Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, velo army said:

That's an awful lot of claims without a single source.

I do like that it says that Ukraine produces 75,000 tonnes of bees. It may have meant to say "beer" but I'm now picturing some poor chap having to coral the bees to get them weighed.

E.T.A replying to @Florentine_Pogen, but didn't want to quote the whole thing.

There used to be a sign at the Cambuslang roundabout when you came off the motorway that said ‘Wasps £25’. Not ‘wasps removed’ or ‘wasps destroyed’ just ‘wasps £25’. Always had a vision that some wee guy would come and chuck an angry sounding brown paper bag into your hall and then leg it. 

12 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

It will be really interesting to see if there are mass demonstrations in Moscow, St Peterburg and across Russia this weekend.  Numbers were building last night and I see reports that 1800 arrested.  Should huge numbers take to the streets the police will be powerless and we may see them move to the other side (I am convinced your average policeman or even soldier in Russia is not fully behind Putin's actions) 

I am increasingly confident that he may well be removed from within......just hope it is sooner rather than later.  There were reports this morning of Russians in Kyiv laying down their arms but not sure if they have been confirmed.

John Sweeney the ex BBC reporter is in Kiev and was told the first some of the Russian soldiers knew where they were was when their mobile phones starting going onto Ukrainian networks. They'd been told they were just going on exercises. No idea if this is true but if so I'd imagine they'll get a bit grumpy when bullets start flying about.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, Binos said:

So nothing then

None of us have any information about the impact of cutting energy supplies or fertilisers. Or the knock on effect of sanctioning Chinese companies if they don't observe the sanctions.

Our energy bills are already sky high despite there having been no reduction in supply as yet.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

None of us have any information about the impact of cutting energy supplies or fertilisers. Or the knock on effect of sanctioning Chinese companies if they don't observe the sanctions.

Our energy bills are already sky high despite there having been no reduction in supply as yet.

Supplies of gas have been reduced this winter. With the benefit of hindsight, you could say it was part of the planning for this. At the time it was seen as pressure to approve NS2.

24 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I would what it took to convince Orban. He's Putin's little bitch.

As much as he admires Putin's management style, the legacy of Soviet tanks swarming into Budapest in 1956 still resonates strongly with the Hungarians. 

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Was anyone else slightly confused / taken aback by the bizarre references being made to Kiev last night on BBC News ?

In the space of about 20 mins I heard it pronounced as KEEV, KEEF, KEV, KIEV, KEIF.

Flagrant bias against the glorious Leader of the Opposition.

20 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

There used to be a sign at the Cambuslang roundabout when you came off the motorway that said ‘Wasps £25’. Not ‘wasps removed’ or ‘wasps destroyed’ just ‘wasps £25’. Always had a vision that some wee guy would come and chuck an angry sounding brown paper bag into your hall and then leg it. 

I remember those signs. I think Mike Mulraney took them as a ticket price to aim for.

Baldy Wullie and Stepford Kate announce they "stand with Ukraine".

Huzzah, huzzah, huzzah...............................

"The foreign secretary, Liz Truss, called Moscow “a global pariah”. “Putin’s invasion of Ukraine and violation of the UN charter will have severe consequences,” she said."

Putin will be bricking it now.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I was going to say the same but you got in there first.

He's a typical leftist oppositionalist.

Carps from the sidelines but offers f**k all in terms of solutions.

And shows a strange tendency to support and defend the hard right (and all they embrace) - at least when it comes to UK politics.

8 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Baldy Wullie and Stepford Kate announce they "stand with Ukraine".

Huzzah, huzzah, huzzah...............................

They probably heard that stuff about the Ukrainians being Nazis.

15 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I was going to say the same but you got in there first.

He's a typical leftist oppositionalist.

Carps from the sidelines but offers f**k all in terms of solutions.

Well that puts Detournement in some august company - Biden, Johnson, the EU, the UN and a whole host of others. 

I don't always agree with the guy, but as a bit of a 'leftist' (and WTF is that exactly ?) myself I appreciate his often thought-provoking posts.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

40 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

There was a sign on a lamppost outside Stirling which I saw each time I went past while cycling "Wasps Removed - £15". I took a marker pen and wrote underneath - "Each".