Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

The A96 is genuinely one of the most terrible roads around. It's up there with the A9.

I used to commute from Keith to Aberdeen for a while.  All the worst bits of the A96 at least 10 times a week.

On 15/10/2020 at 20:26, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the last time trains carrying passengers ran on that stretch of track was for the papal visit at Bellahouston in 1982.

I can recommend the Pathetic Motorways website for an hour's worth of entertainment if you're interested in the Scottish motorway system, or an afternoon's worth if you take in the whole UK. Some of it is out of date following the M74 extension into Glasgow and completion of the M8 missing link.

It doesn't cover either the Abercrombie or Buchanan plans to drive motorways right through the centre of Edinburgh, a fate that Glasgow sadly failed to avoid.

On 08/10/2020 at 17:44, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Blame the bus companies for that one. They have ramped up fares and made buses very expensive to use as a one off. It is almost impossible to find fare information for First Bus online for anything lower than a day ticket. And they have weird local restrictions that make no sense. For example Motherwell is in a different network area to Bellshill and Hamilton.

The way buses are run in some parts of scotland make Scotrail look like paradigms of efficiency and affordability.

Really?

As part of our national commitment to doing nothing new or interesting ever Argyll and Bute Council's preferred option is 1 and shifting the roadnonto the other side of the Glen to the existing A83
EksE2pIX0AAMa7Y.thumb.jpeg.540e907d1ffd1291d391d34ef76669da.jpeg
I won't be surprised at all when this boring, cheapest option is chosen but thought ABC would have pushed for something more adventurous. As an occasional reader of the Argyllshire Advertiser, it's always seemed that local councillors and politicians wanted the situation addressed properly with some more ambition, particularly when the other side is likely to face the same ground conditions and likely difficulties. I personally fancied the idea of a bridge over towards Lochgilphead but it would have reduced the temptation to pop into Fyne Ales.

As I type this the news has just reported The Rest is closed overnight due to the wet weather again.

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I won't be surprised at all when this boring, cheapest option is chosen but thought ABC would have pushed for something more adventurous. As an occasional reader of the Argyllshire Advertiser, it's always seemed that local councillors and politicians wanted the situation addressed properly with some more ambition, particularly when the other side is likely to face the same ground conditions and likely difficulties. I personally fancied the idea of a bridge over towards Lochgilphead but it would have reduced the temptation to pop into Fyne Ales.

As I type this the news has just reported The Rest is closed overnight due to the wet weather again.

TBF to them I think they have said 1 is preferred as it needs to happen quickly. They haven't ruled out supporting 2-5 In future.

However,IMO that's all about keeping the main route entirely (almost) in A&B. Having something originating in Greenock and linking to the central belt motorway network makes far more senses than investing in a road to Arrochar.

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

TBF to them I think they have said 1 is preferred as it needs to happen quickly. They haven't ruled out supporting 2-5 In future.

However,IMO that's all about keeping the main route entirely (almost) in A&B. Having something originating in Greenock and linking to the central belt motorway network makes far more senses than investing in a road to Arrochar.

While it obviously doesn't present anything like the logistical challenges Arrochar does, the roads in Greenock are themselves completely unsuitable for the amount of traffic you'd get coming from the M8 if you had eg a bridge connecting to Cowal then another from Cowal to join the A83 near Lochgilphead.

The A78 can already move slowly enough when it's only local traffic for Inverkip, Wemyss Bay (with Bute traffic heading there as well) and North Ayrshire. If you were adding all the traffic that currently crosses the Clyde via the tunnel or Erskine Bridge to head round to the Rest and Be Thankful, then factoring in the inevitable tailbacks on the A8 as well it would take almost as long to get 5 miles through Greenock as it does to get from the Erskine Bridge to the Rest.

The parts of the road that would cause a problem are all in residential areas as well, so it's not like there's an easy solution in dualling the sections that aren't already, without bulldozing houses and whacking a 60mph road where people still need to cross the street.

This is all before considering the issue of the road through Cowal itself. Quite keen on the idea of one continuous bridge from Greenock to Lochgilphead just for the craic of the logistics.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

While it obviously doesn't present anything like the logistical challenges Arrochar does, the roads in Greenock are themselves completely unsuitable for the amount of traffic you'd get coming from the M8 if you had eg a bridge connecting to Cowal then another from Cowal to join the A83 near Lochgilphead.

The A78 can already move slowly enough when it's only local traffic for Inverkip, Wemyss Bay (with Bute traffic heading there as well) and North Ayrshire. If you were adding all the traffic that currently crosses the Clyde via the tunnel or Erskine Bridge to head round to the Rest and Be Thankful, then factoring in the inevitable tailbacks on the A8 as well it would take almost as long to get 5 miles through Greenock as it does to get from the Erskine Bridge to the Rest.

The parts of the road that would cause a problem are all in residential areas as well, so it's not like there's an easy solution in dualling the sections that aren't already, without bulldozing houses and whacking a 60mph road where people still need to cross the street.

This is all before considering the issue of the road through Cowal itself. Quite keen on the idea of one continuous bridge from Greenock to Lochgilphead just for the craic of the logistics.

More a tunnel man, myself.