The George Galloway "Unity Party" thread

Ross.

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

I'll probably lose this as I just found out the Legalise Cannabis Party once got exactly 420 votes.

On this one however I'm happy to bet a bit more than £10 on this not happening, with the charity being my own bank account.

So you think zero seats?

9 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I dunno I'm really after Ross taking a big bet because I know he can afford it

I'm pretty sure 50 swiss francs could buy a small studio flat in Leith these days.

8 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I dunno I'm really after Ross taking a big bet because I know he can afford it

Absolutely not a chance I am betting on this one. I can't make heads nor tails of what I think about it all.

Galloway is a great speaker and I can see him getting folk behind it through sheer force of will, however, and it is a big however, absolutely all of the other British nationalist parties would be absolutely mental to get into bed with this in the longer term, so I expect at some point that they will try and distance their voters from joining him. The problem with that is that the Labour/Conservatives//Lib Dems in Scotland have consistently made an absolute c**t of things for a considerable time, so there is a chance they could offer some loose backing in the hope it swings some constituencies away from the SNP.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I'm pretty sure 50 swiss francs could buy a small studio flat in Leith these days.

Not since gentrification. I could perhaps buy Bonnyrigg or Dalkeith though,

4 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Why on earth would you want to?

Cheaper drugs than Zürich.

On topic, I see George is now saying that they will only stand in list seats with one candidate agreeing to take the first vote and a second going for the list votes. Seems it won't be a party as such, just an agreement with other parties to back each other up where necessary. In essence, George Galloway is asking Scots to vote Conservative in many places.

Edited by Ross.

Has Galloway not had a pop at this before though? Some kind of "the refs keep cheating Celtic because they are racist" party and it was a laughing stock?

Maybe now he's going Tory it will work out better

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

If they stand in the Scottish elections they will pick up a few seats, thanks to PR and the list system.

The majority of people I have seen on Twitter offering support seem to be English or American, with a few of the usual anti SNP/anti Independence blogger types like Effie Deans thrown in.

Not a chance.

He stood as a list candidate in Glasgow for Respect in the 2011 election and got just under 7000 votes, which was 3.3%.

Hilariously that did mean he got more votes than the Lib Dems, but it was still barely half the votes needed to take a list seat. While 2011 was obviously prior to the constitution being the main fault line in Scottish politics, there's no reason to believe he'd manage to hit the 6/7% necessary to sneak in, and if anything Unionist tactical voting would make it less likely to get in rather than more. No Unionist deciding to vote tactically to return the maximum number of unionists is going to vote for a Galloway party if they actually understand the voting system.

None of the pro-Union parties are going to perform well enough in constituencies that a list vote for them would be a waste. Unionists using their list vote on a fringe party would just make it more likely that the Greens take seats at the expense of Tories, Labour or Lib Dems and reduce the number of unionist MSPs - generally the best thing for unionists to do it if they're voting tactically on that single issue is to give both votes to the same party.

On the other hand, if just a tenth of the SNP list voters in the six regions other than H&I and South Scotland in 2016 had given their list vote to the Greens instead they'd have six more seats, four from the Tories and one each from Labour & Lib Dems, without the SNP losing anything, and there'd be a much more substantial parliamentary majority for independence.

The SNP's dominance of constituencies means tactical voting strategies which would work are completely different for pro-union and pro-independence voters, so a fringe unionist party trying to game the system on the list and pulling in thousands of votes would hurt unionist parties overall.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

a fringe unionist party trying to game the system on the list and pulling in thousands of votes would hurt unionist parties overall.

He now seems to be trying to frame it as getting the British nationalist parties to coordinate and stand/vote tactically.

5 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

The chances of the George Galloway Respect Worker's Party of Great Britain Tory Brexit Labour Anti-independence Coalition Hat Wearing Indoor Extravaganza Party getting a seat is very very very close to nil.

But it would make the ballot papers a bit longer/wider.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

Has Galloway not had a pop at this before though? Some kind of "the refs keep cheating Celtic because they are racist" party and it was a laughing stock?

Maybe now he's going Tory it will work out better

Racist refs would be more likely to give Tories decisions, decent shout. 

5 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

that weird Highlands guy in the audience on Question Time that was ranting about GOD AND COUNTRY a few years back

I'd vote for him, legend.

5 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Brian Spanner MSP.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

JK Rowland.

Already been said, Welshy