How Do We Solve a Problem Like Obesity?

18 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

There were taxes on salt in Europe pretty regularly going back 800 odd years. Not that it's not a daft idea but does have precedent tbf

Given the amount of salt which has been produced by the English since about 11pm on Sunday night, the entire furlough cost could have been offset by now.

Edited by jimbaxters

Interesting. Kinda blows this “obesity is a disease” argument out of the water. This guy got the wake up call that he was on deaths door and he immediately did something about it. He should be applauded for that. It proves that if you simply tackle the issue you can lose weight and you can be a healthier person.

How many obese people are just strolling through life who are ignoring the warning signs, ignoring what their doctors or friends say until they’ve had a near death experience or if it’s too late?

There’s absolutely no reason why healthy people should be punished with “sugar taxes” or, as has been suggested on this thread, the banning of ordering food via apps because a certain group of people are choosing not to lead healthier lives.

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Interesting. Kinda blows this “obesity is a disease” argument out of the water. This guy got the wake up call that he was on deaths door and he immediately did something about it. He should be applauded for that. It proves that if you simply tackle the issue you can lose weight and you can be a healthier person.

How many obese people are just strolling through life who are ignoring the warning signs, ignoring what their doctors or friends say until they’ve had a near death experience or if it’s too late?

There’s absolutely no reason why healthy people should be punished with “sugar taxes” or, as has been suggested on this thread, the banning of ordering food via apps because a certain group of people are choosing not to lead healthier lives.

A lot of people are just lazy c***s with no self-discipline. That’s the cold, hard truth I’m afraid.

The fact that there’s people on my Instagram doing a ‘couch to 5k’ challenge is shocking. Cannot fathom being in your 20s, with no underlying disability, and being unable to run 5k. 

We don’t add salt to our food when cooking or at the table, haven’t done so for years.  Only downside is when we go out for a meal it is noticeable how salty certain dishes are.

10 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The fact that there’s people on my Instagram doing a ‘couch to 5k’ challenge is shocking. Cannot fathom being in your 20s, with no underlying disability, and being unable to run 5k. 

But addressing that fact is to be welcomed.

17 hours ago, virginton said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57838103

More utter nonsense from the increasingly shrill and uppity public health lobby.

My personal highlight being a truly laughable price: calorie comparison chart showing that - shock! - fresh fruit and vegetables are more expensive per calorie than processed food and cakes. The comparison table omits however the starchy carbohydrates that, in the real world, are combined with vegetables to produce healthy and calorie-rich meals at a fraction of the cost of meat or ready meal alternatives. The only carbohydrate listed in its table (in the above article; fully annotated in the report) are, erm, baked potatoes. Pasta, rice, or bog-standard potatoes that you can get 2kg for under £1? Conveniently not calculated for reasons. 

The taxation of sugary/fatty products idea has things completely the wrong way round. The best way to deal with obesity is to tax the outcome rather than products that themselves do not make anyone obese.

There should be a surtax slapped on the total income of fatties for every point they are above their recommended BMI score after GP consultation. Or alternatively, a 'health dividend' can be awarded from a higher basic rate for those who can get past the biscuit aisle without abandoning all self-control. That extra income can be spent on the education and anti-poverty measures that the report also suggests = problem solved with personal responsibility rather than collective punishment. 

The table's not fully annotated in the report it just has more examples. And it mentions carbohydrate packed pulses which are shown as one of the lower cost foods. 

Not sure why you're so riled about something that shows obvious facts. 

Plenty to criticise in the report in terms of it being a jumble of loosely related facts with a non sequitur ending. 

27 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

A lot of people are just lazy c***s with no self-discipline. That’s the cold, hard truth I’m afraid.

There are a lot of people who genuinely never exercise, for whatever reason. Numerous examples of it in school were quite eye-opening - folk barely capable of running the length of a full size pitch and back at a comfortable pace, dropping out the bleep test in the 20-30 ballpark looking totally gassed to name but two examples. 

Not going to pretend I'm very active these days, but the easing of some restrictions has been great for getting active again. Even just opening up more places to go to is a lot better than going for an aimless walk. 

The "step count" is not exactly a huge indication of exercise, but it was alarming seeing the number of steps I'd take when WFH on many days. Very easy to get consumed by laziness and I'm only now starting to address it again. Thing is, it totally fried my head; I was (and am) ashamed of how unfit I became. I can't believe people live such inactive lives, and also that I fell into it myself. I guess it's easy if you've never really been active, but I found the health impacts alarming - the realisation that brisk walks were leaving me out of breath was awful, but it shocked me out of it. 

25 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Not at all, if you aren't adding any salt to any dish you cook then that is an insane overreaction to the health problems associated with salt over consumption. And your food will taste shit

The food doesn’t taste like shit at all.  Why would we want to eat food that tasted like shit?  There’s natural salt in lots of products that are used in cooking.

ETA I’d be more concerned about folk who add salt to their food at the table before taking a single bite to see if it’s required.  My elder son used to be guilty of this and I’ve seen it countless times in restaurants.

Edited by Granny Danger

27 minutes ago, Michael W said:

There are a lot of people who genuinely never exercise, for whatever reason. Numerous examples of it in school were quite eye-opening - folk barely capable of running the length of a full size pitch and back at a comfortable pace, dropping out the bleep test in the 20-30 ballpark looking totally gassed to name but two examples. 

Not going to pretend I'm very active these days, but the easing of some restrictions has been great for getting active again. Even just opening up more places to go to is a lot better than going for an aimless walk. 

The "step count" is not exactly a huge indication of exercise, but it was alarming seeing the number of steps I'd take when WFH on many days. Very easy to get consumed by laziness and I'm only now starting to address it again. Thing is, it totally fried my head; I was (and am) ashamed of how unfit I became. I can't believe people live such inactive lives, and also that I fell into it myself. I guess it's easy if you've never really been active, but I found the health impacts alarming - the realisation that brisk walks were leaving me out of breath was awful, but it shocked me out of it. 

Yeah I understand how it can happen. I’m in the worst shape I’ve ever been in which is a combination of lockdown resulting in working from home, gyms to be closed, and (playing) football to be cancelled. I’ve continued to eat much the same as I had before which has had the result of a bit of weight gain and general deterioration in fitness. I was going for a run 2/3x a week but it wasn’t at the level of activity I’d had previously.

I found being part of a sports team really worthwhile, whether that’s football or otherwise. I enjoy the competitive aspect, the social aspect, and also the fact that you can’t really pie it without letting other people down (whereas with the gym it’s just yourself you’re letting down if you don’t go). The fact sports teams appear to have diminished so much in society is something I do find pretty sad. At amateur football level in Perthshire, for example, there are now 20ish teams in the league. When my old man was playing there were more than double that. 

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

ETA I’d be more concerned about folk who add salt to their food at the table before taking a single bite to see if it’s required.  My elder son used to be guilty of this and I’ve seen it countless times in restaurants.

This we can agree on!

9 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Yeah I understand how it can happen. I’m in the worst shape I’ve ever been in which is a combination of lockdown resulting in working from home, gyms to be closed, and (playing) football to be cancelled. I’ve continued to eat much the same as I had before which has had the result of a bit of weight gain and general deterioration in fitness. I was going for a run 2/3x a week but it wasn’t at the level of activity I’d had previously.

I found being part of a sports team really worthwhile, whether that’s football or otherwise. I enjoy the competitive aspect, the social aspect, and also the fact that you can’t really pie it without letting other people down (whereas with the gym it’s just yourself you’re letting down if you don’t go). The fact sports teams appear to have diminished so much in society is something I do find pretty sad. At amateur football level in Perthshire, for example, there are now 20ish teams in the league. When my old man was playing there were more than double that. 

Basically word for word what has happened to me.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

We don’t add salt to our food when cooking or at the table, haven’t done so for years.  Only downside is when we go out for a meal it is noticeable how salty certain dishes are.

Not even when boiling pasta, rice or potatoes? Sorry but that is incredible.

20 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Not even when boiling pasta, rice or potatoes? Sorry but that is incredible.

We have done for dried pasta, not for fresh.  It’s a fallacy that salting water for any of these is a necessity, rather it’s a matter of personal taste.

We’re edging towards one of these P&B situations where people think that something’s right or wrong; it’s not, it’s a matter of personal preference.  Like I said earlier we’ve done this for years and are happy with the food we eat, our palates have probably adapted over time.

We have done for dried pasta, not for fresh.  It’s a fallacy that salting water for any of these is a necessity, rather it’s a matter of personal taste.
We’re edging towards one of these P&B situations where people think that something’s right or wrong; it’s not, it’s a matter of personal preference.  Like I said earlier we’ve done this for years and are happy with the food we eat, our palates have probably adapted over time.
Adding salt at the table is a mtter of personal preference. Seasoning food is a matter if it tasting as good as it should, or not.

Of course, if you are merely interested in subsistence, which many are then its all irrelevant, but you are a man who generally seems to like good food so I find this lack of seasoning a bit mental.