Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

On 04/05/2023 at 07:23, virginton said:

Sauchiehall Street is objectively a shitehole. Partly because sections of it keep burning down and partly because a large part of it was very old fashioned, outdoors retail that has been crushed by online retail and the 17 indoor shopping centres built under the City of Glasgow's watch. 

It's closer to the tumbleweed fate of most badly run town centre high streets than a functioning retail and nightlife zone, and you only need to visit somewhere like Newcastle to see the difference between the two. 

You don't need to go as far as Newcastle to see a functioning retail and nightlife zone just walk across to Buchanan Street and the Merchant City. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another reason not to use public transport

Ten in hospital after bus roof cut off in Glasgow bridge crash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-65665113

Have any P&Bers ever been decapitated on the commute to work?

Edited by Newbornbairn

CEC continuing to have something of a nightmare when trying to improve cycling routes around the city. The latest farce is this contraflow cycle lane in one way street with parked cars either side. As can be seen from the picture there is precious little space for a bike and car to pass each other.

FxABhQKWICQYKQh.thumb.jpg.8d5c9b1f28c7583951bdeb63cd82bf30.jpg

1 minute ago, RiG said:

CEC continuing to have something of a nightmare when trying to improve cycling routes around the city. The latest farce is this contraflow cycle lane in one way street with parked cars either side. As can be seen from the picture there is precious little space for a bike and car to pass each other.

They've added stretches of dedicated Cycle lanes on the properly dangerous bits  (The junctions and the blind corner)  but they're not going to be politically able to sacrifice any more resident parking spaces 

So it's now basically like a single lane country road if you meet traffic coming the other way you'll just have to deal with it like grown ups. It's generally not too busy so this might yet work

And at least it will keep the cyclists away from the pedestrians

14 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

They've added stretches of dedicated Cycle lanes on the properly dangerous bits  (The junctions and the blind corner)  but they're not going to be politically able to sacrifice any more resident parking spaces 

So it's now basically like a single lane country road if you meet traffic coming the other way you'll just have to deal with it like grown ups. It's generally not too busy so this might yet work

And at least it will keep the cyclists away from the pedestrians

Ah right. I've avoid it since Valleyfield Street nearby had a contraflow lane added for cyclists heading from the Meadows to Leven Street due to Tarvitt Street being closed. Seems to be decent space there for both directions to coexist well. This one just seems destined to bring about more conflict for vulnerable road users which seems daft. I'll be avoiding it on the cycle to/from work.

39 minutes ago, RiG said:

To be honest, if its where I think it is, it kinda makes sense on that stretch - its a pretty quiet street and is a decent cut through from the Barclay Church to the bike / ped lanes at the bottom of the Links/Meadows.

Pretty similar to the one on Sciennes House Place which has operated this way for decades.

When I was commuting on the bike I used to look on quiet one way streets as strictly advisory................

8 hours ago, Leith Green said:

To be honest, if its where I think it is, it kinda makes sense on that stretch - its a pretty quiet street and is a decent cut through from the Barclay Church to the bike / ped lanes at the bottom of the Links/Meadows.

Pretty similar to the one on Sciennes House Place which has operated this way for decades.

When I was commuting on the bike I used to look on quiet one way streets as strictly advisory................

It could be even quieter if they closed the junction of Melville Drive/Leven Terrace, so people couldn't use it as a rat run to avoid the A700/A702 junction/

8 hours ago, Leith Green said:

And that's been formalised

Contraflow Cycling on One-way Streets
There will be a presumption
that all streets will be two way for cyclists.
Where one-way streets are implemented to manage motor traffic, cyclists should always be exempted  rom the one-way restriction.

Benefits
• Improves the permeability, accessibility and directness of the road network for cycling.
• Provides a journey time advantage for cycling.
• Avoids displacing cycle users onto busy alternative routes.
• It aids route-finding because every street is available for two way cycling.
• Contraflow cycling is generally a low cost measure.
• Formalising contraflow cycling is likely to reduce cycling on the footway.
• Universal formalisation of contraflow is likely to reduce motorist/cyclist conflict on oneway streets due to the removal of the driver’s sense that cyclists should not be there.

https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/file/24959/c5-contraflow-cycling

On 26/05/2023 at 17:57, Ginaro said:

It could be even quieter if they closed the junction of Melville Drive/Leven Terrace, so people couldn't use it as a rat run to avoid the A700/A702 junction/

It's not a bad idea but Tarvit Street reopening to traffic after the renovations to the kings theatre will probably have a bigger impact on how this all works out.

15 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's not a bad idea but Tarvit Street reopening to traffic after the renovations to the kings theatre will probably have a bigger impact on how this all works out.

Tarvit Street shouldn't be reopening to vehicles as the Meadows to Canal project closes it as one end to use it as part of a cycle route. Though the plans show a cycle track on each side of the A702 connecting to the Meadows, closing Leven Terrace would also help with junction safety so cars aren't turning across bikes.

Edited by Ginaro

27 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Rest and Be Thankful: £470m tunnel to protect vehicles from landslips - BBC News

_129956769_debris.jpg

Mingboggling this cover will cost half a billion £ (before over-runs/etc.).

Well over £300,000-per-metre.

What is the idea? Does the landslide still happen and slide right over the tunnel?