Next to go?

5 hours ago, Bay Citizen said:

The club is at the beginning of doing a complete reset over the summer, so it's impossible to tell at the moment what we'll look like.Β  I would try to avoid comparisons to last season as we started it with new owners coming in only a month before the league cup started and managing some underlying problems left over from the previous regime which eventually led to the chaos of December/January.Β  We then plodded through the rest of the season with a hastily put together team of under 20's, loans and amateur contracts.Β 

Next season will be an almost brand new team and the owners will have had a few months to get all their ducks in a row this time.Β  We might still end up being the whipping boys but as you say, until we're a few games in, you can't tell.

Where is the money coming from? Your fan base doesn't suggest big season ticket sales. Have you a youth system in place and a commercial team?

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Where is the money coming from? Your fan base doesn't suggest big season ticket sales. Have you a youth system in place and a commercial team?

Cake sales.

On 19/05/2024 at 12:11, EdinburghBlue said:

While I always advise against making suggestions until squads have been assembled and a few games played a lot of people are saying Edinburgh City because of the general chaos of the last 12 months.Β 

Having played them regularly in the LL we've actually got a decent record against EK... touch wood, where's my lucky rabbit's foot, etc.Β 

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/02/2024 at 12:15, EdinburghBlue said:

I’m increasingly wondering whether the β€œnext to go” will be decided by liquidation/administration, rather than on the playing field. We are now in the reporting season for many clubs. Recently published accounts from East Fife and Peterhead make very interesting reading. In both cases auditors have raised concerns about β€œmaterial uncertainty related to growing concern.”

Peterhead lost Β£297k in the financial year to 31 May 2023. Net liabilities are Β£329k, meaning that the company is technically insolvent. Net current liabilities – sums that the club might have to find in the next 12 months – are Β£674k. And in the company’s lifetime it has total losses of Β£1650k i.e. the amount it has been subsidised by shareholders injecting capital. And there’s an individual note in the accounts that the club owes Β£275k to a former director, with no agreement in place on possible repayment, and a statement that β€œit is acknowledged that any request for repayment in demand would create significant cash flow difficulties for the football club and… Suitable repayment terms would have to be agreed… or fresh funding sought.”

East Fife only lost Β£53k in the same financial year, a big improvement on the Β£189k loss in 2022. In contrast to Peterhead the club isn’t technically insolvent, but that is only because of the value of its land/property. It owes about Β£270k, with some of that on the basis of a guarantee that it won’t be called in the next 18 months. This is another company that has burned through shareholders’ investments, with total losses of around Β£500k over the years.

In the 2022 financial year the average loss for the 17 SPFL 1/2 clubs whose accounts are available from Companies House was Β£113k. It rises to Β£155k if you include the two relegated clubs and the new arrivals from the Lowland League.

More updates as more accounts become available.

Sounds as if Inverness have administrators standing by for an β€˜insolvency event' in the next couple of days unless they get an emergency influx of cash. With a few clubs' accounts suggesting they can only struggle on for one or two years more before technical insolvency, I'm increasingly convinced that there will be departures because of financial problems. Of course there are well run clubs like East Kilbride standing by to fill any vacancies πŸ˜‰

36 minutes ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

if both Edinburgh City and ICT were unable to get licenses for the forthcoming season what would happen?

East Kilbride promoted and .......?

Surely they would only get points deductions.

1 hour ago, Sparticus said:

Surely they would only get points deductions.

I’d imagine that regardless of what happens to Edinburgh City, ICT willΒ at the very worstΒ go into administration and remain in League One, albeit with a points deduction. Which means that even if Edinburgh’s punishment for failing to meet the licensing requirements was expulsion, there would only be one SPFL vacancy, which would then surely go to East Kilbride.

No idea what the SPFL would do in the event that both clubs somehow fail to take their place in the league next season - which can only really happen if Caley go bust, and that seems very unlikely (at least in the short term).

12 hours ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

if both Edinburgh City and ICT were unable to get licenses for the forthcoming season what would happen?

The SFL and SPFL would consider things, undertake a fair and proper assessment, then ignore all that and promote Cowdenbeath.😜

21 minutes ago, MrFizz said:

The SFL and SPFL would consider things, undertake a fair and proper assessment, then ignore all that and promote Cowdenbeath.😜

I get the impression that's what Cowden are hoping for, if only they behave well enough.

If and I say if ICT go would SFFL look at another HL replacement and overlook EK in the interest of the wider geographic spread of the league?

Nothing would surprise me, obviously the bronze license thing would be an issue but as ever who can second guess those decision makers.Β 

Also be quite funny to hear the Kennedy meltdown if it happened.Β 

13 hours ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

The SPFL might invite applications, in which case Buckie Thistle Brechin City would be a shoo in.

@HibeeJibeeΒ will likely know what the procedure is.

13 hours ago, CS_Dumbarton said:

Penalty to RangersΒ 

2 hours ago, MrFizz said:

Sir, I like the cut of your gib. 🀣

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

The SPFL might invite applications, in which case Buckie Thistle Brechin City would be a shoo in.

@HibeeJibeeΒ will likely know what the procedure is.

I think it would be an application processΒ 

45 minutes ago, gordon9736 said:

If both teams were to go (and despite my hatred of ICT, I hope neither go), the only fair thing to do is allow the Arse Cheeks B teams inπŸ˜„

Somebody obviously thought that was a serious suggestion...