The US Presidential election prediction thread

ICTChris

56 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure if drunk but maybe with mental health issues.  Unfair to put her in that position and an indication of the sort of person running Trump’s legal defence team.

Even Rudy feels bad for her there.

3 hours ago, RiG said:

If I am reading things right the Trump campaign has raised more money since the election than it did in the months leading up to it as Supporters give their cash away to trump on the back of the fraud claims he is dishing out every single day. They're almost certainly getting grifted. A fool and his money...

I think Trump himself isn't grifting here, he simply refuses to believe he lost fairly. Everyone around him though? Yes, they're gleefully lining their pockets.

I think Trump himself isn't grifting here, he simply refuses to believe he lost fairly. Everyone around him though? Yes, they're gleefully lining their pockets.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-raises-more-than-150-million-appealing-to-false-election-claims/2020/11/30/82e922e6-3347-11eb-afe6-e4dbee9689f8_story.html

Like hell.

24 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Been looking a out and can't find the answer anywhere. Do any of you lads know if someone who has been pardoned can run for President? 

I can't find anything that prevents a convicted criminal running for President so I'd say the answer is yes. He's gone bankrupt 4 or 5 times, you'd think that would be a bar on its own.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I can't find anything that prevents a convicted criminal running for President so I'd say the answer is yes. He's gone bankrupt 4 or 5 times, you'd think that would be a bar on its own.

Don't see anything in here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_eligibility_legislation

48 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

In the tweets responding to this it has been pointed out that Michigan actually requires ID when voting. So she's asking for something that already exists :whistle

If you don't have an ID you can still vote. You just have to sign an affidavit and it gets placed in the Provisional voting block of ballots and it gets verified before being officially counted.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You can - literally the only requirements are that you be a ‘natural born citizen’ - ie one of your parents is a US born citizen, which qualifies Ted Cruz, as his mum’s American, even tho he was born in Canada and his old man’s Cuban - and you’re over the age of 35. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

You can - literally the only requirements are that you be a ‘natural born citizen’ - ie one of your parents is a US born citizen, which qualifies Ted Cruz, as his mum’s American, even tho he was born in Canada and his old man shot JFK - and you’re over the age of 35. 

FTFY

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

Been looking a out and can't find the answer anywhere. Do any of you lads know if someone who has been pardoned can run for President? 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/26/after-flynn-pardon-could-trump-do-the-same-for-himself?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

One issue, however, Trump is likely to run into, which he acknowledged himself in his 2018 tweet, is a supreme court ruling dating back to 1915 that concluded that any pardon carries an implicit imputation of guilt. In Trump’s case, this could only be for criminal acts committed in office and could hamper his plans to run again for president in 2024.

So “hamper”, but not prohibit.

8 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Just trying to fleece his gullible supporters for more cash imo.  My earlier comparison to televangelists is very apt; venally corrupt perpetrator, exploitable audience.

As I understand it he made far more money doing Apprentice than he ever did in business and real estate, but he saw most of that money going to NBC, so he wanted to cut out the middle man. He saw a gap in the market for a low budget channel bridging the gap between Fox and Alex Jones and building his audience by running for president. An unfortunate 4 year delay happened but it's now back on track with the potential of being bigger than ever, maybe even knocking Fox off its perch. That's where the money he's fleecing now will go, and the donors will be delighted.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Do people seriously believe Donald Trump personally ran for president purely as a grift? The wide and varied cast of hangers on, yes. Him personally? No. 

I do. I don't think he ever thought he had a chance of winning, that was why he was building up the rigged election narrative from the get go in the 2016 primaries.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I do. I don't think he ever thought he had a chance of winning, that was why he was building up the rigged election narrative from the get go in the 2016 primaries.

I don't think that tracks with virtually anything he's ever said or done especially since he's become more senile. Building up the rigged election narrative lets him lose without being a loser. Suggesting it was just a grift leads to suggesting his post-election meltdown and public appearances were staged is laughable, he looked visibly crushed at that first press conference. His manner at his rallies also suggest a man deeply in love with being worshipped rather than just some calculated attempt to grift first and foremost. 

I think he very much wanted to win and be president for the clout, fame and perceived universal worship of it even if he clearly didn't want the job of being president. I think that specifically trickled down to his supporters who expected vindication and acknowledgment they were also winners which clearly didn't happen.

But whatever it's ultimately unprovable.