The Relegation Run In

I have always expected Peterhead to have a right good go at promotion to the championship over the years but it’s never happened.
You’re always too good for league 2 but bounce between league 1 and 2 a lot. That’s certainly how I remember Peterhead being since they joined the league anyway.
We lost the Championship playoff final to Partick on pens in 2006 and got smashed by Ayr? In the semi final in 2016 I think but that's as close as we've come.

Yeah tomorrow is a big game, especially given that run of games we’ve got coming up following that, tough to see many points being racked up there.

I keep waiting for Alloa to go on a run because their squad looks stronger on paper than the other sides, but not happened yet. 

9 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I have always expected Peterhead to have a right good go at promotion to the championship over the years but it’s never happened.

You’re always too good for league 2 but bounce between league 1 and 2 a lot. That’s certainly how I remember Peterhead being since they joined the league anyway.

We got within 30secs of the Championship the season Partick went up. Arbroath have taken the Championship by storm this season but normally would need to be full time to have a go. Be interesting next season if they go up whether Cove remain part time or go full time.

1 hour ago, peternapper said:

We got within 30secs of the Championship the season Partick went up. Arbroath have taken the Championship by storm this season but normally would need to be full time to have a go. Be interesting next season if they go up whether Cove remain part time or go full time.

It'll depend what PH does. If Cove go p/t and struggle a bit as we did when he was our boss, their inwards and upwards journey may falter. 

2 hours ago, peternapper said:

I only vaguely remember the season of 2006 and the playoff match itself but Peterhead we're extremely close to a promotion that season. Think Gretna were on the rise around that time.

I watched Arbroath mid-week against Hamilton and they were disappointing; 2nd best all over the park and were very lucky to nab a point, it reminded me of the Arbroath of last season. Couple of penalties which were pens but indiscipline from the away side. Hamilton wouldn't run away with L1, far from it.

It was the first time I watched them live this season and clearly this was probably one of their worst performances of the year. All teams have days like that. They got a draw and results even went in their favour extending their lead - could be their year but I'd still be shocked to see them win it. Partick have impressed me most. Went up with a good squad and added well in Kyle Turner, Cammy Smith, Akinola etc. Killie's January recruitment has been impressive but results not quite there.

If we do go up, part time will hinder us as we'd be fishing in a much smaller pool of players than everyone else in that league. Our recruitment would need to be on point with little to no margin for error. Going by previous years we've had a fair few that didn't work out.

I think we have a starting XI that could compete in the Championship as we are today but don't have the strengthen in depth. Where about we'd be is very hard to predict but probably mid-table. We beat QoS 3-0 away and beat ICT 3-1 at home in PS cup. Hard to read into the latter given it's many teams first games in months.

Going FT straight away would be a big risk and would need serious financial outlay. I don't see it happening right off the bat although it would be aggressive and a statement on intent. It's the direction the chairman wants to happen and it's the only real chance of seriously competing in that division long term especially if you have any aspirations of going up. I suspect that we'll try to stabilise as a PT club at least in the first season.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

4 hours ago, laughing gravie said:

If Barry 🖕 Ferguson is still in charge, our strongest team may stay on paper.😱

I agree with @Ignoramus. Alloa should have more than enough to put a run together and distant themselves from 9th place, in my opinion anyway. BF is clearly a thorn in the side of all Wasps fans at the moment and with any semi-competent manager you'd be better placed and looking up.

On 09/02/2022 at 16:55, Blootoon87 said:

Are East Fife doomed already? I'm going to assume Clyde are basically safe and say the battle for 9th is between Peterhead, Alloa and Dumbarton. If we finish 9th we will 100% go down, I think we're on a 0/6 record in the playoffs under McInally

Yeah, McInally's playoff record is a right laugh. Across one with Morton, two with East Stirling and four with Peterhead he's never successfully made it through them, and has only made it beyond the semi final three times.

10 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:
16 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

We lost the Championship playoff final to Partick on pens in 2006 and got smashed by Ayr? In the semi final in 2016 I think but that's as close as we've come.

I remember seeing the highlights of that Partick game now you mention it!

Would say it’s a 5 way scrap for bottom 2 places between East Fife, Dumbarton, Alloa, Peterhead and Clyde. 

Today could be significant as I would say if Clyde win I would think they are safe, and if we beat East Fife I can’t see anyone else finishing 10th. 

Would leave a three way scrap for 9th, and it could be any of the 3 that finish there.

As others have said, Alloa have been due a run, but it just doesn’t look like happening. 

Guessing it will probably come down to who takes points in the games against each other for the 3, which so far has been:

Peterhead - 12 from 15

Alloa - 4 from 15

Dumbarton - 4 from 12

On 10/02/2022 at 14:08, RolandPie said:

I think we (Alloa) will survive - down to the strength of the squad - especially those players from previous regimes. The main danger comes from the manager. My glass is half full for the moment

My glass is now empty...