Hibees v Steelmen 04.12.21

We usually do ok at Easter Rd - but ever since he's been at Hibs, Boyle has always been excellent against us (even though it's not true, it feels like he scores a goal a game against us) and that always gives me the fear.

I watched the Hibs-Rangers game and Hibs looked pretty solid but obviously they'll open up more against us and I think our forward line is capable of doing some damage against pretty much any team in the league. Defence-wise, I guess we're down the bare bones, so assuming Ojala isn't back, O'Donnell will come back in and Bevis/Lamie2021 will be in the middle.

Alexander's team talk should be pretty easy - he can point to the Hearts and Utd games and show how competitive we are with better teams in the league when we turn up and can point to rough pumpings off Rangers and Dundee when we don't. The chance to open a 9 point gap to Hibs should be the best incentive...

For some reason I've always thought that games between Motherwell and Hibs tend to be much more entertaining than our average games. Don't get me wrong, they can be one-sided either way and both sides have dished out doings but there tends to be some quality football breaking out at times. So, after all that, nil-nil draw tomorrow?

9 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

For some reason I've always thought that games between Motherwell and Hibs tend to be much more entertaining than our average games. Don't get me wrong, they can be one-sided either way and both sides have dished out doings but there tends to be some quality football breaking out at times. So, after all that, nil-nil draw tomorrow?

Last time I was at Fir Park it was an absolute dour 0-0 and there was also one at the start of last season so I don’t want to jinx it but I think we’ve had our fix of that already.

The last 0-0 between the sides before then was in 1996.

10 hours ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

Can't really call Saturday. If Motherwell are as dangerous as they were on the opener and have looked since I think we'll struggle. Having said that the midfield trio of Campbell, JDH and Newell is fairly robust and barring the penalty Porteous looked imperious. Whether that's enough to keep Motherwell out I'm not so sure, but I'm not overly confident in our attacking capabilities.

Curious to know from Motherwell fans if Van Veen and Watt are a working partnership? Big fan of the latter and Van Veen looked impressive against us. 

I wouldn't say we're as "dangerous" as the opening game, that performance hasn't really been representative of the Murderball set-up we've tended to use this season.

Our away form is...'alright' but nothing really to shout about. We've P 7 W 2 D 2 L 3. Wins came at Livi and Aberdeen, draws against St Johnstone and Rangers, losses were Hearts, United and last week's shitshow against Dundee that everyone got bent out of shape about (and rightly so).

That said, in line with @Ron Aldo's point about going in to games fairly confident we'll score, we've only failed to score in 3 of our 16 league games this season.

Of those 3 though 2 have been away from home (Tynecastle and erm, Dens).

We've also not scored a first half league goal away from home all season.

1112373026_ScreenShot2021-12-03at10_05_28.thumb.png.8619a62e4547de44a4d7c79df9e93bd0.png

Like other 'well fans in the thread I'd happily take a draw here tbqh.

Also, Watt and Van Veen haven't really been a working partnership as such. KVV has been in and out the team while generally we play a front 3 so one of them has been nominally playing wide. It's fair to say Van Veen's been less effective on the left of the 3 than Watt and looks far more suited to being the central striker. 

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, Swello said:

Defence-wise, I guess we're down the bare bones, so assuming Ojala isn't back, O'Donnell will come back in and Bevis/Lamie2021 will be in the middle.

Some laugh when you realise that 'bare-bones' back 4 was basically our first choice defence during the 'gun to the head' stretch last season.

Also, it seems Sol's issue was cramp rather than anything more untoward. So that's nice.

Like most others have alluded, would absolutely bite your hand off for a draw tomorrow. particularly after Hibs showing on wednesday, very impressive and definitely deserved something from the game. 

Unsure who was doing the Commentary however they mentioned that Hibs really struggled to break rangers down as Rangers seemed to camp in a bit more after the semi final, This kind of goes against everything we have done in the last few games (barring cough Dundee cough) so interested to see how we approach it.

Boyle worries me, always seems to find the net against us, Nisbet, despite not being in great form will always be a threat, Joe Newell is quite a tidy player as well, Porteous as well penalty aside had an excellent game the other night, Van veen seemed to have one up on the hibs defence on the first day of the season though, so hoping for a repeat of that.

will jump on the high scoring draw bandwagon, 2-2. 

Enjoy.

14 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Boyle worries me, always seems to find the net against us, Nisbet, despite not being in great form will always be a threat, Joe Newell is quite a tidy player a massive fucking Tory as well, Porteous as well penalty aside had an excellent game the other night, Van veen seemed to have one up on the hibs defence on the first day of the season though, so hoping for a repeat of that.

FTFY.

We’ve been playing much better in the last couple of weeks, if we play the way we did at St Johnstone last week I think we could win quite comfortably.  Motherwell fans can correct me if I’m wrong but all of your best performances from what I’ve seen have been at home so more chance of you not turning up away? 

I’d have Doidge in from the start as Motherwell will try and turn it into a battle

19 minutes ago, Hibee_Hibernian said:

We’ve been playing much better in the last couple of weeks, if we play the way we did at St Johnstone last week I think we could win quite comfortably.  Motherwell fans can correct me if I’m wrong but all of your best performances from what I’ve seen have been at home so more chance of you not turning up away? 

I’d have Doidge in from the start as Motherwell will try and turn it into a battle

I'd say the majority of our best performances have been at home, aye, but we've still won away at Aberdeen & Livingston this season, as well as picking up a point at Ibrox.  

Basically what @well fan for life says below... 

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

A toss of the coin recently. Either you're getting absolutely battered as we cruise to a victory or we'll decide that midfield is only a vague concept and not turn up. 

45 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

I ate at a place that was OK that was across from a university building and maybe just around the corner from Mum's, but don't recall the name? 

The Ting Thai Caravan on Teviot Place. If you're student-averse, the clientele might put you off, but it's fairly cheap and people I know who are opinionated about food seem to like it. I do too, but I can eat any old garbage, so I'm not picky enough to comment.

Edited by Aim Here