Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

She started off talking about her Ukrainian friends she has and how she hopes they are ok, then moved on to justification for what Russia is doing. 

Its the old thing of hating the idea of something rather than the thing its self. Like the idea most closet racists have that we should ban entry to Muslims because they are terrorists. When you ask them if they think people they know that are Muslim are terrorists they say no, they are cool. It's the other ones we should ban. What she was kind of saying was - All the Ukrainians I know, I like, I just don't like the ones that I have never met, or seen, that kill Russian children, that I have no evidence of. 

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing.

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Ukranians aren't Nazis.

It's also true that the Ukranian govt took Nazi militias and absorbed them into state forces and sent them to fight the Russians in 2014.

I mean, given Ukraine has a Jewish president, if they trying to be Nazis they aren't doing very well at it.

1 minute ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I mean, given Ukraine has a Jewish president, if they trying to be Nazis they aren't doing very well at it.

"But he's one of the good ones!"

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Spokesperson on the Today program explained it was a result of the storms and various other things.  Nothing to do with Russia. 

Almost certainly just BA's third world IT melting again.

If it were a cyber attack they would be very quick to get that out there so their 'extraordinary circumstances' defence is set ahead of the deluge of EU261 claims they are about to receive. 

Was anyone else slightly confused / taken aback by the bizarre references being made to Kiev last night on BBC News ?

In the space of about 20 mins I heard it pronounced as KEEV, KEEF, KEV, KIEV, KEIF.

All rather confusing to say the least, can we not all just agree on a name and all call it that instead of trying to score childish political virtue signalling points from each other.....

There's plenty of reports today that the Ukrainians have been taking back territory that was lost early on close to Crimea in the Kherson area which was the area where they had done most poorly so far and is very much part of Putin's "Novorossiya". The Ukrainian military can still easily be resupplied with armaments like stingers and javelins by road through Poland and Romania so a quick knockout blow was what the Russians very much needed.

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Was anyone else slightly confused / taken aback by the bizarre references being made to Kiev last night on BBC News ?

In the space of about 20 mins I heard it pronounced as KEEV, KEEF, KEV, KIEV, KEIF.

All rather confusing to say the least, can we not all just agree on a name and all call it that instead of trying to score childish political virtue signalling points from each other.....

What name shout we “all just agree on”?  The Ukrainian pronunciation? 

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The spelling is Kyiv, pronunciation will vary depending on accents.

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

Kiev because it's already the standard English version. Unless you're Alan McInally, we don't use Munchen or Roma or Praha because that would be fucking mental.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I have always known it as Kiev. As in Chicken.

I'm just pointing out that this is not the only war we lived through in the 21st century or indeed right now. 

And your point is?

Many of us here have opposed wars in the past 40 odd years - I helped organise one of the first protests against the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait and protested against the subsequent First Gulf War.

There's no contradiction in that.

Just because the right thing was not done then is not an argument against action now.

8 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Shades of British newscasters going all Pepe Le Pew as they said “Sharlee Ebdoe”  following that attack, yet still saying “Paris” rather than “ParEE” in the same broadcast.

4 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Shades of British newscasters going all Pepe Le Pew as they said “Sharlee Ebdoe”  following that attack, yet still saying “Paris” rather than “ParEE” in the same broadcast.

A woman I work with went on holiday to Spain and suddenly started calling Madrid MAAH-DAH-REEEED