdly struggling.

15 minutes ago, andy25 said:

Talbot were runners up the first 2 seasons hsrdly struggling.

This clubberlang only joined an hour ago  He's all over the SJC semi thread spouting pish.

Put him on the ignore step, methinks Andy.

Or could start a new game to guess true identity of 'clubberlang', afore he disappears or gets disappeared.

Another good win for us today, particularly given the limited options available to the manager. 

I have time for every club at this level trying to make the best of what they have but I have to say, it is a disgrace that MTC Park is considered an acceptable venue to charge £8 to watch a game at. No toilets, no food and the capacity must be tiny(not helped by dedicating half of the touchline to the small volume of home fans). Overtakes New Tinto as the worst venue in the league and it's not even close. 

Edited by Dean Learner

1 minute ago, Dean Learner said:

Another good win for us today, particularly given the limited options available to the manager. 

I have time for every club at this level trying to make the best of what they have but I have to say, it is a disgrace that MTC Park is considered an acceptable venue to charge £8 to watch a game at. No toilets, no food and the safe capacity must be tiny(not helped by dedicating half of the touchline to the tiny volume of home fans). Overtakes New Tinto as the worst venue in the league and it's not even close. 

When we at Gartcairn twice there was two porta-toilets and a food van. Was the latter missing today? 

15 minutes ago, Josuke Higashikata said:

When we at Gartcairn twice there was two porta-toilets and a food van. Was the latter missing today? 

All of that was missing. 

Toilets and a vending machine in the leisure centre. The guy there told us there was a cafe up the road but never bothered. 

4 minutes ago, Dean Learner said:

All of that was missing. 

Toilets and a vending machine in the leisure centre. The guy there told us there was a cafe up the road but never bothered. 

What happened to the much heralded food hub they said was up and running. I missed our game up there this season thankfully but It is a terrible venue. When they applied for membership of the SJFA a lot of big promises in relation to their ground was made at that time, none of which has happened. 

1 hour ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

This clubberlang only joined an hour ago  He's all over the SJC semi thread spouting pish.

Put him on the ignore step, methinks Andy.

Or could start a new game to guess true identity of 'clubberlang', afore he disappears or gets disappeared..

Fully agree.

The guy’s obviously a complete numpty.

Among the other shite he’s peddling, he doesn’t even know that the three clubs he mentioned are in EAST Ayrshire and we’re proud to have them.