Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy- Add Them Here

HTG

9 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

A quote from the Telegraph

You get the feeling he really doesn't understand what all the fuss is about.

Indeed. Like the Panama papers, the real issue is how the information got out not the content.  The more 'ordinary' people that get to peep behind the curtains, the better.

8 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Indeed. Like the Panama papers, the real issue is how the information got out not the content.  The more 'ordinary' people that get to peep behind the curtains, the better.

And like the PM's wife with Partygate, it's more important that she's a private citizen and shouldn't be questioned than the fact it's utter hypocrisy from someone who literally lives in Downing Street

On 07/04/2022 at 09:05, Granny Danger said:

Aye but Wee Nippy and masks means we should all draw a cock and balls on the ballot paper…

You do realise you can disagree with both Tory and SNP policy on different issues? 

The SNP’s policy on Covid restrictions has been absolutely disgusting and people would be well within their right to spoil their paper on May 5th. 

You do realise it’s not just SNP v Tory, Yes v No, Good v Bad in Scotland. You, as a good Labour man, should know this.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

You do realise you can disagree with both Tory and SNP policy on different issues? 

The SNP’s policy on Covid restrictions has been absolutely disgusting and people would be well within their right to spoil their paper on May 5th. 

You do realise it’s not just SNP v Tory, Yes v No, Good v Bad in Scotland. You, as a good Labour man, should know this.

I'm not at all sure that the Scottish Government's policy on covid has been hugely divergent from many other western countries and in any case it has nothing at all with local elections. The vocal opposition to the policy is something I covered above.

19 hours ago, hearthammer said:

There are "double taxation" agreements with most modern countries, but the criteria confirming eligibility to "qualify" includes, i believe, questions relating to where an individual is :

Domiciled

Resident/Ordinarily Resident  (ie, their normal, longer term residence rather than their short-term, time limited residence)

Derivation of income both from the UK and worldwide (ie, salary and/or dividends).

There are people on here who have lots more than my very basic knowledge on this who can maybe expand or correct my assertions, but it seems to be only affecting those rich "tory family" members who are happy for normal working-class people to pay their full dues, but use every trick available to screw the system in their favour to keep them tax-free. 

Shower of bassas.

22 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Is she though?

As far as I'm aware all she's admitted to is that she pays 'international tax', whatever the f**k that's supposed to mean. I thought that was basically a tacit admission that her tax is probably declared in the Cayman Islands or some other place notorious for sheltering tax dodgers.

Domicile is a UK tax concept that affects only what you pay UK tax on. It doesn't mean the Indian tax rules will necessarily tax anything in India. 

She lives here so is probably UK resident for tax. 

Resident and domiciled pay uk tax on worldwide earnings. You can get treaty relief if you also pay tax elsewhere.

Resident non doms pay tax on UK earnings or overseas income "remitted" to the UK. 

That doesn't mean you have to pay overseas tax on the non-UK earnings anywhere. Her dividends could well end up in the caymans or somewhere. 

The tories deliberately put out a red herring about her Indian citizenship to muddy the waters. Citizenship might be one factor indicating domicile but it is not decisive or the only factor. Perfectly possible for an Indian citizen to have UK domicile. 

2 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Wasnt there something about lord ashcroft/david cameron to do with non dom status that got overshadowed by, er, beastiality?

Yes, he was Belize domiciled. Then he said he'd give that up and move to the UK, but didn't, because these people lie continuously and effortlessly. 

Definitely not as funny as call me Dave fucking a pig's heid though. 

56 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Yes, he was Belize domiciled. Then he said he'd give that up and move to the UK, but didn't, because these people lie continuously and effortlessly. 

Definitely not as funny as call me Dave fucking a pig's heid though. 

He said he would give it up before getting made a Baron but never bothered.