The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

Just now, chomp my root said:

Fair one, I know she's a columnist/podcaster etc NOW, I didn't want to risk her as a 'famous for dying' pick. Good luck with her mate.

I picked her for this year so she is safe in any case, it's the ones I decide to pick for next year that are in bother.

1 hour ago, Aim Here said:

Just had a look at the spreadsheet, and some notes.

There are 661 unique celebrities picked by 111 contestants, of which 427 were solo shots and 94 duos.

Unsurprisingly Queen Lizzy is both the top pick and the highest riser this year, with 42 picks, up from 10 last year. People are no doubt expecting some sort of new widow bounce.

Ghislaine Maxwell has increased from 10 to a whopping 22 picks, which is a lot for someone neither ill nor old. Pele has risen up the charts too, after appearing notably frail recently. The highest-picked new entry is the politician Frank Field who chose an assisted dying debate to announce that he was hospice-bound (and an entirely unrelated Frank Field made a debut appearance too, for good measure).

On the other side, the consensus seems to be that Toms Parker and Smith are considerably less moribund than they were before; they both had 29 picks last year and dropped 8 and 10 respectively this time around.

I count four theme teams this year.

@get_the_subbies_on went with Hollywood actresses again

Miguel has stuck with his batch of writers, with the token 'get me some points THIS year, at least' exception of some ice hockey player with cancer. Writers tend to be a suboptimal choice, because they live forever, as Miguel is no doubt discovering. He should eventually get one of them to score *sometime*.

@expatowner has a big smattering of sixties and seventies musicians

@Ray Patterson claimed to be going for a theme, but there's no obvious connection there, other than the team being slightly politician-heavy. There are non-theme teams that are more thematic than this, like @dee_62 going a half-and-half music/fitba effort. If I'm not missing something obscure, then boo!

@Curmudgeon's alphabetic list is clearly the best theme of the year. He should get 26 extra bonus points if his picks die in alphabetical order.

@Hamish's_Passenger only picked 14 players. 

This year's Great Minds That Think Alike teams are @Indale Winton and @Bishop Briggs who share 9 picks each between them. Indale Winton has already pulled ahead in the score table, because he made Gary Burgess his captain and Briggsy didn't. Some minds are slightly greater than others, it seems.

And there is no team from 2019's runaway winner @alta-pete! After his mid-table 2020 finish, he promised to be up with the big boys at the start of 2021, which netted him nul points. This is clearly a warning of the dangers of hubris. Surely this would have been the year to put in a team and go for some kind of redemption arc.

It’s a fair point @Aim Here but after my utterly dismal performance this year I genuinely couldn’t muster the enthusiasm to again put as much work into finding a suitably unique low age/high risk team that would yield me the points of 2019 yet this year delivered me ZERO points.

And the shame of re-entering the same team of 15 immortals was too much for me to bear - but now watch as my 2021 team will start dropping like flies through 2022  

The plan this year is to watch from the stands, actually take notes from The Daily Mail (instead of just making a mental note that ‘they’d be a good pick for next year’s team, must remember them’, and which of course I never do). 

Watch out cuntos, I’ll be back in 2023. Serious bidness. 

5 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Maybe being thick but is there a quick way to see if I have any solo/duo?

I've dunked the picks into a more usable spreadsheet, so I can tell you that your solos are:

Shelley Duvall
Selena Gomez
Larry Storch

and your Duos are:

Karem-Abdul-Jabbar
Edna O'Brien
Art Rupe

3 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

I thought I was being a smartarse picking Deborah James but it turns out I'm not the only one who reads The S*n in England, fairly confident the oldest guy in the HoL will be a solo shot if he snuffs it though. Some people appear to do a terrifying amount of research tbh.

Worked for me last year.

I was unfortunately one of the excitable members that picked someone already dead, u really should pay more attention.
One thing I meant to ask was I noticed in 2021 DP that people have captains, I don't think I've nominated one

I’d also noticed participants mentioning ‘sub’ selections. Are these for players who submitted their nominations perhaps well before 01/01/22, some of who then pegged it before the start of the New Year and had to be replaced with a back-up substitution?[emoji848]

6 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 1 update

One death this week, former newsreader Gary Burgess: Channel Islands broadcaster Gary Burgess dies aged 46 - BBC News

Too much Dead Pool stuff today for me to add anything else. I don't think I really need to either. 

Burgess was 46 when he died, so he's worth 79 Base Points, plus 25 for the First Shot bonus for a total of 104 points for @Arch Stanton, @Bishop Briggs, @gkneil and @Savage Henry. @Arbroathlegend36-0, @Indale Winton and @Ned Nederlander get a Captain bonus for 183 points, @chomp my root, @sparky88 and @The_Craig get a Vice-Captain bonus for 144 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. Arbroathlegend36-0, Indale Winton, Ned Nederlander 183
4. chomp my root, sparky88, The_Craig 144
7. Arch Stanton, Bishop Briggs, gkneil, Savage Henry 104
11. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet is also now live with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

A text list of everyone's picks has been added to the opening posts of the thread.

Magic. 

I love the deadpool.

20 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

I’d also noticed participants mentioning ‘sub’ selections. Are these for players who submitted their nominations perhaps well before 01/01/22, some of who then pegged it before the start of the New Year and had to be replaced with a back-up substitution?emoji848.png

• If you pick someone who dies in the final days of 2021 it is your responsibility to PM me with a replacement pick. I would suggest including a short list of back-up picks, just in case.

This ended up not actually being the case since I PM'd everyone who had a pick die on them, but a ready-made list of replacements just makes things easier for everyone.

3 hours ago, Lofarl said:

@Duszek picking 3 already dead people is the bold choice that can see you near the bottom of the league.

Ah FFS… knew I should have done a minimum of research. the remaining twelve men and women will just need to stand up (correction, keel over) and be counted.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:47, Miguel Sanchez said:

I know it can be worked out from this but, seeing as I'm shite at excel, can you do a list of slebs and the numbers who have picked them, so as we know solo shots, duos etc?

10 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I know it can be worked out from this but, seeing as I'm shite at excel, can you do a list of slebs and the numbers who have picked them, so as we know solo shots, duos etc?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e8GqwF88AgwIGgq4TTnd4gGDpl0IhLSnAowjkARlRX4/edit#gid=0

The 'Picks' sheet, and, particularly, the 'N' column is exactly what you're after.

Edit: To make it even easier, you can check out your own section of the 'Players' sheet and column J. I might remove it later if it makes the sheet too slow.

Edited by Aim Here

15 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Lucky b*****ds.  Getting your first hit in the dead pool is like losing  your virginity. You tell everyone and you hope for more.

Of the 111 entrants I'd be shocked if 11 have ever gotten their Bob Dole.

15 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Her first Sun column three years ago was called ' Dying is my biggest fear but living with stage 4 cancers means I have to start planning for the inevitable' and her BBC podcast is called 'You, me and the big C'. Feel free to prove me wrong (her Sun columns are listed at https://muckrack.com/deborah-james-1), but isn't she a Sun columnist and a BBC podcaster in order to talk about her illness? Even her current media presence hasn't netted her a wikipedia page yet, to check up on her that way...

Would agree. I considered picking her but further research seemed to confirm that her fame is due to her illness.