Scotland squad euro 2020

McGinn and Grealish interview giving me the fear today. McGinn seems to have a problem with tackling his pals. I need players who will go through their pals to win a game. He seems to be known for it too. 

f**k that,

I seen him play for Hibs against his brother, Stephen, he would have ran over his dead corpse for 3 points that night. Thankfully StMirren spanked them.

He will steam through Grealish if he has to. They shouldn't meet too often given their positions on the field. Although Clarke could give him a man marking role to hound him for 90 minutes. If anyone knows his weaknesses it will be meatball. One on one Grealish will shred O'Donnell to pieces. Can't let that happen.

8 hours ago, AJF said:

Do you happen to have the stats for Patterson?

He didn't play over 600 league minutes so no.

Try and avoid going below that as I use "per90" numbers, and they can be massively skewed if players haven't played enough.

Does anyone else think that Clarke will play McTominay as a right sided center half again on Monday?

I think playing him in midfield for the two friendlies was a rouse for our rivals looking on, and our midfield will be something like McGregor McGinn Armstrong. 

Our right side of defense and ability to keep retention of the ball are our weak points, playing McTominay at the back, has been an answer for this before, will Clarke go for it again?

22 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Does anyone else think that Clarke will play McTominay as a right sided center half again on Monday?

I think playing him in midfield for the two friendlies was a rouse for our rivals looking on, and our midfield will be something like McGregor McGinn Armstrong. 

Our right side of defense and ability to keep retention of the ball are our weak points, playing McTominay at the back, has been an answer for this before, will Clarke go for it again?

It wouldn't make sense playing a midfield that hadn't ever played together in a match. I like your thinking though, but I'd have Gilmour instead of McGregor.

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

McTominay with a pinpoint pass to Gilmour who drives up the pitch and creates an opening sounds like a good outball to me. 🤤

55 minutes ago, velo army said:

It wouldn't make sense playing a midfield that hadn't ever played together in a match. I like your thinking though, but I'd have Gilmour instead of McGregor.

I see what you're saying but wouldn't any midfield with Gilmour in it be one that hadn't played a match together. 

I'm pretty happy with the midfield, there are several options, that are good on they're own merit depending on how Clarke wants to go. McTominay is certainly one of those good options but to have him passing out from the back and covering the right wingback would maybe be better than Hendry/Hanley/Cooper et all?

The opportunity to win this opening fixture is huge, our defence imo is likely to be under more pressure in the following two games so a more natural defender should maybe play in those matches.

In all the permutations of how we could line up I see the right side of central defense as OUR weak point.

Looking back to the Netherlands friendly, I thought Armstrong was immense and the catalyst for so much good work. I'd definitely have him starting the Czech game.

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

I'm not sure how much benefit that rouse would really give us. Playing one of our best midfielders out of position won't exactly strike fear into the hearts of our enemies. If anything, it'll give them confidence.

If there is any rouse, it might be that the Czechs expect McGregor to play, but we surprise them with Gilmour and he tears them apart. 

Honestly, at this point, it feels like it's almost a bigger risk not to play Gilmour. Say, for example, we don't qualify for a tournament again for a while, and we don't play Gilmour now, we might look back and realise we made a huge mistake not playing a (potentially) world class player when it mattered most.

1 hour ago, Tartan Blood said:

I'm not sure how much benefit that rouse would really give us. Playing one of our best midfielders out of position won't exactly strike fear into the hearts of our enemies. If anything, it'll give them confidence.

If there is any rouse, it might be that the Czechs expect McGregor to play, but we surprise them with Gilmour and he tears them apart. 

Honestly, at this point, it feels like it's almost a bigger risk not to play Gilmour. Say, for example, we don't qualify for a tournament again for a while, and we don't play Gilmour now, we might look back and realise we made a huge mistake not playing a (potentially) world class player when it mattered most.

I get that you want Gilmour to play in the midfield but my concern is who do we play on the right side of central defencive three?

I'm not a huge Hanley fan so I'd go with the back 3 that started against the Netherlands, Hendry, Cooper, Tierney.   Hendry is probably the weak link in that though.

Edited by frankthetank22

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

I get that you want Gilmour to play in the midfield but my concern is who do we play on the right side of central defencive three?

I'm not a huge Hanley fan so I'd go with the back 3 that started against the Netherlands, Hendry, Cooper, Tierney.   Hendry is probably the weak link in that though.

I'd love to be able to play Armstrong, Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn and Fraser. Unfortunately they can't all fit in. But I'm not going to tell Clarke who to choose. Especially since McGregor and Christie will likely be in the mix as well. I also think the midfield used in the Czech game might be very different from the England game.

That's the exact back 3 I'd play. There really isn't much between Hendry, Cooper, Hanley, Gallagher and McKenna though. Hendry edges it for his height, composure on the ball, passing, and will have sky high confidence after his season at Oostende, not to mention his goal against the Dutch. But, in terms of actual defending, they are all pretty much equal, in my eyes.

Pat Nevin on AVFTT/Euros said with some conviction that McTominay will play in midfield and that Gilmour almost certainly won't play on Monday. He didn't exactly say 'Clarke told me this' but with them being pals i don't think it's daft to assume he's probably spoken to him some point, which i felt he was half alluding to. 

Edited by Fratelli

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I doubt Clarke is going about telling folk his team though, even his closest pals.

Aye I would doubt he's phoning folk up listing his 1-11, they might have an insight into how he's thinking about the squad and certain players in general going into the tournament though. 

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I doubt Clarke is going about telling folk his team though, even his closest pals.

His pals that work in the media that are paid to tell us what they think/know!

Not a chance that Niven has had any kind of nod and wink. That said, in this case, I agree - it’ll be McGregor, McTominay, McGinn.

On 12/06/2021 at 07:48, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

You are posting as if Ryan Jack was not injured

15 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

You are posting as if Ryan Jack was not injured

Not sure what you mean by mentioning Ryan Jack, my concern was the right side of the back three. 

Who would you suggest is the best player from our squad to play there against the Czechs?  I thought having McTominay there with his ability to step out of defense and dribble/pass would be an option. I'm not so confident with Gallagher/Hendry/McKenna.