BeNe Liga

Rob1885

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11906/12248000/eredivisie-belgian-clubs-vote-in-favour-of-cross-border-league-with-teams-from-the-netherlands

Very interesting. Looks to be a goer as well. Does this set a precedence for continent wide leagues going forward ? A Scandinavian super league? That daft North Atlantic concept from years gone by?

The Dutch and Belgian leagues generate circa £70 million each a season. Projections show this potential league could generate £350 million, placing it comfortably in 6th place behind Europe's "big five".

I don't expect this to happen. This comes back every few years and gets kicked back each time. The current plans are based on both countries keeping the number of European spots they have, which so far isn't something UEFA agrees with. Also, in The Netherlands there is less support for this than in Belgium. And to be honest, I think those projections are way over-optimistic.

I see the appeal, but I think I'm still strongly against that. It's one of the only things most clubs here could win, and you'd immediately be chucking away any chance of a trophy. The big English clubs wouldn't take it seriously and you'd end up with a devalued mess of a tournament very quickly.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I see the appeal, but I think I'm still strongly against that. It's one of the only things most clubs here could win, and you'd immediately be chucking away any chance of a trophy. The big English clubs wouldn't take it seriously and you'd end up with a devalued mess of a tournament very quickly.

In what way is the League Cup easier to win in Scotland than the Scottish Cup? Only one of them is seeded before the quarter finals to purposefully eliminate as many diddy teams as possible.

All in favour of this league and a Danube league combining Austria/Czechia/Slovakia/Hungary. 

Then we move onto the magnificent prospect of a Yugoslav league. 

Edited by vikingTON

43 minutes ago, virginton said:

In what way is the League Cup easier to win in Scotland than the Scottish Cup? Only one of them is seeded before the quarter finals to purposefully eliminate as many diddy teams as possible.

All in favour of this league and a Danube league combining Austria/Czechia/Slovakia/Hungary. 

It's not easier to win, but it gives you a second chance to win something.

A Yugoslav league would be [emoji1786][emoji1786][emoji1786]

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Tangentially, I would like us to ditch the League Cups in the UK and go with a British wide cup instead.

In theory a British Cup of some description would be good but there's just no demand for it down south.  Would the likes of Preston North End or Wycombe Wanderers get excited about playing a midweek fixture against Ross County or Hamilton Accies?  Probably not.  Despite the controversy I have liked having the 'foreign' clubs in the Challenge Cup though, certainly a lot more than having the U20 sides in it.

I think it was the Totally Football Show recently discussed joint-leagues citing an Austria-Switzerland super league as an example and I think it was the CEO of Basel who said that they'd rather play FC Zurich four times a season than Sturm Graz.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

I don't expect this to happen. This comes back every few years and gets kicked back each time. The current plans are based on both countries keeping the number of European spots they have, which so far isn't something UEFA agrees with. Also, in The Netherlands there is less support for this than in Belgium. And to be honest, I think those projections are way over-optimistic.

I'd add in Luxembourg as well. Benelux needs a strong  F91 Dudelange

3 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I'd add in Luxembourg as well. Benelux needs a strong  F91 Dudelange

`To be fair, if it's a 20 team league, there will be a big enough market for 1 Luxembourg team looking at population and considering it's a very rich country.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I'd trade it for the away games you'd get.

3 minutes ago, Marten said:

`To be fair, if it's a 20 team league, there will be a big enough market for 1 Luxembourg team looking at population and considering it's a very rich country.

I wasn't being entirely facetious, Luxembourg has almost twice the population of Iceland

28 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

A Yugoslav league would be emoji1786.pngemoji1786.pngemoji1786.png

Would certainly be interesting to bring back some of those extra epic rivalries like Red Star-Dinamo Zagreb but could see it being problematic

On the face of it the BeNe Liga would be an interesting idea, not sure what math gives Belgium 8 teams and the Netherlands 10 but that is for another day.  Both current leagues are pretty decent in quality so this (in theory) could result in those leagues moving up the competitiveness rankings

11 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Would certainly be interesting to bring back some of those extra epic rivalries like Red Star-Dinamo Zagreb but could see it being problematic...

They've able to do it in basketball and a lot of the problematic fan groups follow clubs in both sports.

Was there not some report this week that a third of the EFLs revenue comes from the League cup?
Can't see them wanting to add 42 teams to the mix 
It's more likely to be scrapped under pressure from the big teams involved in a potentially expanded Champions League than add another 42 teams. Are Scotland and England not the only countries still running a second cup competition? France scrapped theirs last(?) season.

1 hour ago, true_rover said:
2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:
Was there not some report this week that a third of the EFLs revenue comes from the League cup?
Can't see them wanting to add 42 teams to the mix 

It's more likely to be scrapped under pressure from the big teams involved in a potentially expanded Champions League than add another 42 teams. Are Scotland and England not the only countries still running a second cup competition? France scrapped theirs last(?) season.

I think it's only Portugal outwith the Home Nations that have a secondary cup competition.

13 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I think it's only Portugal outwith the Home Nations that have a secondary cup competition.

According to Wikipedia - Estonia, Iceland, and Israel (top league only) also have a League Cup. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:2020–21_in_European_football_(UEFA)

Edited by Ginaro

2 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Pretty sure France has two cup competitions.