COVID-19 In Scottish Football

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

How is it the fault of the unvaccinated, when the vaccine doesn't work for Omicron? If this was the case you could use yer passport still.

Who says it doesn't work. Scientist saying that protection can be up around 75%  This is all about pressure on NHS, if everyone was vaccinated there would be less pressure and therefore less likelihood that fans would be locked out.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Replacing Boxing Day and New Year games with a couple of Tuesday nights in February absolutely will have an impact on revenue, that's even without the lost time and effort having to deal with postponing games at less than a week's notice.

While that might be the case for some games, I'd imagine the Celtic V Rangers match scheduled for January 2 would still attract a healthy crowd on a Tuesday night. Certainly a lot more than 500... Ditto Hibs v Hearts and many others.

Bringing forward the winter break makes sense. Which is why it probably won't happen.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Are you serious?  Vaccines don’t eliminate Covid but they reduce the likelihood of infection and the intensity.  Boosters, which are now widely available, offer far greater protection.

So why not stick to the passports then on events over 500? Can't blame the unvaccinated for everything.

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

And things like this are why it's sensible to hit a pause on games. We could end up in a situation that some teams play all their games and others play none. Chaos in January when some teams have 3 games in hand on others and them all squeezed up.

If we all have to go to a game midweek in late Jan vs late Dec, so what. It will still be cold, St Johnstone still won't score and refs will still be shit. For the derby games, crowds won't be found much.

I think folks reactions boils down more to politics, not liking being told what to do and if they were honest, being a bit scared of what is/has/or might be happening. 

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think the problem (for all govts) is that they dont really know whats going to work.

As evidenced with the French travel ban on us. They thought it would buy them a couple of weeks and it turns out that Omicron is raging over there (despite mandatory masks even outdoor cafes etc, more stringent vaccine passport requirements etc).

Our lot are trying to get us to stay in a bit more, and not mingle - on buses / tubes / trains etc, hence all these restrictions.

But I don’t think it’s really fair to say that it couldn’t be predicted that the French travel ban wouldn’t work. Lots of scientists did - as soon as the risks of local transmission exceed the risk of imported cases, the bans are worthless. 

I think there’s a lot of scope for better communication on the restrictions, especially as they become more polarising.

Dens going from close to a sell out for the derby to only 500 season ticket holders is some loss for the club. And I’m sure there will be many worse than us since it seemed a few were on the brink last time.
it’s a kick in the balls for the fans for sure. Triple vaccinated does seem like it didn’t make a difference. 
Isn't the 500 figure the total permitted within the stadium inc players, officials, tv, press etc so in effect it will be so few fans to make it closed doors. It's not 500 spectators.

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

And things like this are why it's sensible to hit a pause on games. We could end up in a situation that some teams play all their games and others play none. Chaos in January when some teams have 3 games in hand on others and them all squeezed up.

If we all have to go to a game midweek in late Jan vs late Dec, so what. It will still be cold, St Johnstone still won't score and refs will still be shit. For the derby games, crowds won't be found much.

I think folks reactions boils down more to politics, not liking being told what to do and if they were honest, being a bit scared of what is/has/or might be happening. 

There is no guarantee other clubs that could play now won't have an outbreak later.

Stacking games for later is leaving less and less wiggle room to get the full season played.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

While that might be the case for some games, I'd imagine the Celtic V Rangers match scheduled for January 2 would still attract a healthy crowd on a Tuesday night. Certainly a lot more than 500... Ditto Hibs v Hearts and many others.

Bringing forward the winter break makes sense. Which is why it probably won't happen.

I'm not saying it's not a sensible approach, I was replying to the bootlicker who claimed it would have no impact on income.

The challenge, of course, will be finding a date at all, Tuesday night or otherwise for that Celtic v Rangers game. Starting the break now would postpone 3 rounds of Premiership fixtures, and starting back on 17th January (the end of the Scottish government's "three week" period) would only give one extra fixture date.

You'd then have 2 outstanding fixtures for each club - no real issue for the rest of the league, but potentially hugely problematic for the two clubs who are left in Europe.

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

There is no guarantee other clubs that could play now won't have an outbreak later.

Stacking games for later is leaving less and less wiggle room to get the full season played.

It's bringing the winter break forward by a week. Thereby "stacking" two games. Right before this variant hits its peak.

Just now, G51 said:

But I don’t think it’s really fair to say that it couldn’t be predicted that the French travel ban wouldn’t work. Lots of scientists did - as soon as the risks of local transmission exceed the risk of imported cases, the bans are worthless. 

I think there’s a lot of scope for better communication on the restrictions, especially as they become more polarising.

Sorry, yes I didnt phrase that well.

I meant that the French were scrabbling around for something "to do about Omicron", had no clue what to do nor even a handle on their case numbers (they still dont) so came up with this half arsed travel ban on the UK - which (by the time they brought it in) had already been rubbished after everyone closed the door on South Africa.

It also had a political overtone for Macron in an election year, but (afaik from people who live in France) nobody there was fooled and most thought it was fucking stupid.

Long way of saying..............I agree !!

3 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Possibly not, but by the end of Jan, we will know better how this all spreads and what impact it has on hospitals etc. We could end up with full stadiums come the end of Jan if it shows not to be as bad as predicted.