Are YOU Voting for the Alba Party?

NotThePars

Who's Voting for the Alba Party?  

398 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I know that some folk regard defections as just part of "the game", but to me it's more serious than that.

Bill Shankley found.  

I agree with you, though.  She won’t, because she’ll lose her seat and she’s an absolute careerist who will say anything to get, well, the loonball vote.  

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

For anyone who first became aware of her during the leadership campaign it should be self evident that she won't be any great loss to the SNP or even any value added to Alba. She's been an Alba member in all but name since she came a distant 3rd in the election, anyway

It's the political equivalent an OF kid who got 2 and a half minutes in a meaningless end of season game 5 years ago being referred to as "former Celtic/Rangers star" when they sign for someone in the seaside leagues

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Bill Shankley found.  

I agree with you, though.  She won’t, because she’ll lose her seat and she’s an absolute careerist who will say anything to get, well, the loonball vote.  

She's just joined a fringe party that won zero seats at the last Scottish election, who picked up what? 1% of the vote.

She might sneak back into Parliament on the list, but certainly no guarantee. 

Not exactly a sure fire move for her career.

I remember how during the leadership election Mad Wings Stu kept going on about how 'impressive' she was as a speaker in the debates, when zhe was clearly third-best, even behind Clueless Yousaf. Almost as if he was trying to set up a future defection to the 1% party.

I also remember some BTL comments on Wings about how Ash Regan 'sounded English'. Add that to the Covid-denials and indifference to Brexit and you wonder why anyone would defect to a party made up of so many loons..

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Salmond will be writing Regan's question for every FMQs. I assume even party leaders of themselves alone still get priority from the presiding officer? 

Cole-Hamilton doesn’t get one every week, and he only gets one follow up too, so I can’t imagine Regan will. 

10 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

bingo

He was the councillor who was accused  of posting "The RA on tour" about a holiday to NI on his Facebook page.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/scottish-council-candidate-from-ni-in-facebook-provo-post-row/35583254.html

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

26 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Cole-Hamilton doesn’t get one every week, and he only gets one follow up too, so I can’t imagine Regan will. 

The number of questions a leader gets corresponds with the number of seats they have. I think it's 5 seats you have to have to guarantee a question every week, the Lib Dems only have 4 seats. Regan will be treated like any backbencher wanting to ask a question.

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

The number of questions a leader gets corresponds with the number of seats they have. I think it's 5 seats you have to have to guarantee a question every week, the Lib Dems only have 4 seats. Regan will be treated like any backbencher wanting to ask a question.

Yep - a minority Party - no guaranteed FMQ or proper Party Political Broadcasts.

5 hours ago, RiG said:

Surely it's only a matter of time until Ewing heads over to Alba? 

Not happening.

His family name is synonymous with the party. He's going nowhere. He'd be more likely to step down than leave the SNP imo.

3 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

I think it’d take a helluva lot for him to give up on the SNP.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Not happening.

His family name is synonymous with the party. He's going nowhere. He'd be more likely to step down than leave the SNP imo.

Yeah that's true. The almost daily sniping did make me wonder if maybe, just maybe, he might defect but I think you're both probably right. 

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Not happening.

That will be the same family name which elevated him to a position beyond his talents.  He is instinctively a Tory who likes to project himself as some sort of maverick voice of reason within the SNP, whilst playing to the press gallery.

On 28/10/2023 at 17:50, ICTChris said:

Alba give the impression of having more members than voters.

It would be interesting to find out for sure, but I think Alba's party members number have risen. I know of 3 people local to me who have switched their membership, and there were reports during the GRRB period of the SNP where Alba claimed member numbers had risen. I would think that the membership will grow, but is support as high as they claim it is? I'm not sure that it is, however I do agree with the notion by AS that the Independence vote shouldn't be split, and that the pro-independence parties should unite for the next Westminster General Election and stand as "Scotland United".

On 31/10/2023 at 01:23, houston_bud said:

She's just joined a fringe party that won zero seats at the last Scottish election, who picked up what? 1% of the vote.

Yes, but remember Alba were a new party at that point, and other than a launch, they didn't have time to build any momentum. I can't even remember any real policy that they stood on, they must have had some but other than activate the negotiations for Independence within the first hour of being elected (or however AS worded it), I don't remember them standing for anything else. Now, they've had a good number of years campaigning, along with an increased membership and greater unrest amongst SNP voters and members, people might now be looking at them as a serious alternative. If I was to predict another Scottish Election outcome now, I would fancy Alba's vote to increase above what they scored last time. Do I think it's enough to put pressure on the SNP or significantly split the Yes vote.....i don't think it will be, but it might be enough to start the SNP worrying and that worry may just build in the same way that the Tories were worried about UKIP not so long ago.

At the latest SNP conference, HY obviously stated that the fight for independence will become the main manifesto pledge, that may stop a few more people from switching, those that have concerns can look at it as giving him/them a/another chance, however there will always be those who think they've had enough time. 

• 4 weeks later...

Challenge Cup 3rd round draw vibes here.

20231130_114851.thumb.jpg.ac1db3314df1f198b4dfa9dfde3c62b1.jpg

No.5, Sleepy Cuddles will take on No.8, Unashamed Grifter. And that concludes our draw. Ties to be played the weekend of 3rd September.

• 2 months later...