Sportscene watch

What a heap of shite they're coming out with to try and justify the decision. Clear offside as Hatate touching the ball dictates where the ball ends up whether he means it or not. Since when has intent to play the ball mattered when someone has actually connected with it while in an offside position? Guaranteed that goal gets called off if it happens at the other end 

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Am I being daft or should the Celtic 2nd goal not have stood? Surely the Celtic boy coming back from an offside position is interfering with the play making the Killie boy play the ball? 

"Making" someone play the ball (i.e. a defender deciding to play the ball so that it doesn't end up at a striker) is not a criteria for interfering with play though, Hatate did not challenge or impact/prevent the defender playing the ball. https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/offside/#offside-offence

Provided of course that it is deemed a deliberate play by the defender as per law 11 above. Would need to see it again once it's on iPlayer.

1 hour ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

What a heap of shite they're coming out with to try and justify the decision. Clear offside as Hatate touching the ball dictates where the ball ends up whether he means it or not. Since when has intent to play the ball mattered when someone has actually connected with it while in an offside position? Guaranteed that goal gets called off if it happens at the other end 

If the ball is deliberately played by the defender then it doesn't matter that Hatate is in an offside position.

24 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

"Making" someone play the ball (i.e. a defender deciding to play the ball so that it doesn't end up at a striker) is not a criteria for interfering with play though, Hatate did not challenge or impact/prevent the defender playing the ball. https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/offside/#offside-offence

Provided of course that it is deemed a deliberate play by the defender as per law 11 above. Would need to see it again once it's on iPlayer.

If the ball is deliberately played by the defender then it doesn't matter that Hatate is in an offside position.

I would argue strongly Hatate did impede/challenge Findlay in playing the ball, if Hatate wasn’t there then he’s got enough time/space to control it then pass/hoof it to f**k. 

Even if Hatate is trying to “get out of the way” as the idiots on Sportscene put it, Hatate has still forced Findlay into the playing the ball. 

IMO switch Hatate for Vassell and Findlay for Scales and it’s given as offside other end of the pitch 

8 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Not sure I get the controversy of Celtic's second.

Its onside. And has been an onside call for about 20 years.

Not sure your reasoning is all that it could be. There are fouls that would have been allowed 20 years ago or less, that would be a red card now. 

On 07/10/2023 at 20:12, Zapp Brannigan said:

22 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I would argue strongly Hatate did impede/challenge Findlay in playing the ball, if Hatate wasn’t there then he’s got enough time/space to control it then pass/hoof it to f**k. 

Even if Hatate is trying to “get out of the way” as the idiots on Sportscene put it, Hatate has still forced Findlay into the playing the ball. 

IMO switch Hatate for Vassell and Findlay for Scales and it’s given as offside other end of the pitch 

There was a somewhat similar goal scored in the Champions League in midweek, where a defender played at the ball to stop it trying to go to a guy who was in an offside position, but thus sent it into the path of another player.

Having a player behind you in an offside position isn't enough, that player would have to actually get directly involved in play, for example challenging for the ball or attempting to play the ball (see the Aberdeen disallowed goal earlier). I think that is a terrible rule, personally, but it is the rule.

As soon as Findlay deliberately plays the ball, the offside is "reset", so the fact it then comes off Hatate doesn't matter, it's basically saying that Findlay now has control and it is a different passage of play. I also think that part of the rule should require some sort of consideration of whether a player is under pressure, but again it doesn't.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There was a somewhat similar goal scored in the Champions League in midweek, where a defender played at the ball to stop it trying to go to a guy who was in an offside position, but thus sent it into the path of another player.

Having a player behind you in an offside position isn't enough, that player would have to actually get directly involved in play, for example challenging for the ball or attempting to play the ball (see the Aberdeen disallowed goal earlier). I think that is a terrible rule, personally, but it is the rule.

As soon as Findlay deliberately plays the ball, the offside is "reset", so the fact it then comes off Hatate doesn't matter, it's basically saying that Findlay now has control and it is a different passage of play. I also think that part of the rule should require some sort of consideration of whether a player is under pressure, but again it doesn't.

I know from listening to the Terrace that you used to be a ref, therefore probably have a better understanding of the rules than myself and most on here.

I honestly thought that Hatate touched the ball before Findlay attempted to clear but I must be wrong. In any case Findlay wouldn't mess up the clearance if Hatate isn't standing right in the way, so I think he is interfering whether intentionally or not

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Ray Patterson said:

Did Scotsport not used to do it on a Monday night?

Show all the goals in 2 minutes before showing "highlights" of the live Setanta(?) game. Then go and speak to Graham Spiers for 25 minutes.

Can't remember, but I would doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...