Scottish Infrastructure

jamamafegan

Just now, Florentine_Pogen said:

Not true.

Skylink 200 (Ocean Terminal) & 400 (Fort Kinnaird) services go to the airport on standard ticket.

Do they? Wasn't the case when I last lived there, the skylink was only on a higher tariff... But it was a while ago and there was only the 100 to the city centre so I'm way behind! 

3 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Do they? Wasn't the case when I last lived there, the skylink was only on a higher tariff... But it was a while ago and there was only the 100 to the city centre so I'm way behind! 

Apologies, I fecked this up. You are correct........

Single to airport on Skylink is £5.50/Return £8.00

Deleted my useless post.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Apologies, I fecked this up.

Single to airport on Skylink is £5.50/Return £8.00

Bring back the old "Turnhouse" service! At least we knew what it meant

18 hours ago, Spyro said:

Did the 36 or one of the regular service buses not got the airport before? At least it gave people with a bit of local knowledge the chance to use a normal priced service. Noticed that's stopped now and it's only the Airlink rip-off merchants or the trams that go there now. Poor show 

The 35 used to go from Ocean Terminal to the airport and you could get it for the usual Lothian Buses fare of £1.80 or whatever it was a few years back. They removed the 35 altogether and introduced the 200, 300 and 400 services at various points which had expensive fares when travelling to the airport. The 35 was brought back after a couple of years absence but it now goes to Heriot Watt University instead of the airport.   

I found an old Lothian route map from 2006 which would have been when trams construction was well underway and the routes in the city centre will have been a bit off.

lothian_bus.pdf

19 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

From the park and ride at Edinburgh airport to the city on the tram it's £2. From the actual airport to the city it's £7.50. £5.50 extra for one stop. It's criminal. 

My suspicion on this bit in bold is not that the bus/tram operator is screwing the customers, but probably the owners of Edinburgh Airport (where picking up my mum in the car costs £5 !).

I reckon if it was up to TFE it would all be part of a normal ticket*

*I dont have any inside info, but based on the fact that they are a decent operator and dont screw us on anything else.

13 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

My suspicion on this bit in bold is not that the bus/tram operator is screwing the customers, but probably the owners of Edinburgh Airport (where picking up my mum in the car costs £5 !).

I reckon if it was up to TFE it would all be part of a normal ticket*

*I dont have any inside info, but based on the fact that they are a decent operator and dont screw us on anything else.

I agree it'll be the airport owners that'll be behind the charge. It's all part of the narrative that an improvement is only an improvement if you have to pay for it. Anything free is obviously not as good. 

On 14/06/2024 at 22:45, Ginaro said:

Only the last bit past the hospital (400m) which is industrial units, the rest is cycle path, though the A1 tunnel would need realigned and there's housing which could only be accessed via a level crossing unless another entrance is added.

If there's a will to do it, we've seen that it's more than possible with the borders rail line being under a side temporary route. It could be argued that having a station right up the doorstep of a hospital(that is pretty much an A&E from being big enough) is very worthwhile utility.

On 15/06/2024 at 11:51, Enigma said:

It’s a non-starter for a couple of reasons unfortunately, capacity on the main line is one, demolishing and rebuilding a section of the A1 another. Limited political will for it too, according to Iain Gray when somebody I know spoke to him about it.

It has helped that Lothian Buses have absorbed East Lothian. 10 years ago the East Coast bus services were utter guff compared to what they are now. 

The only straw clutching hope for showing more will is there are a lot more people living there. At the rate houses are being built, it would surprise me at all to see Haddington flirting with 15k by the end of this decade.

On 17/06/2024 at 11:14, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It would probably make more sense to do a line south of the road and meet up around Wallyford

It would cost more but it would let you connect both Tranent and Haddington. 

A part of me did think a loop would make sense to cover all of East Lothian. Maybe starting at Shawfair and circling around and connecting back through the Longniddry cycle path. You'd still have to negotiate the A1 somehow. Tranent also is getting rather big and could do with being alleviated from it turning into a driving commuter town.

Capacity though, I know, I know. On the complete and utter off chance they can solve the bottleneck next to Portobello golf course and Figgate park, you could do wonders for the east side capacity. You could even connect the tram along the old seafield line from the bottom of Leith walk out to Newcraighall and then you've got a pretty well linked park and ride that could link you through the centre of Edinburgh.

Pie in the sky this, but I doubt I'm the only thinking about it.

4 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

I agree it'll be the airport owners that'll be behind the charge. It's all part of the narrative that an improvement is only an improvement if you have to pay for it. Anything free is obviously not as good. 

And right on cue to confirm this

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/edinburgh-airport-to-charge-holidaymakers-1-to-use-luggage-trolleys-and-its-non-refundable/ar-BB1ozKqg

Marc Radforth, Sales and Marketing Director at Wanzl UK, said: “We at Wanzl UK are thrilled to provide Edinburgh Airport with our state-of-the-art luggage trolleys, complemented by our innovative vending passenger payment system.

“Our commitment to enhancing traveller convenience and efficiency is at the heart of this partnership, ensuring a seamless journey from check-in to take-off. Welcome to the future of airport mobility, where every trolley is more than a tool - it's part of a superior travel experience.”

It's a frigging trolley, I don't care how state of the art it is, as long as it's got 4 working wheels and the luggage doesn't fall off.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I don't think anyone who has been in Germany this last week will complain about ScotRail for a while.

Has it been pish? Thought they were efficient 

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I booked tickets for three intercity trains in Germany. First was cancelled, second was delayed by over 30mins, third over an hour late.

21 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I booked tickets for three intercity trains in Germany. First was cancelled, second was delayed by over 30mins, third over an hour late.

That's hopeless 

5 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I don't think anyone who has been in Germany this last week will complain about ScotRail for a while.

Deutsche Bahn Has been the butt of German jokes for years now. They’ve f**ked off on the necessary investment for years (sound familiar) and now even the ICE service can’t run on time.

This picture of an S-Bahn train update says it all…”probably on time”.

IMG_9078.thumb.jpeg.0ec90ddd158f18718b3365832689e2bc.jpeg

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

I can vouch for this. 

German efficiency is as ridiculous a stereotype as Scottish meanness.

The Polish and Italian train services are far more reliable in my experience.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I can vouch for this. 

German efficiency is as ridiculous a stereotype as Scottish meanness.

The Polish and Italian train services are far more reliable in my experience.

I once went to a piss up in a brewery organised by Germans

it was a shambles 

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Deutsche Bahn Has been the butt of German jokes for years now. They’ve f**ked off on the necessary investment for years (sound familiar) and now even the ICE service can’t run on time.

This picture of an S-Bahn train update says it all…”probably on time”.

IMG_9078.thumb.jpeg.0ec90ddd158f18718b3365832689e2bc.jpeg

"Probably on time" - that's confidence right there! 

The Stuttgart station fiasco is well worth looking into if you like to see how incompetent other governments can be

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

"Probably on time" - that's confidence right there! 

The Stuttgart station fiasco is well worth looking into if you like to see how incompetent other governments can be

I lived in Stuttgart 30 years ago when they were just putting together the feasibility studies for the Stuttgart 21 project. It's an amazing undertaking, turning what was a major terminus station into a 'through' station by turning it through 90 degrees and putting it all underground, then making a new line and all associated tunneling to Ulm. 

I'm sure it's had mega problems but the Germans will get it finished as the economic impact it will have across Baden-Wurttemberg will be huge.

Unlike HS2, which has been partly abandoned by our surrender-monkey govt.

8 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I lived in Stuttgart 30 years ago when they were just putting together the feasibility studies for the Stuttgart 21 project. It's an amazing undertaking, turning what was a major terminus station into a 'through' station by turning it through 90 degrees and putting it all underground, then making a new line and all associated tunneling to Ulm. 

I'm sure it's had mega problems but the Germans will get it finished as the economic impact it will have across Baden-Wurttemberg will be huge.

Unlike HS2, which has been partly abandoned by our surrender-monkey govt.

From what I saw, the angles were all too steep for longer trains and the capacity through the station has substantially dropped compared to the old station. They ignored loads of warnings about the geology and bashed on regardless, getting themselves in (literally) a huge hole with it and are a ridiculous amount of years late in finishing it

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

From what I saw, the angles were all too steep for longer trains and the capacity through the station has substantially dropped compared to the old station. They ignored loads of warnings about the geology and bashed on regardless, getting themselves in (literally) a huge hole with it and are a ridiculous amount of years late in finishing it

If memory serves, the old station was a 16 track terminal. I think the new station was / is meant to be 8 track 'through' configuration.

Feck knows how many billions it's costing !!!

Someone will probably know the answer, but why does the Borders line head out east then does a shunt after Brunstane?

Would it not be easier to send it out west, round Tynecastle and along the south Edinburgh route? Would mean missing out Brunstane but would solve the capacity issue on the East line. I'm guessing it's just as busy heading out west but the lines are all there 

Screenshot_20240620_234926_edit_727377229719738.thumb.jpg.7e2ee2fc63f89481e0ebbbc7adc5e501.jpg