Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Being widely reported that the convoy hasn't moved in a couple of days due to breakdowns/ logistical problems and is being attacked heavily

I put a link up yesterday from yank Intel and here's the mod 

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1499278184407314437?t=1scWx5J7RDyb4F0CArr9bg&s=19

If this is true, we've definitely moved from "inscrutable tactical genius" territory to "you've made an absolute c**t of this, haven't you?"

Surely somebody in the Kremlin's getting shot.

4 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

The polish reaction to all of this makes me think they would be up for some invading Russia  

For the past thirty years, it's probably been in the back of the minds of most former Soviet states that Russia would fancy expansion again at some point, so I'm not really surprised.

"Trent Telenko on Twitter: "This is a thread that will explain the implied poor Russian Army truck maintenance practices based on this photo of a Pantsir-S1 wheeled gun-missile system's right rear pair of tires below & the operational implications during the Ukrainian mud season.[emoji3468] 1/ https://t.co/LmxW43v6gy" / Twitter"

Might partly explain the reason why the convoy is breaking down and not straying off road

Cheers, Vlad's crying.

Posted at 17:38

Second-biggest Russian oil producer calls for end to war

84ca421e-e728-4386-ab6a-d4781af2ddc3.jpg
Getty Images

Russia's second-largest oil producer Lukoil is calling for an end to the conflict in Ukraine.

In a statement on its website, the company said it was concerned by the "tragic events in Ukraine" and supported the negotiations to end the conflict.

Its board called for "the immediate cessation of the armed conflict and fully supports its resolution through the negotiation process and through diplomatic means".

The company is thought to be one of the first major Russian firms to speak out against the invasion.

image.gif

6 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

"Trent Telenko on Twitter: "This is a thread that will explain the implied poor Russian Army truck maintenance practices based on this photo of a Pantsir-S1 wheeled gun-missile system's right rear pair of tires below & the operational implications during the Ukrainian mud season.emoji3468.png 1/ https://t.co/LmxW43v6gy" / Twitter"

Might partly explain the reason why the convoy is breaking down and not straying off road

Also been reported that Russian soldiers have been flat up just abandoning their kit because of lack of fuel and mechanical failures while on the road. At least the Ukrainian tax office don't need to know about it if you take a Russian tank into your posession.

42 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

I don't think the situation is as dire for Putin as others, but we're definitely into sunken cost fallacy now.

Don't think the oligarchs or popular opinion matters too much in the short term, but if he's ignored the advice of the FSB and the military, or tries to put the blame on them, I think he's fucked. He's already sacked his army chief I believe. Only way back for Russia is blaming it all on a mad leader. China will maintain an embarrassed silence. Might have been different if it had been like Georgia.

Edited by welshbairn

46 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Germany adds €100 billion to its defence budget.

They are going to buy American F(f**k yeah)-35s. 

“Our goal is to have one of the most capable, powerful armies in Europe in the course of this decade," underlined Finance Minister Christian Lindner of the business-focused Free Democrats (FDP).

I’m sure nothing can go wrong with Germany building up it’s military capability again.

25 minutes ago, BFTD said:

If this is true, we've definitely moved from "inscrutable tactical genius" territory to "you've made an absolute c**t of this, haven't you?"

Surely somebody in the Kremlin's getting shot.

I was talking to somebody who knows quite a lot about military theory and they were saying that much of the Russian battleplan up until now seems to be too bad to ring true...they're making elementary mistakes that you'd learn not to do in your first week at somewhere like Sandhurst.

Thinking is that possibily either the military are deliberately making a baws of it in order to weaken Putin's position, or else Putin has personally conceived a grand invasion plan which they knew was amateurish and they're carrying it out to the letter knowing it would fail and weaken him.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Don't think the oligarchs or popular opinion matters too much in the short term, but if he's ignored the advice of the FSB and the military, or tries to put the blame on them, I think he's fucked. He's already sacked his army chief I believe. Only way back for Russia is blaming it all on a mad leader. China will maintain an embarrassed silence. Might have been different if it had been like Georgia.

A lot depends on the next week or two I guess.

I was talking to somebody who knows quite a lot about military theory and they were saying that much of the Russian battleplan up until now seems to be too bad to ring true...they're making elementary mistakes that you'd learn not to do in your first week at somewhere like Sandhurst.
Thinking is that possibily either the military are deliberately making a baws of it in order to weaken Putin's position, or else Putin has personally conceived a grand invasion plan which they knew was amateurish and they're carrying it out to the letter knowing it would fail and weaken him.

The whole thing is bizarre tbh. I mean, where's the air force gone? Apparently there's over 300 aircraft at the borders but almost all of them have remained grounded. The tactics on the ground up to now appears to be a shambles, moral is shit, army units are communicating over crappy walkie talkies, and machinery and equipment is falling apart. Starting to think the Russian military might be a bit shit

47 minutes ago, BFTD said:

For the past thirty years, it's probably been in the back of the minds of most former Soviet states that Russia would fancy expansion again at some point, so I'm not really surprised.

Maybe that's why so many applied to join NATO first chance they got?

8 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Starting to think the Russian military might be a bit shit

It doesn't need to be great tbf - any competent army isn't going to go to war with them as they will have the nuclear capability to wipe their country off the map - it's just got enough strength in depth that it will be able to achieve what it needs to.

Are notthepars and mixu still pieandbovrilites, feels odd not having any contributions to the thread from them as its the type of thing theyd usually be making valuable posts in/about? Edit: which id steal and use in conversations to look smarter than i am tbh

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely