St Mirren v Aberdeen Sat 5th Dec.

We can moan about injuries and players being unavailable all we like, but plenty folk were saying at the start of the season that this was a very strong squad. That's been stress tested over the last fortnight and I haven't seen much to back it up. 

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

Truth is that despite the massive amount of off field issues we are doing fine. Could always be better of course but to go eight games unbeaten when there’s the off the field circus going on shows a real amount of character.
We are clearly a tough team to beat and we’re starting to score goals too. We’re certainly a better team than we were last season or the season before and we stayed up both of those years.

Did you not lose on Thursday?

1 minute ago, DrewDon said:

We can moan about injuries and players being unavailable all we like, but plenty folk were saying at the start of the season that this was a very strong squad. That's been stress tested over the last fortnight and I haven't seen much to back it up. 

It's because when the going gets tough then Derek goes back to what he knows. Long, slow football.

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Really?

I think we are looking like a right decent team now. Fair enough that it shouldn't have taken us this long to get going but i think there are 2 or 3 worse teams than us in the league. Hopefully that shows by May.

Definitely looking better as a team but there is a complete lack of a cutting edge right throughout the team. Durmus and Connolly done well in the first half to create one on one situations from wide positions, and had defenders backing off towards their goal, but the final shot/pass is almost always woeful. Just a general lack of quality when it comes to putting the ball in the net, or playing that final ball to give someone else a chance to score. 

Obika is probably the most threatening player we have, and he’s not exactly clinical. Durmus blows hot and cold, and Erwin and Dennis have done very little to show they have the ability to do better. Morias can’t finish but does a lot of running and is a general nuisance for the defenders. McAllister does absolutely hee haw and has done for months now. Not looked at the stats but would bet good money St Mirren are the lowest scorers in the division, which will almost guarantee a relegation battle at the least. 

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

The confidence that we had up until about three weeks ago has gone. None more so than Joe Lewis unfortunately. However, it doesn’t help us when Lewis Ferguson gets fouled and is booked for it, meaning a second yellow. Unbelievable.

Obika going off killed us there, he was doing a good job and linking up really well with Durmus. He and Connolly were anonymous after Obika went off. Erwin is useless, no first touch and missed an absolute sitter. Dennis hasn’t looked great in his limited time either.

Sore one not to win but it was a good performance overall. McGrath and Shaughnessy both played very well I thought. McAllister was surprisingly good off the bench too and probably should have had two assists.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I was actually sitting here giving Erwin needle the full match

I admire someone who will give people pelters when they are sitting on the bench! :lol:

You are right though, either Erwin was doing exactly as Goodwin told him to, or he's going to be what he was at Motherwell and County (all promise, no delivery). Either way, and I'll admit I was sceptical when he arrived, I don't see what he brings the team.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

No idea who it was, but how that guy at the end didn’t just blast the ball into the net is inexplicable. 

Lee Erwin, there was chat as to why he was brought in and on that showing you can understand why.

Saints must be gutted once again the better team.Going down to 10 men didn't help us and created only one chance afterwards. Missing the Wright and Hedges combo so looks like we are going to have to put up with these type of performances till we get Wright and Watkins back and that is a long way off.

As for Saints i think they will pull away from danger no problem ,if they could finish the chances they create,they would have gubbed us twice in a row.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I don't think Saints will go down, but that's 2 league games where they've been better than us for most of the game yet they've only managed one point. 

Shades there of Hearts last season.

They should manage to finish above Hamilton though. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't think Saints will go down, but that's 2 league games where they've been better than us for most of the game yet they've only managed one point. 

Shades there of Hearts last season.

They should manage to finish above Hamilton though. 

Reality check your shite

Guest Bob Mahelp

We desperately miss Watkins, and to a lesser extent (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Scott Wright. 

The arse has fallen out of the side since we lost them. We're back to last season's utter pish. 

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

As I've been saying to @Coventry Saint it's a season of "death by thousand cuts". It's not one thing, just lots of little things. Missing from 4 yards to take all 3 points when the opposition are down to 10 men could be shrugged off in the grand scheme of things, but it just adds to the other stuff that is happening. It's just one of those seasons.

Anyone that follows my posts know I'm not in the slightest a "knicker wetter" but we've all been across this ground before.

Bloody hell you sound very miserable today. That team have plenty fight in them. It's all came together at the right time. Best football I have seen from us in a long long time. Good times are around the corner. 

For all his nice touches outside the box Obika was rank in the box. 24 shots on goal and none by Obika. Cross after cross into the box and he never wins a header or loses his man. Some slick passes through to him and he falls over the ball. He is playing as a striker and we are creating loads of chances but he never even gets a shot away. He may be the best we have but he is ineffective.

One bit of composure is all that separates us from a merited 3 points. 

Not worrying yet as we're on a good run and playing well, but we really need to start converting our chances when we are so much on top.

Onwards and upwards.