Normal Island

Some of the sentences being handed out to some folks taking part in the "riots" is absolutely mental.

5 years for filling a bag with shit from Lush.  Hopefully the guy gets the help he needs taking that shite but 5 years.  Deary me.

People being assaulted every weekend and ending up in hospital, perps get a suspended sentence etc.  This is a prime example of the judiciary bowing to the politicians.  Independent my arse.

11 minutes ago, strichener said:

Some of the sentences being handed out to some folks taking part in the "riots" is absolutely mental.

5 years for filling a bag with shit from Lush.  Hopefully the guy gets the help he needs taking that shite but 5 years.  Deary me.

People being assaulted every weekend and ending up in hospital, perps get a suspended sentence etc.  This is a prime example of the judiciary bowing to the politicians.  Independent my arse.

He also attacked a car with passengers inside and tried to drag them out to the baying mob, presumably thinking they were Muslims, turned out to be East European. The police were losing control, folk trying to burn down hotels with refugees and staff inside. Deterrent sentences seem to be working. 

14 minutes ago, strichener said:

He had previous for race related crimes of violence and is clearly a cùnt. I doubt we're  losing a cure for cancer during his sentence.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

At least his ill gotten goods will have some benefit. Smelling of Figs and Lotus Flowers will help ensure he has a line of burly suitors vying for his company straight away on arrival in the pokey.

Why can't we have fast sentencing and proper jail time all the time?  Instead we get a lot of bleating pish that long sentences aren't a deterrent - except when the state wants them to be of course.

Be interesting to see how long these people actually serve inside. Standard is they're released half way through but the prisons are full and people have been getting out even earlier. 

20 hours ago, strichener said:

It was the same in the London riots. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-14553330  Basically they have to make an example of incidents where they have no control or lost control over. It's the only way to show who's in charge from government, judiciary and police and the way to do that is to hand out heavy sentences to put off folk from having a laugh and nicking shit out shops. 

6 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Why can't we have fast sentencing and proper jail time all the time?  Instead we get a lot of bleating pish that long sentences aren't a deterrent - except when the state wants them to be of course.

Be interesting to see how long these people actually serve inside. Standard is they're released half way through but the prisons are full and people have been getting out even earlier. 

Long sentences aren't a deterrent to recidivists.  Any term time is a deterrent to most of the population.

4 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Long sentences aren't a deterrent to recidivists.  Any term time is a deterrent to most of the population.

I would tend to agree with that.

Anyone trying to get a job would not get past the interview stage in Scotland (there is probably something similar down south) after such a conviction with PVG checks in place.

I'm also kind of conflicted here, as I believe in giving everyone a second chance, but who is going to educate/ rehabilitate an inherently racist individual on their release from prison?

13 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Probably because locking people up in the jail costs a f**king fortune, and just makes them more likely to commit crime upon release out of desperation.

We'll likely switch to the American system eventually - long sentences paid for by slave labour, with the justice system incentivised to lock up as many people as possible to feed the machine. Might be one of those pesky things that we need to leave the ECHR to do, though.

13 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Why can't we have fast sentencing and proper jail time all the time?  

As my dear departed dad, an ex-copper, said, if you ended up in court it's because you're guilty.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

As my dear departed dad, an ex-copper, said, if you ended up in court it's because you're guilty.

I'd be genuinely curious to know how many people would agree to do away with trials and abide by the 'where there's smoke, there's fire' doctrine.

Hey, maybe we'll live long enough to find out!

On 17/08/2024 at 08:02, Sheas_cake said:

I'd vaguely heard of Tommy Fury. I assume he's related to Tyson Fury and that's literally the only reason he's "famous". 

Mmmm kind of.  He’s Tyson’s brother but is a boxer in his own right, and also went on Love Island, which, let’s face it, will have been to do with his name.

Edited by CarrbridgeSaintee

5 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Mmmm kind of.  He’s Tyson’s brother but is a boxer in his own right, and also went on Love Island, which, let’s face it, will have been to do with his name.

Quite sad that you know even that much about one of them.

2 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I would tend to agree with that.

Anyone trying to get a job would not get past the interview stage in Scotland (there is probably something similar down south) after such a conviction with PVG checks in place.

I'm also kind of conflicted here, as I believe in giving everyone a second chance, but who is going to educate/ rehabilitate an inherently racist individual on their release from prison?

Apprenticeship at GB News?