The work shy and bone idle....

13 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I've worked where I am for five years and there's (allegedly) a caretaker in the building.  I've seen him half a dozen times and he lives in the flat attached to the building.  I once asked the question a few weeks after I began here about what he does.  I got laughed at, but no answer was forthcoming.  To this day, I still don't know what he does.  Stealing a wage. Doing it right.

It's a skill they just don't teach anymore, imho.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

By the time i retire i'm expecting most of these balmy spots to be parched hell holes. I'm planning on relocating to somewhere fortified more than 60m above current sea level with its own water supply. 

Dumbarton Rock then.

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

When I retire, I plan to embark on numerous personal projects that I have always been meaning to do but I just couldn't find the time.

At the moment I have absolutely no idea what any of these projects might be but there is still plenty of time.

How old are you?

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

When I retire, I plan to embark on numerous personal projects that I have always been meaning to do but I just couldn't find the time.

At the moment I have absolutely no idea what any of these projects might be but there is still plenty of time.

I'll be getting stuck in (in about two years for partial, and five for full retirement) to the pile of plastic kits I seem to have somehow acquired in the last few years. As I now have about eighty, ranging from 1/144 scale WWII fighers to the big ol' 1/24 Hurricane*, I can confidently state that I am stable**. 'snot going to stop me buying any more that take my fancy, mind.

*And I'll be looking out for a bargain Typhoon or Hellcat in the same scale when Model Shows restart.

** Modeller-speak for STash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy.

7 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I've worked where I am for five years and there's (allegedly) a caretaker in the building.  I've seen him half a dozen times and he lives in the flat attached to the building.  I once asked the question a few weeks after I began here about what he does.  I got laughed at, but no answer was forthcoming.  To this day, I still don't know what he does.  Stealing a wage.

I used to live in a block of flats like that. When the live-in caretaker went on holiday, the standards improved considerably!

8 hours ago, hk blues said:

How's the visa situation in these places, though?

I'm in the Philippines - my wife is a Filipina so visa was no issue but the Philippines has a very simple Tourist Visa system - renew periodically up to 3 years, leave, return the next day and start the process all over again.  You can't own a house here, but you can own an apartment. 

It's not for everyone though, and certainly not as easy to adapt to as I'd imagine Spain would be.

Long ago,  I and some work colleagues took a 5 day holiday in  the Philippines.   We flew from Borneo into Manila.   The following week, at the same gate our plane

had arrived at, the military assasssinated Beniti Aquino, a politican returning from exile.   A friend of one of us had organised a local guide.  His job was to be a guide,

and also keep us safe.   I particular recall the huge number of men with shotguns who guarded just ordinary little shops. 

Over a period of years, we had long weekend holidays all over that area.... Hong Kong, KL, Singapore, Thailand. None of us had any desire to return to the Phiippines. 

All a bit too heavy, and by the sound of it... with Duterte's goons going round murdering people, it doesn't seem to have changed a lot.

7 hours ago, coprolite said:

By the time i retire i'm expecting most of these balmy spots to be parched hell holes. I'm planning on relocating to somewhere fortified more than 60m above current sea level with its own water supply. 

If that is all you care about then Antarctica would be an option.  Definitely no risk of it being parched.

HTH

9 hours ago, beefybake said:

Long ago,  I and some work colleagues took a 5 day holiday in  the Philippines.   We flew from Borneo into Manila.   The following week, at the same gate our plane

had arrived at, the military assasssinated Beniti Aquino, a politican returning from exile.   A friend of one of us had organised a local guide.  His job was to be a guide,

and also keep us safe.   I particular recall the huge number of men with shotguns who guarded just ordinary little shops. 

Over a period of years, we had long weekend holidays all over that area.... Hong Kong, KL, Singapore, Thailand. None of us had any desire to return to the Phiippines. 

All a bit too heavy, and by the sound of it... with Duterte's goons going round murdering people, it doesn't seem to have changed a lot.

First of all, Manila isn't representative of the Philippines - where I live we really only see armed guards in banks and large stores, the local 7/11 and small stores not common.  As for the war on drugs, it's really not as bad as it's portrayed by the media.  Again, where I live I haven't seen one single killing of any description in my 6+ years.  There were a number of drug busts in my city over the weekend but nobody was killed!

It's a country where if you keep yourself on the right side of things you'll live well but stray off the path and you're fucked! 

To be fair, whilst living in the UK we visited Asia countless and never had the desire to visit the place, same when we lived in Hong Kong for 10 years we had no desire to come here.  I'm only here because the wife is a Filipina. 

18 hours ago, strichener said:

Visited Hungary a few times now and would think it should feature fairly highly on anyone list of cheap places to retire to.  Language is a b*****d though.

Lived in Hungary for 6 years and all in all it was a fantastic place to live and work. 

Maybe not the ideal place with the the current government, but it ticks a lot of boxes: Good location for getting around, decent standard of living, decent medical standards. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

First of all, Manila isn't representative of the Philippines - where I live we really only see armed guards in banks and large stores, the local 7/11 and small stores not common.  As for the war on drugs, it's really not as bad as it's portrayed by the media.  Again, where I live I haven't seen one single killing of any description in my 6+ years.  There were a number of drug busts in my city over the weekend but nobody was killed!

It's a country where if you keep yourself on the right side of things you'll live well but stray off the path and you're fucked! 

To be fair, whilst living in the UK we visited Asia countless and never had the desire to visit the place, same when we lived in Hong Kong for 10 years we had no desire to come here.  I'm only here because the wife is a Filipina. 

Can only agree with the above. I have many reasons to dislike the Philippines but it is not totally representative. Manila and Calabarzon on the whole is a real dump and crime infested, but if you get away from there things improve considerably. 

Its not for everyone, but for some you could have a decent, peaceful retirement. 

As retiring here (Singapore) is mostly unlikely we are planning for Bali. 

Just now, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Can only agree with the above. I have many reasons to dislike the Philippines but it is not totally representative. Manila and Calabarzon on the whole is a real dump and crime infested, but if you get away from there things improve considerably. 

Its not for everyone, but for some you could have a decent, peaceful retirement. 

As retiring here (Singapore) is mostly unlikely we are planning for Bali. 

I've never been to Manilla and have no plan to fix that!  I think around parts of Cebu it may also be iffy.  Where I am, if you can live with sudden power outages (the famous brownouts) once or twice a month for an hour or two, or having no running water for a few hours every other month and not being able to get your favourite brand of crisps every time you can have a comfortable enough life here. Oh, and dogs barking.

IIRC your wife is Indonesian so Bali makes perfect sense.  I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for it being the wife's home.  

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I've never been to Manilla and have no plan to fix that!  I think around parts of Cebu it may also be iffy.  Where I am, if you can live with sudden power outages (the famous brownouts) once or twice a month for an hour or two, or having no running water for a few hours every other month and not being able to get your favourite brand of crisps every time you can have a comfortable enough life here. Oh, and dogs barking.

IIRC your wife is Indonesian so Bali makes perfect sense.  I wouldn't be where I am if it wasn't for it being the wife's home.  

There is little I can say positive about Manila. I lived in Quezon City, Novoleta and Dasmarinas so always around Manila and experienced unimaginable poverty, gun crime,  murder and corruption in every aspect of life. A friend had an issue with a German guy and was offered for a small fee to have him blacklisted and have him deported, for an extra fee the charge could be ‘murderer or pedophile’. This from a senior official. Madness.

On the flip side spent a lot of time in Neuva Ecija, Davao and Capiz and the haospitality was excellent and a world away from the cess pit of Manila.

Yes the wife is Indonesian so moving to Bali is a breeze and having lived in Indonesia before will be very easy. 

1 minute ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

There is little I can say positive about Manila. I lived in Quezon City, Novoleta and Dasmarinas so always around Manila and experienced unimaginable poverty, gun crime,  murder and corruption in every aspect of life. A friend had an issue with a German guy and was offered for a small fee to have him blacklisted and have him deported, for an extra fee the charge could be ‘murderer or pedophile’. This from a senior official. Madness.

On the flip side spent a lot of time in Neuva Ecija, Davao and Capiz and the haospitality was excellent and a world away from the cess pit of Manila.

Yes the wife is Indonesian so moving to Bali is a breeze and having lived in Indonesia before will be very easy. 

Yep...keep your head down and nose clean is the motto here.  Luckily, as you know I'm far from the madness of Manila so we don't see the same levels of the stuff you mention but I still make a point of keeping myself to myself.  It's not hard as the majority of folk around me have nothing in common with me so it's all good. 

I'd swap it for Bali though!