Scottish Parliamentary Elections May 2021

23 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

I don’t think it’s weird at all. We’re now not allowed a contrary opinion without it being deemed a right wing trope or wanting to go back to the 70’s. 
You are right, there is a place for Women’s football on TV, and I don’t have to watch it. What I do object to, being a big fan of English football, is getting subjected to female pundits. I want to be listening to players that have played at that level.

What I find weird is your “tend to find” comment. How having disdain for so called “box ticking” exercises is somehow “right wing”. Most the people who I here ranting about these things are at the other end of the political spectrum.

I do agree about the punditry bit, box ticking of the highest order, why don't we just get Tucker Sloan or some other ex lower league players or junior managers on. 

3 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You are so right.

Why do we get female commentators on tv regarding men’s football?

They are fine for women’s football but definitely not for the men’s game.

Mrs DPB heartily agrees. She loathes femail pundits and commentators.
She would never dream of watching women’s football.

Why would a female commentator automatically not be suitable for commentating on the men's game?

3 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You are so right.

Why do we get female commentators on tv regarding men’s football?

They are fine for women’s football but definitely not for the men’s game.

Mrs DPB heartily agrees. She loathes femail pundits and commentators.
She would never dream of watching women’s football.

I don't mind having women pundits, it's just that they're filling too many slots with folk that no more qualified than most fans. 

4 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

Which goes for a big percentage of male pundits as well btw.

Most of the men have played at a decent level in the men's game, doesn't always make them good at punditry right enough. 

9 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

The second part of your sentence is why the first part is completely irrelevant.

No it isn't, having a proliferation of poor female pundits does nothing for nobody. 

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Wait till these guys hear about female "linesmen"

Obviously if we have a female referee at a high level it follows that there will already have been female assistant referees. 

It's been ages since I watched English fitba or internationals but the women pundits they had in, at least for the 2018 World Cup, were on balance substantially better than the guys alongside them. 

I think I've seen Shelley Kerr do some punditry as well and she was fine even if she did sound exactly like Nicola Sturgeon.

Michael Owen and Steve McManaman are by a considerable distance, the worst commentators on the telly. Also, I’d much rather be looking at and listening to someone like Alex Scott than a gammon idiot like Matt le Tissier.

Many clubs in Scotland have women's teams including the likes of Celtic and Rangers, those neanderthal sexist males living in the past who don't like it should write to their clubs and demand they get rid of the women,  better still threaten to tear up your ST. 

9 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Many clubs in Scotland have women's teams including the likes of Celtic and Rangers, those neanderthal sexist males living in the past who don't like it should write to their clubs and demand they get rid of the women,  better still threaten to tear up your ST. 

Sandy - you’re missing the point.

Absolutely no problem with women’s teams. Good luck to them.

What I and the Mrs hate are women commentators and pundits.

Let them deal with the women’s game.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Sandy - you’re missing the point.

Absolutely no problem with women’s teams. Good luck to them.

What I and the Mrs hate are women commentators and pundits.

Let them deal with the women’s game.

Female pundits are on the whole just as good/bad/cliché driven as their male counterparts.

Mind in the 1970's when women were allowed into pubs for the first time?

I recall the more unreconstructed gentlemen of the time struggling to accept such a scenario.

I'm so happy that a societal level we've moved on.

27 minutes ago, sophia said:

Mind in the 1970's when women were allowed into pubs for the first time?

I recall the more unreconstructed gentlemen of the time struggling to accept such a scenario.

I'm so happy that a societal level we've moved on.

I remember the Black Bull in Ayr guiding the ladies into the lounge as the men used coarse words in the bar, that was 20 years later. 

The Vale pub outside Glasgow Queen Street didn't have a women's toilet in the place, until Scotrail turned it into a ticket office about five years ago. It was also one of the finer pubs in the city centre.

These facts may or may not be in a causal relationship.