Raith Rovers v Kilmarnock - 11/12/21

Thought we were quite guff today and yet it was one of our better performances under TW, which says it all.

Raith didn't really threaten us other than a dangerous cross or two across the box. I don't remember Hemming being troubled much, until we give away a daft pen. Opposite side from us but looked hand ball to me, so not sure what Wright is complaining about. The only thing I couldn't tell being so far away was whether it was in the box, but must have been.

We should have been one or two up by then - Alston's attempt at a shot was pathetic and Shaw's choice of finish was bizarre. Can only assume that the way the ball was he couldn't wrap his right foot around it? Thought we had a few other good attacks, but didn't lead to much - when you've got bang average players like Fraser Murray cutting inside and blasting a shot over the bar or missing the target from a FK, you're not likely to score.

We're a good bit in to the season now and it's obvious Wright's players aren't worth anything. Hemming has been excellent. Burke and Rory (not TW's) both get pass marks for the season so far. Guys like Naismith, Alston, Polworth, McGowan, Fraser Murray, Daniel Armstrong (to a lesser extent, as we haven't seen an awful lot to judge) are not up to the job of getting us promoted.

Talk of ringing big changes this week and he brings in Alston (!!) and Sanders. It was hardly the appearance of Macarthur / Brindley / Warnock we were hoping for.

Been saying for a while now that Tommy doesn't have any bank of credit or kudos built up with the fans. We win a few games or go a few undefeated, generally without playing particularly well, then a couple of bad performances and bad results and the boos have resurfaced. Not helped by his criticism of the fans in these moments. Away to Inverness it got a bit uncomfortable at the end, especially with the players having to go past us. Folk rightly voicing their unhappiness today and he turns and reacts - twice. The relationship between fans and manager is at rock bottom now, no thanks to him. We don't like his brand of football, we don't like his players, we don't like his team selection - he's done nothing to endear himself!

Said it after the game at Rugby Park, but Armstrong's decision to leave us looks daft now. He's been relegated to a bit part player after being one of our best players last season.  He was talking after our game at Recs last season about how happy he was and how it was the most he's enjoying his football.

Obviously, footballers at this level won't be on a lot of money and you'd imagine Killie will offer better wages than we can and he'd have felt he'd have gone to a team who were stick on for promotion. Even if the situation does improve, you'd be hard pressed to imagine Armstrong being a focal point. This is the second time where he's left us to have a crack elsewhere and both times he's ended up on the fringes. 

4 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Said it after the game at Rugby Park, but Armstrong's decision to leave us looks daft now. He's been relegated to a bit part player after being one of our best players last season.  He was talking after our game at Recs last season about how happy he was and how it was the most he's enjoying his football.

Obviously, footballers at this level won't be on a lot of money and you'd imagine Killie will offer better wages than we can and he'd have felt he'd have gone to a team who were stick on for promotion. Even if the situation does improve, you'd be hard pressed to imagine Armstrong being a focal point. This is the second time where he's left us to have a crack elsewhere and both times he's ended up on the fringes. 

I may have mentioned previously that my first sight of Daniel was as a trialist in a reserve match against Queens Park where he was worse than rank.

However he was signed and at the time he was... adequate.

I wish him well, but we have moved on and we have better options on the books.

2 hours ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Huge praise today for Arnott when he came on. He put himself about and must have broke up play 4 or 5 times to allow us to get the ball back and break. Can see him getting more and more game time over the next few months. For 17 years old he looks superb.

I get the feeling that JMcG sees him as Tait’s replacement...perhaps next season, perhaps sooner. He’s a similar AM type and certainly looks the deal in the little peeks we’ve gotten.

8 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Massive win for the Rovers. Title favourites IMO.

Shoosht you!🤫

We're trying to fly under the radar. Likely to lose one or two key players in January unless they or their parent clubs can be persuaded otherwise. No idea what the manager has lined up for replacement if required.🤔

Anyway, league titles are never won half way through the season.

Edited by embow

20 hours ago, TxRover said:

To be fair, he’s generally played significantly better (than what, you say) when starting than coming in underway. That being said, I’ll suggest that Arnott is the choice before BRS right now. However, given JMcG’s habits, I expect:

MacDonald

Tumilty/Lang/Berra/Dick

Tait/Matthews

Connolly/Ross/Zanatta

Varian

if Connolly is out, insert Arnott in midfield with Matthews and Tait and then use Ross withheld behind Varian and Zanatta. Alternate choice for Arnott would be Musonda.

Hi John well done today 😂😂😜

28 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Massive win for the Rovers. Title favourites IMO.

Far too early to say. We're certainly in tremendous run of form and we've had plenty of draws which could've been defeats, or wins which might've been draws. I'd expect Killie to make quite significant changes in January. Much like Arbroath, for ourselves, it'll really depend on how much resources we have free to bring new bodies in. In the way that they have to replace Nouble, we need to find someone who can cover Spencer. Admittedly, today has given me every confidence that Aaron Arnott has the ability to be able to play regularly. Next week is another critical game for us. 

59 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I get the feeling that JMcG sees him as Tait’s replacement...perhaps next season, perhaps sooner. He’s a similar AM type and certainly looks the deal in the little peeks we’ve gotten.

Was excellent when he came in and looks like he has bulked up a bit or my old eyes are deceiving me. Certainly looks a good prospect 

7 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

That definitely hit an outstretched hand, but I have to tell you, I thought it was Varian's... 

Well, at least this turned out to be nonsense. It definitely hits the defender's hand, and it's definitely sticking out away from his body. You can argue all day about the ins and outs of the handball rule and whether it should be deliberate or not, but that's not the obvious miscarriage of justice that Tommy Wright seems to be looking for. 

Penalty? Probably by the strict letter of the law but a bit fortunate. If that had been outwith the box I doubt a free kick would  be awarded. A wee lucky break perhaps but these things happen and often even out over the season.

6 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:
6 hours ago, bagpuss said:
Very soft penalty to win it but I'll take it. Collum was useless. Is he really one of the best refs in Scotland?

Looked a clear pen to me. Surprised some folk were surprised.

I agree.

I thought it at the time and the highlights confirm - if the Kilmarnock defender hadn't been so keen to push Varian in the back, his arm might not have been in such an unnatural position when the ball struck it.

1 hour ago, Been going too long said:

Was excellent when he came in and looks like he has bulked up a bit or my old eyes are deceiving me. Certainly looks a good prospect 

I’d love to see him get a full half+ sometime before Tait leaves. He will have flaws and weaknesses, but right now he is very reminiscent of Dylan trying to break into the first team. Where I had previously suggested that Arnott might go out on loan to a League One team after January, I cannot see that happening now, as he clearly appears ready for this level from limited viewing.

Wasn't a great game, Killie should have been ahead, and other than the goal we created little.
Yet I was fucking buzzing at full time.  Absolutely love this team spirit.  South Stand was rocking at full time.  
I was considering watching on Raith TV as I had a rather grim hangover. Very glad I went along. Full time was absolutely fantastic was you say. There's just a real understanding between the fans and players. There's still the occasional idiot abusing players during games but for the most part it's good.

Love the addition of the pitch side camera. Especially the one of immediately after the game with the player reactions.

10 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

If Tait is on his game why replace him with Arnott?

Aye, that’s the difficulty. But we need to see what we have before the window opens...it’s that part of the job that managers who do understand, and we pundits often misunderstand. It’s easy to call for squad rotation, but when you do and it fails, the pundit is laughed at, the manager is at risk for his job. However, JMcG has shown with Ziggy and Tait that he isn’t afraid to push a youngster into the lineup, so we’ll see.