Serbia V Scotland - EURO 2020 Playoff Final ( Thursday 12th November)

greenockraver

Sitting watching the highlights on Sky the now. My eldest is 4 and at a wind-up stage, currently giving it "Scotland is rubbish!" and cheered when Serbia equalised there. Is it bad parenting that I intend on giving it the 'get it right fucking up ye!!' when Marshall saves the penalty?

No it’s entirely appropriate. They need to learn. [emoji23]

There's a very high chance that they'll cause someone to die. Hilarious.
If that's not enough, this is why we'll be locked down at Christmas.
We could have Scotland playing in a tournament finals in Glasgow and not be able to be at the game. If people want to have their freedoms down the line they need to grow the f**k up and screw the nut, now.

In all seriousness it’s not funny and that was a silly comment by me. The comments however are clearly from folk who don’t watch football and don’t understand the sweet release of that moment.

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Sitting watching the highlights on Sky the now. My eldest is 4 and at a wind-up stage, currently giving it "Scotland is rubbish!" and cheered when Serbia equalised there. Is it bad parenting that I intend on giving it the 'get it right fucking up ye!!' when Marshall saves the penalty?

I'd be gutted they've just outlawed smacking tbh.

Is a chokeslam out of the question?

If so, do your thing instead
Is your eldest [mention=75209]Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier[/mention] by any chance?

No it’s entirely appropriate. They need to learn. [emoji23]
A massive cheer and chants of "Scotland, Scotland!" didn't go down well. GIRU her!

Just read the entire thread from 7pm last night onwards. Hungover to f**k.

NZ in 82 was the first game I can properly remember watching. First Scotland game I went to was Switzerland in Euro 96. Got seriously pished in Bordeaux at the fan zone big screen v Noway in 98 - no tickets, accommodation or anything, we just decided to go on about 3 days notice - was behind the goal in row 6 when Hutchison scored at Wembley in 99 - spent the entire day getting pished up in Trafalgar Square and experienced the “glorious” failure we’ve become so accustomed to.  

Can’t wait, it has been too long and I hope to goodness people will be able to experience it in person.

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:

NAP someone brings this up at first minister's questions.

For those wondering Swinson is severed no more as she has a role at the Cranfield School of Management.

Also the arsehole voted to sever the livelihood of millions of poor and working poor. She can't f**k off enough.

Back to the present. I honestly feel like I'll never be sad again. I just feel such intense joy.

It's at moments like these that I grieve for people who aren't football supporters. They haven't the faintest idea what they're missing.

I reckon this will be spoken about for generations to come. The significance of it, not just from a football perspective, but from a national perspective, cannot be overstated (but I could give it a good go tbf). What the team did last night was to change the narrative of what it means to not just be a Scottish Football Player of supporter, but to be Scottish. The "nearly" story that has underpinned and undermined various world cup campaigns has also informed the national psyche. We've seen this play out politically in the varied failures of independence/devolution referenda, and I don't want to get into another Yes/No debate (I'm enjoying the unity surrounding the team just now) but I see them all as a wound to the national psyche that perpetuates the narrative that we "cannae dae it".

For anyone who has changed their own story, whether that be doing the therapeutic work of moving from a story of victimhood to one of empowerment and agency, or from a narrative of avoidance and separation to one of engagement and integration you'll know how much courage and character it takes, and how powerful the impact of the change. When we change our own story we also change the story of generations to come. A man from a long line of alcoholics who heals his own wounds will cease the perpetuation of the shame and silence which defined the men of previous generations of his family. The story of what it means to be a man in his family has been transformed.

Last night the team decided that the story of Scotland being a team who fall at the final hurdle and choose self sabotage over success has been re-written. It's not to say that we won't fail to qualify again, or that there won't be a last minute mistake that results in heartbreaking loss. What it means is that after last night those events, should they occur, won't have as much say in how we define ourselves as they have in the past. Before last night conceding a last minute goal was "typical Scotland" as we tell ourselves that to be Scottish is to f**k up and that to be Scottish is to not sit at the banquet with all the other countries, but to look in from the outside like the street urchins we are. Last night represented a shift from that, and we all felt it. Now when we experience failure it won't be a validation of our own unworthiness, it'll be just that, a failure. An opportunity to learn and grow, and fuel for the next success.

Deep down we all want to feel pride in being Scottish, but our own cringe has held us back. The fear that we don't deserve to enjoy success and it'll be snatched away at the last minute has held us back from truly believing in ourselves as a nation.

I have a strong feeling that the tears that poured out of us yesterday and today are from the knowledge that things have changed irrevocably, and that we can finally give ourselves permission to achieve.

Tl;dr; Birthday caird pish.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Except that's simply not true, is it? Even as recently as December 2018, Rangers fans made up the largest proportion of Scotland Supporters Club registered members.

Really, and how would the Scotland Supporters Club know what teams it's members support? 

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Might purchase a Scotland shirt to rile up Londoners in the pub next June. Is £60 worth it though? Good grief.

Will we have a new one for the tournament? 

In honesty, I think it was a bit of an ill-advised tweet from them.
It doesn't irk me as much as others, but at a time when the whole country is rejoicing and you'd like to unite fans behind the team, is using a phrase that was originally used by Clarke to antagonise one set of supporters really a good idea?

It wasn't used to antagonise one set of supporters. He immediately followed it up by "and next season make it bye, bye Celtic too".

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Really, and how would the Scotland Supporters Club know what teams it's members support? 

Will we have a new one for the tournament? 

They asked them.

https://theathletic.com/2118196/2020/10/14/the-complex-relationship-of-the-rangers-support-and-the-scotland-national-team/

"Data collected by the Scottish FA in December 2018 showed that Rangers fans made up the largest percentage of Scotland Supporters’ Club Members before Aberdeen in second — there were around 24,000 total members in the last cycle."