COVID-19 In Scottish Football

1 minute ago, DieDee said:

Problem with bringing forward winter break is that the current forecast is virus to peak end Jan beginning Feb so expect follow up announcement of further restrictions till numbers start to fall

Better to grasp the nettle, do it early and hope for the best rather than just plough on regardless and wait for the inevitable to happen.

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

Possibly not, but by the end of Jan, we will know better how this all spreads and what impact it has on hospitals etc. We could end up with full stadiums come the end of Jan if it shows not to be as bad as predicted. 

So end of january now... that is another 2 weeks. You see how these things gets stretched out.

There is ZERO evidence that football spectators have contributed to any significant increase in Covid rates, infections or hospitilisations. Most people go to footlball once every two weeks which makes it a tiny fraction of people's interactions.

The banning of spectators for outdoor seated sporting events should be opposed at every level imo. Open or terraced events (horse racing/lower league football) has potential for more mingling so perhaps there is a case for some restrictions on attendance, for example 50% capacity.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, spongeheid15 said:

Screenshot_20211214_193015_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.8523cc746ee310d0651f59c66e547419.jpg

Just f**k off back to the politics thread or better still just f**k off.

maybe your dear leader should fk off and stop booting football clubs and fans that have bought tickets for festive fixtures in good faith and are going to be shafted because she got out of bed the wrong way. It's not just a politics issue when she doing this and she deserves called out. 

16 minutes ago, G51 said:

But I don’t think it’s really fair to say that it couldn’t be predicted that the French travel ban wouldn’t work. Lots of scientists did - as soon as the risks of local transmission exceed the risk of imported cases, the bans are worthless. 

I think there’s a lot of scope for better communication on the restrictions, especially as they become more polarising.

I concur, it's a case of 'Don't shut the stable door after the horse has bolted'.

They need to fund a global vaccination programme but even then there's too much skepticism from disinformation from, mostly, the right-wing being spread online for even that to succeed. 

I can't help but think that we're going to be stuck in this loop until a far more deadlier variant rips through or  a weaker strain becomes dominant and the annual death rate will be similar to flu.

However, this parochialism of richer states looking after themselves isn't working.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I also have issues with the Winter Break. And I don't think shoving a bunch of fixtures into February midweeks is a actually a good idea.

In terms of the weather, I tend to agree. February is usually mingin.

45 minutes ago, G51 said:

But not everyone is paying attention. Lots of people don’t want or are able to follow the intricacies of COVID/politics/whatever.

People can rewrite history if they like, but there’s no doubt that people were incentivised to take the vaccine on the basis that they’d get their social life back in return.

If you weren't paying attention then you can hardly complain that you didn't understand. 

Just now, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Pointless if it's going to be 500 punters.  500 vaxed and boosted fans in a 20k open air stadium like Easter Road. Get them in hazmat suits next Nicola, never know hen.

I think you might need a wee lie down, you dont want to risk an aneurysm at the moment, hospitals are quite busy I hear.

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

If you weren't paying attention then you can hardly complain that you didn't understand. 

So you forfeit your right to be angry about the government welching on their promises if you don’t keep up to date with all the constant fucking misery surrounding Covid? That doesn’t seem right.

First Minister’s COVID-19 Update

The Joint Response Group sympathises with clubs and supporters across the country following today’s confirmation by the First Minister that Scottish football will again be subject to restrictions on stadium capacity.

From Boxing Day and for three weeks thereafter, football attendances will be capped at 500 people in line with all outdoor events. One metre physical distancing will also be required within a stadium during that time.

The JRG is already in discussions with Scottish Government on behalf of clubs to ensure any loss of income at this critical period will be compensated via the COVID-19 support fund announced by the First Minister. The JRG will be holding a series of consultations about the impact of the new restrictions over the next 24 hours.

The JRG has worked collaboratively with Scottish Government throughout the pandemic to ensure the stadium environment can be a safe and enjoyable experience for all, including the recent introduction of vaccine certification spot checking and asking supporters to demonstrate a negative Lateral Flow Test prior to arrival.

A daily testing regime has been introduced across the Scottish Professional Football League and enhanced protocols implemented for playing and team staff.

Equally, we are aware of the threat of the Omicron variant of the COVID-19 virus and, to that end, have volunteered the use of stadia across the country to aid the vaccine and booster jab programmes.

We appreciate the tough decisions faced by the government and clinicians in suppressing the transmission of Omicron and while we believe the mitigations implemented will have enabled stadia to be as safe as possible for the two weeks prior to the winter break, we have no control over the transport risks highlighted in today’s update.

Rod Petrie, Joint Response Group Chair: “Today’s announcement is a source of disappointment to hundreds of thousands of fans across the country, for whom attending football matches during the festive season has been a tradition spanning generations.

“None the less, public health remains a priority for everyone in society as well as a responsibility for industries across the country, including football. The JRG exists to be the conduit between the national game and the Scottish Government throughout the pandemic and will continue to work with our members to ensure a seamless implementation of the new restrictions, whilst working on their behalf to ensure compensation for lost revenue via the UK and Scottish Government’s latest COVID relief fund.”

Neil Doncaster, Scottish Professional Football League Chief Executive: “Today’s news will be a hammer blow to clubs and fans across the country, who simply could not have done more to mitigate the impact of the ongoing pandemic. Despite the enormous financial impact, the 42 clubs have provided an invaluable source of reassurance, support and relief from the day-to-day impact of COVID-19 in communities throughout Scotland and they will continue to do so.

“Our clubs have adapted quickly and effectively to previous restrictions, and we will work with them in implementing the guidance from today’s announcement in the coming days.”

SPFL statement.

Looking for direct money for these latest restrictions.

12 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

So end of january now... that is another 2 weeks. You see how these things gets stretched out.

There is ZERO evidence that football spectators have contributed to any significant increase in Covid rates, infections or hospitilisations. Most people go to footlball once every two weeks which makes it a tiny fraction of people's interactions.

The banning of spectators for outdoor seated sporting events should be opposed at every level imo. Open or terraced events (horse racing/lower league football) has potential for more mingling so perhaps there is a case for some restrictions on attendance, for example 50% capacity.

But the end of January is when the winter break ends, hence why I say end of Jan.....

If we were having this debate in March I could understand folk getting upset, but, we are right in the middle of the season and about to go into a winter break at the time there is a higher probability of games getting called off anyway. If we postpone a couple of games for each team, I really do not see the issue. If it goes beyond a couple of games, then yes, I'd agree there will be problems. 

18 minutes ago, Darren said:

Better to grasp the nettle, do it early and hope for the best rather than just plough on regardless and wait for the inevitable to happen.

It’s a couple of games with limited numbers. After a season of BCD games it’s no biggy as things stand.

The problem is if after the three weeks there is no change. What then? It’s predicted that we won’t hit the peak of this variant until the end of January/ beginning of February. 

If games can be played they must be played! 

4 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

But the end of January is when the winter break ends, hence why I say end of Jan.....

If we were having this debate in March I could understand folk getting upset, but, we are right in the middle of the season and about to go into a winter break at the time there is a higher probability of games getting called off anyway. If we postpone a couple of games for each team, I really do not see the issue. If it goes beyond a couple of games, then yes, I'd agree there will be problems. 

The end of january is not when the Winter Break ends.

The Scottish Cup is scheduled for the 22nd, there is a midweek round of league fixtures on the 26th and another round on the 29th.

AND if we bring the Winter Break forward there would be league fixtures on the 15th and probably the 19th to make up for the lost dates.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think you might need a wee lie down, you dont want to risk an aneurysm at the moment, hospitals are quite busy I hear.

Forgive me for not lying back and taking this up the tradesmans like you. You'll be in the hossie before me with that approach. Will bring you some grapes, carefully scrubbed for covid or course. 

maybe your dear leader should fk off and stop booting football clubs and fans that have bought tickets for festive fixtures in good faith and are going to be shafted because she got out of bed the wrong way. It's not just a politics issue when she doing this and she deserves called out. 
Perfectly valid point I was referring to your previous purely political rant which fully deserved the f**k off treatment.

The JRG are wanting compensation for lost revenue due to crowd limits.

Meanwhile it looks like the winter break is being brought forward to cover the crowd limits period.

How can compensation be claimed if teams are on the winter break.....