European Super League.

Lofarl

1 minute ago, G51 said:

I guess that the European Super League is a very different concept when it's your club that's involved. Who knows?

I mean it shouldn't make a difference. As a supporter of a club, I want to be at every one of my club's games. If I'm getting fleeced already for £80-90 for a match, what the f**k am I going to be charged for a ESL season ticket?

I don't understand how any sane fan who actually goes to games week-in week-out could actually want this to happen. It also feeds into my major criticism of the CL itself in the last 10-12 years - too many games removes the sense of occasion surrounding the big, proper box office matches. Games involving 2 European giants used to mean something when they came out the hat. I don't fancy watching them tee off over a competition where they'll be playing at least 25 or 26 games against one another.

If every match is a huge blockbuster, then none of them are.

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

No tears for UEFA here. They basically kickstarted this when they turned the tremendous European Cup into the shite Champions League. 

I don't remember the European Cup being that much better, some of the finals were among the worst games ever televised. At least there were a variety of teams involved though. 

Just now, G51 said:

I dunno. If the choice is joining an alternative to the Champions League, or staying in it and losing all your good players and becoming a second-tier European club, then you might look at it differently?

Nah, they would disillusion the majority of their fans in the process which would be worse than not joining this shitshow. The only German club that would consider joining it is Leipzig.

2 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I can't see it being as simple as that, after all why would Man U, Man C and the other clubs come up with this if they could be relegated out of it after a year, and possibly not return for several seasons. 

I think the point is the founders can’t be relegated.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Non-entity of a club that have actually won the champions league.  More than can be said for Arsenal, Spurs or Man City.  Even PSG or Leipzig if the jump on board with this.

Last 7 years Porto have won there own league..... twice.

Sitting second this season also. I presume we can put benfica into this also ? Sporting Lisbon are top so are they allowed in ? 

Just now, DMCs said:

The fucking state of "the people's club" Liverpool 🤣

The reaction of fans seems nearly entirely negative but I question whether some kind of boycott would actually work.

Not a chance. Local fans mean nothing to these clubs anymore when millions upon millions across Asia, America and... let's be real, anywhere will tune in to watch, and it's not like their money means much to the clubs compared to the potential sponsorships and sugar daddies that are already setting the league up.

1 minute ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Nah, they would disillusion the majority of their fans in the process which would be worse than not joining this shitshow. The only German club that would consider joining it is Leipzig.

I imagine the founder clubs are betting that the opposition to this is at it's fiercest at the moment and that the anger will eventually subside once the PR firms get to work.

A lot of this will also come down to politics within the clubs and within UEFA which none of us really have any visibility of.

3 minutes ago, DMCs said:

The fucking state of "the people's club" Liverpool 🤣

The reaction of fans seems nearly entirely negative but I question whether some kind of boycott would actually work.

Clubs like Liverpool don't need their paying punters - the club does just fine from broadcast revenues and also merchandise sales etc. The paying punter is expendable and unlike clubs in lower leagues (for example my own), the bigger clubs have weaned themselves off their reliance on them. 

Who could have ever foreseen elite level football consuming itself by allowing the greed of billionaires to rule over all?

Oh wait, most folk. We've all been saying it for years that one day the model was not sustainable and would burst.

Fucking magic!

The founding clubs said they would collectively be given a €3.5bn grant to spend on infrastructure investments.

Documents seen by the Financial Times suggest founder members will also be granted between €100m-€350m each to join the contest, and would continue to play in their national competitions, such as England’s Premier League and Spain’s La Liga. 

With expected revenues of €4bn for the competition through media and sponsorship sales, clubs would receive a fixed payment of €264m a year. JPMorgan declined to comment.

2 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Last 7 years Porto have won there own league..... twice.

Sitting second this season also. I presume we can put benfica into this also ? Sporting Lisbon are top so are they allowed in ? 

None of them are allowed in.  No TV audience or revenue.  It doesn’t mean Porto are a non-entity though.  Ajax likely won’t get in for the same reason and they’re an undisputed european football great.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Looking at it from a Salford City angle probably. His family also were heavily involved with Bury over the years so despite who he played for he's likely to be a diddy club man at heart.

He's a football man at heart. He respects all the clubs and fans the same, regardless of how much money they've got.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I mean it shouldn't make a difference. As a supporter of a club, I want to be at every one of my club's games. If I'm getting fleeced already for £80-90 for a match, what the f**k am I going to be charged for a ESL season ticket?

I don't understand how any sane fan who actually goes to games week-in week-out could actually want this to happen.

That's the whole point - more than 90% of the fans of those 12 clubs never attend matches. Their relationship with the clubs is completely remote.

Those fans - and most football fans - will watch matches on TV featuring the most famous clubs and players, but they're much less likely to bother if neither side has players they've heard of. That's were the money is, and ticket prices are little more than a cherry on top. 

I think outside of the clubs i wonder who the refs are going to be?

If UEFA are going scorched earth there is going to be a breakaway group of refs who probably wouldn't be allowed to ref in UEFA sanctioned competitions and the Super League.

could any scottish refs make the jump to Super League status?

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I think outside of the clubs i wonder who the refs are going to be?

If UEFA are going scorched earth there is going to be a breakaway group of refs who probably wouldn't be allowed to ref in UEFA sanctioned competitions and the Super League.

could any scottish refs make the jump to Super League status?

We've seen refs like Clattenberg go to Saudi Arabia and China, plus Greece using foreign refs like Madden for their big games, so if the money's right I'm sure some will happily take being barred from UEFA/FIFA competitions.