Big, Horrible Motherwell vs County - 25/09/2021

30 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think Carroll thinks and plays like a pure full-back, which is probably the better option in games where we want to attack. McGinley has been very good in his absence, but for me he still plays a bit like a centre back who's been asked to play left-back, which probably helped in games where Aberdeen and Rangers were attacking a lot.

We did miss Carroll's set-piece delivery but given that's something that Goss can supposedly contribute, we may not need to consider that.

On one hand from the way Alexander's talked about us "using the squad" it feels like horses for courses is kind of an option for him, on the other he's been vocal about the whole if you're playing/training well you get the jersey bit. So f**k knows re: the Toby/Carroll conundrum.

No doubt Carroll offers delivery and is the natural full back of the two but also he got himself a fucking daft red card and Toby's not done much wrong when he's filled in. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Goss seems an easier one in so much as he arrived at the club later but unlike Sondre hadn't been playing regularly. If he's coming back from a knock I'd imagine he'd take Crawford's place on the bench and we'd look to get him on for 30 mins rather than break up the midfield 3 who have been getting a run together..

Edited by capt_oats

Motherwell fans probably looking at our results and seeing this as a walkover but we have had a horrid run of fixtures to start and are already looking a far better side than last year , we’ve drawn with hearts , Aberdeen and st johnstone whilst we put in spirited performances against both of the old firm the only blotch on the record so far is a 3-0 defeat to hibs. Ironically I’d drop white for this game but he has done very well for us I just feel one of the samuels would suit better for pace on the break and deserve a chance, hopefully Clarke is back but if not I’m content with Baldwin and iacovitti, hoping for something like this

maynard-brewer 

burroughs Clarke iacovitti b.Paton 

RCC spittal tillson callachan h.paton 

D.Samuel 

Going for another 2-2 as motherwell appear to be flying but we have also held our own against rangers, aberdeen and hearts so no reason this can’t continue

Edited by Rcfc fan

1 hour ago, Rcfc fan said:

Motherwell fans probably looking at our results and seeing this as a walkover but we have had a horrid run of fixtures to start and are already looking a far better side than last year , we’ve drawn with hearts , Aberdeen and st johnstone whilst we put in spirited performances against both of the old firm the only blotch on the record so far is a 3-0 defeat to hibs. Ironically I’d drop white for this game but he has done very well for us I just feel one of the samuels would suit better for pace on the break and deserve a chance, hopefully Clarke is back but if not I’m content with Baldwin and iacovitti, hoping for something like this

maynard-brewer 

burroughs Clarke iacovitti b.Paton 

RCC spittal tillson callachan h.paton 

D.Samuel 

Going for another 2-2 as motherwell appear to be flying but we have also held our own against rangers, aberdeen and hearts so no reason this can’t continue

Think most are expecting to come crashing back down to earth, certainly won't be a walk over. I suppose the game, for us both, will be a real marker of how far we have came. Like you said, your results might not look world beating but holding your own against the so called better sides in the league is a promising sign, on paper this is maybe a fixture you should be looking to take something from, same for us. 

Should be a good game.

Different test for us. With our expectations very fucking low we've done well against teams we weren't particularly expecting much from, but now we're expected to take the game to someone.

2-0 against County's team of FM regens, 'Malky' to complain that we didn't play football the right way.

I'll have a couple of quid on him anytime, as White is absolutely scoring in this one, at which point his Mrs will invade the pitch and run the length of the East Stand giving every cnut the fingers.

We'll score more though, so it will be a long journey of embarrassment and regret for her back up the A9.

3-1 'Well.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Different test for us. With our expectations very fucking low we've done well against teams we weren't particularly expecting much from, but now we're expected to take the game to someone.

2-0 against County's team of FM regens, 'Malky' to complain that we didn't play football the right way.

"What are you doing here, you’re playing football the wrong way!”
Grumbled Malky quite racistly.

I was going to head through to this for my first Ross County game since we were in Motherwell in March last year. Unfortunately, Cross Country appear to have gotten rid of the 45mins direct train from Edinburgh pre- and immediately post-match. I don't much fancy 1hr 32mins via places such as Greenfaulds and Whifflet that I'm not sure exist outside a Scotrail timetable.

From what I've read about Motherwell's fans worries about having to take the game to someone, I think 0-0, which County will be delighted with.

If we score in the first half, we could get to 2-0 if not then any goal will see the traditional filtering on of defenders.  Alexander needs to be aware of the concussion sub rule this year that could see a fourth new defender introduced. Van Veen to headbutt the post on the 80th minute.

I was going to head through to this for my first Ross County game since we were in Motherwell in March last year. Unfortunately, Cross Country appear to have gotten rid of the 45mins direct train from Edinburgh pre- and immediately post-match. I don't much fancy 1hr 32mins via places such as Greenfaulds and Whifflet that I'm not sure exist outside a Scotrail timetable.
From what I've read about Motherwell's fans worries about having to take the game to someone, I think 0-0, which County will be delighted with.
1hr 32mins for a train from Edinburgh to Motherwell! That's bonkers. You might actually be quicker getting the train to Queen St. and walking to Central or Argyle Street and getting a train back to Motherwell.

14 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
1 hour ago, Forfinn said:

1hr 32mins for a train from Edinburgh to Motherwell! That's bonkers. You might actually be quicker getting the train to Queen St. and walking to Central or Argyle Street and getting a train back to Motherwell.

Trains would certainly be more frequent 

1 hour ago, Forfinn said:

For years I used to head through from Edinburgh - and because the intercity trains were pretty unreliable - I always got the Glasgow Central/Shotts train to Carfin (depending on where you are in edinburgh, it also stops at Wester Hailes, Slateford and Currie), which takes about an hour. I used to get a taxi to Fir Park from there which was a couple of quid and less than 10 mins. If memory serves, they leave Waverley at 25 past the hour.

There is a change in the air. Normal form for us would certainly be to cock this up but this season feels different and we actually have a team of battlers that know how to gain points in difficult situations. I’m going for 3-1 Motherwell with Van Veen and Watt running the show.

12 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

That first paragraph could be said by a County fan.  With a new young defence, a rebuild of our whole squad we've expectations have been VERY low but with some decent performances and draws away to Aberdeen and an on form hearts we've probably got more from these opening fixtures than some would have been expecting.

I'd take a boring 0-0 tbh.

On 22/09/2021 at 14:32, Desp said:

If van Veen & Watt fancy it on Saturday, I think we could hand out a bit of a doing.  4-0 Motherwell.

Someone's been due a good doing for about five seasons now, and this might just be it. The ever-improving Woolery should be on a high after opening his account against Rangers; Watt and KVV haven't scored for a fortnight so are due one each; Slattery is surely going to ping one in at some point; and the Nordic gods won't want to miss out on the action from our now-trademark set pieces. O'Hara is long overdue one from a driving run, and you wouldn't bet against Goss for first scorer either if he gets a start.

So, either 8-0 to Motherwell, or - equally likely - 4-1 to County with a Jordan White hat trick.