Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

The Scottish Government have asked all local councils to carry out an audit to check how many Scottish schools have Reinformced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC) in their buildings after nearly 100 schools in England had to close areas due to the material, which isn't as strong as normal concrete and could be prone to collapse.  The material has been found in NHS buildings and some schools already in Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66682341

I think I'm right in saying most of these buildings date to the 1970s.  I went to Secondary School in the 1990s in a school built in the 1970s and it was already falling to bits.  What the hell were people doing in those days?

I can't remember which poster is the concrete guy.  is it @Melanius Mullarkay ?

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Scottish Government have asked all local councils to carry out an audit to check how many Scottish schools have Reinformced Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (RAAC) in their buildings after nearly 100 schools in England had to close areas due to the material, which isn't as strong as normal concrete and could be prone to collapse.  The material has been found in NHS buildings and some schools already in Scotland.

I think I'm right in saying most of these buildings date to the 1970s.  I went to Secondary School in the 1990s in a school built in the 1970s and it was already falling to bits.  What the hell were people doing in those days?

Aye, concrete and mushrooms is his m.o.

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

1970s?! I went to school in the 1990s in a building built in the 1950s, so you can imagine the absolute state of the place.  I had plenty of classes in felt-roofed overflow 'huts', commonly with a bucket placed somewhere to catch the leak(s).

It got demolished the year after I left tbf.  Was probably Asbestos Central.

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What the hell were people doing in those days?

Staring out the window in concrete classes.

Anyway, this stuff has been known about for years. The chances of it collapsing onto you are minimal and the fact its pretty much lighter than a crunchie bar means it will probably just bounce off your dome.  Apart from the steel rebar bits.

Anyway, 'elf and safety m8.

9 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

1970s?! I went to school in the 1990s in a building built in the 1950s, so you can imagine the absolute state of the place.  I had plenty of classes in felt-roofed overflow 'huts', commonly with a bucket placed somewhere to catch the leak(s).

It got demolished the year after I left tbf.  Was probably Asbestos Central.

The giant new housing estate in next village had too small a primary built. Outrage at portacabins being brought in as a temporary solution! 

In the late 90s, I went to a High School that had only been built in the early 80s and the building was crumbling then. I dread to think what condition it's in these days. It's one that's already been named and shamed in the dodgy concrete scandal.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Builders were doing what builders do- scamming money off the government and building shoddy cheap buildings. 

I suppose PFI was a Tory response to this  1960s/1970s practice. and PFI was then taken up by New Labour: "Yes, when the Public Sector were in charge of buildings everything went above budget and they were built shoddily. The Private Sector will be much more efficient and cheaper at doing this under PFI....". 

All those magnificent, build to last, Victorian and Edwardian schools and hospitals were flogged off or flattened in favour of buildings that have barely lasted 25 years. 

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

A feasibility study for bringing back a version of the Formartine and Buchan Railway has been funded, connecting Dyce to Ellon, Peterhead and Fraserburgh.

https://www.campaignfornortheastrail.org/

About bloody time.

Used to stay in Aberdeen and the lack of public transport options were horrendous North of the city, the roads were incredibly busy, given the populations of all these commuter towns, it's absolute madness that there was no rail link north.

Cities of Aberdeen's size should really have proper commuter rail, and possibly even light rail options.

On 01/09/2023 at 14:47, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

In the late 90s, I went to a High School that had only been built in the early 80s and the building was crumbling then. I dread to think what condition it's in these days. It's one that's already been named and shamed in the dodgy concrete scandal.

Culloden Academy?

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Only nutters think Faroese style fixed links rather than ferries should be looked at in a Scottish context:

Without an appropriate smiley it's difficult to see whether you're saying Alister Jack is a nutter or that someone else who said the same thing earlier isn't

14 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Only nutters think Faroese style fixed links rather than ferries should be looked at in a Scottish context:

c00shqo60h791.jpg

https://local.fo/suduroy-tunnel-the-big-one-is-officially-underway/

Is this you, for the about the 10th time, pretending you weren't advocating for tunnels from the mainland to the Outer Hebrides.

There's already dozens of fixed links in Scotland which have replaced ferries.

^^^no actual interest in the topic. Just using it as a way to ridicule somebody he has pigeonholed as the enemy where constitutional politics are concerned.

Been a while since I was last in Shetland but having spent plenty of time there when I was younger I never had any doubt that Faroese style tunnels to Yell, Unst, Whalsay and Bressay would be something that would have widespread support there. The first minister is talking about it:

but feels a need to balance what will go over well with a Shetland audience with highlighting the cost no doubt because of the who's gonnae pay fur ma methadone if aw that money gets spent on the teuchters response this is likely to provoke from certain parts of the central belt.

The reality is that the costs of fixed links that can be used 24/7 are comparable in the long run to the costs of ferry replacements and subsidies for services that often lack the necessary capacity, have limited operating hours and sometimes have to be booked in advance.

18 hours ago, ICTChris said:

List of schools confirmed to have RAAC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66668905

I know at least one school in Edinburgh has closed large parts of it's PE department, including changing rooms due to this stuff.

My old primary school in Dundee is on the list.  I left in 1977 so I guess I had a lucky escape.