Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Do you mean under her limited political powers or the way she can remove former daughters-in-law?

There is going to a squid games like minibus rolls up outside parliament and when Bojo gets in, he sees Andrew Windsor and Novak Jokavic sitting there out cold. Its at that moment BoJo knows the day isn't going to end well.....

20 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

If Labour “builds momentum” from here, for which I’ll assume you mean maintains a lead of at least 10% since anything else would be “falling back”, they would almost certainly win a majority and would not need to do any deals with anyone.

Although boundary changes may change this a bit (they were mooted, though not sure if they are in place for next GE or not), Labour has won a majority (in 2005) on marginally over 35% of the vote.

The geography of Labour's vote is substantially different now to then (most obviously in Scotland) so that's not a meaningful starting point. It's possible that the 2005 Labour was relatively efficient at delivering FPTP seats.  A bounceback in the wrong areas (Scotland, London and southern England) would not actually deliver many more seats than in 2019. 

The Lib Dems were also a significant third party/protest vote off the back of the Iraq war. Unless another three-way split emerges, I don't see 35% being enough for any majority never mind a repeat of 2005. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The geography of Labour's vote is substantially different now to then (most obviously in Scotland) so that's not a meaningful starting point. It's possible that the 2005 Labour was relatively efficient at delivering FPTP seats.  A bounceback in the wrong areas (Scotland, London and southern England) would not actually deliver many more seats than in 2019. 

The Lib Dems were also a significant third party/protest vote off the back of the Iraq war. Unless another three-day split emerges, I don't see 35% being enough for any majority never mind a repeat of 2005. 

All entirely fair points. It is of course true that Labour (and the Tories, for that matter) have been winning seats where they never dared tread previously.

I would maintain that hanging about waiting on an accident of maths and then a Labour party willing to slit its own support (by offering its coalition/confidence and supply/whatever arrangement partners a referendum to leave) is not sort of strategy for an independence party to have. It's just waiting for things to fall into your lap. I recognise you were not responding to that point as such, of course.

12 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

If Labour “builds momentum” from here, for which I’ll assume you mean maintains a lead of at least 10% since anything else would be “falling back”, they would almost certainly win a majority and would not need to do any deals with anyone.

Although boundary changes may change this a bit (they were mooted, though not sure if they are in place for next GE or not), Labour has won a majority (in 2005) on marginally over 35% of the vote.

There’s really only a tiny chance they will ever mathematically have to go cap in hand and let the SNP have a referendum, and an even smaller chance they’ll do so in practice.

No-one should be relying on this scenario ever bearing fruit.

Yep. There would have been more chance when Corbyn was there but even then there's a massive chance the shitheads would've tanked a Corbyn government over granting a referendum. I suppose you could make an argument that now they're in power they might be more willing to be flexible but I think there's a greater than 50% chance that Starmer's Labour would intentionally try and f**k any deal with the SNP.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The Lib Dems were also a significant third party/protest vote off the back of the Iraq war. Unless another three-day split emerges, I don't see 35% being enough for any majority never mind a repeat of 2005. 

Aye the concentration of the young Labour vote for one is gravitating increasingly in the cities and that section will continue to haemorrhage in the coming years as they're routinely ignored. Trying to win over fickle Tory voters will likely do f**k all to compensate regardless of what the polls say. 

I think the only chance that Labour have is a massive collapse of the Tory vote.

Edited by NotThePars

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Craig Hoy defying logic on Radio Scotland this morning. No surprise really the tories always struggle with critical thought.

As for Johnson, someone pulling up Queenie in a mask at the funeral of her dead racist husband, could be the nail in the coffin it has to be said. The English get very uppity when there is a slight to their disgusting symbol of extreme privilege.

He did manage to get away with lying to her a few years ago mind

So here's the dynamic, in her post as covering cabinet "ethics" (oh, I know, I laughed too, so I added quotes around the word) she actually reports to Gove, yet Johnson is the one who has commissioned the report.

What's more, there is absolutely no remit for her to make a decision on whether he broke the ministerial code, or if he broke the law. She is not qualified to make those judgements.

Of course she will simply whitewash it as "boys will be boys" (despite that phrase seemingly existing just to exonerate adult male sex pests) because that is the most palatable excuse to the sort of audience the tories want to target.

The only interesting thing from all of this is whether Gove adds a bit of spice, as the report won't determine anything and any decision regarding Johnson's future will be made independently by others.

That's them apologising to the Queen now. 

As much as the majority of Tory voters would eventually just brush the parties off as a "that's just Boris" slap on the wrist type affair, a lot of these SoE types actually have a serious hard on for the royals, and I'd imagine that hurting her in particular will have crossed a line of no return for many.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

As much as the majority of Tory voters would eventually just brush the parties off as a "that's just Boris" slap on the wrist type affair, a lot of these SoE types actually have a serious hard on for the royals, and I'd imagine that hurting her in particular will have crossed a line of no return for many.

MPs will be told to go back to their constituents and tell the most vocal that, "he's apologised, there is no need for panic now, we can't change the leader during a pandemic, wait until we see what happens at the local elections (in May)"

27 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

CDF3DFDA-DECC-48DD-A439-E7C288E4F0B2.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/14/digested-week-boris-johnson-stumbles-across-a-much-needed-work-party

"After lying low for a couple of days, Boris Johnson was forced out in to the open to appear at prime minister’s questions and was finally obliged to provide an explanation for why he attended the Downing Street party on 20 May 2020. First he gave a half-hearted, insincere apology for any wrongdoing people may have perceived him to make. Not for the breaches of the law and the lying to both parliament and the country. Then he got to the details of the party. Or rather the party that was not a party. What we were asked to believe was that Johnson was one of the stupidest men alive, and had failed to notice he had been at a party until alerted to it by a leak to the press more than 18 months later. Here was the chronology. He definitely hadn’t authorised or read the email inviting everyone at No 10 to the party – why would he bother with anything sent by his principal private secretary? – and the “we” in the invitation in no way suggested it might have come from the prime minister. Then, completely coincidentally, he had wandered downstairs to where the party was being held. Once there he had done a double-take and just assumed it was a “work event”. After all it was completely normal to find trestle tables in the garden stacked with sausage rolls and booze and people getting pissed at work events. That his wife had also been there with two friends had only reinforced his impression it was a work event. As had the complaints from some admin staff the next day at having to clear up the empties from the flowerbeds. Alarmingly, his cabinet – with the exception of Rishi Sunak – are just as dim as they appeared quite comfortable with such obvious bollocks. No 10 was a special case, they said, because it was both a home and an office. Well, so is my mum’s care home and no one had a party there."

The Warsaw born, Polish speaking MP for Shrewsbury, Daniel Kawczynski that I mentioned on here last week is being suspended from parliament.

Not because he diddled £22k on Polish language lessons that he didn't need but because he couldn't work his PC during the 1st lockdown and took out his incompetence on his staff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-59979608

At times we seem to forget what a cult the tories are, take this article for example..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60004098

Apparently, Guy Opperman, who works in the treasury and is MP for  Hexam, a very safe tory seat (he won over 50% of the vote there), and was denied time to be with his wife and his baby twins when they were ill because of Covid restrictions, they sadly died. As an MP he is pretty politically central for a tory, barring his almost zealot like belief Scotland must remain in the UK (quite the position for someone who is not Scottish, and has never represented, or even fought for, a Scottish seat) but other than that, he's no ranting right winger when it comes to their hot button stuff. So, for example, he's open to assisted dying and supports a pro-choice position on abortion, he supports actions to fight climate change, he's fought against things like pay-day loan companies and fervently fought to keep his local hospital open (due to be close by the very government he supports).

Now will all that said, you'd think he'd be a prime candidate to complain about Johnson. What does he say? The following...

qmsFhxL.png

This is a man who was denied access to his twin children who were dying in hospital, while Johnson and his cronies were partying, and his response is that Johnson should "consider what has happened". No call for him to resign, if anything he suggests Johnson should continue in his position because it happened 18 months ago, as if there is a time limit on blaming people for their shitty actions.

I don't expect the man to don a ninja suit and claim he will be hunting Johnson until his head is no longer attached to the rest of him, but in terms of public response that is stunning. What's more, he fully accepts his constituents were in the same boat. It's a cult, and you have to wonder just what head space these deluded forelock-tuggers operate in when your political deference is more important than the death of your children.

Edit: Ask yourself, can you imagine if you had lost your children and refused access to see them before their death, and your MP is more than willing to give Johnson a free pass?

Edited by Ric

I was surprised at Guy Opperman’s support for Boris given that Opperman seems for the most part a decent principled bloke. I’m mindful that on here he’ll be dismissed as Tory scum, vermin etc by the civic and joyous.

What this week did highlight is that the SNP are an absolute rabble and an embarrassment to Scotland. Watching PMQ’s through my fingers I couldn’t help but notice that they have no self respect, appearing on TV unkempt, disheveled and barely managing to string a sentence together. Before PMQ they interviewed some snp wimmin that appeared to be in an outside toilet in Port Glasgow. She looked an absolute midden in need of a good scrub. Scaffs.

The other thing highlighted was the absolute disdain that the Tory’s hold for Scotland. Getting people to vote Conservative in Scotland is a hard enough sell with out the odious Rees Moggs and Goves of the world belittling the likes of Douglas Ross. I’ve often asked Tory supporting pals of mine, if the English hate us so much and we are such a burden, why are they so eager to keep us? It can’t be resources as they are old hat and taboo now. It also can’t be the union as they were quick to bin Northern Ireland. I still await an answer, maybe someone on here could enlighten me.