Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its not something anyone really needs to be immediately thinking about. If your first reaction is ‘i hope Scotland get a bye’ then its just fucked.

I suspect dark humour rather than immediate thought. Can I recommend staying away from the Dead Pool thread?

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

This is clearly not true.

What difference does it really make to Russia? Economically weakens the UK a bit (and to a lesser extent the EU), but not going to have much of an impact overall. Coordination of sanctions is one thing, but we've already seen the EU countries splintering on carve outs; that wouldn't be different with the UK still in the mix. Indeed, the UK's contributions in that particular area have been embarrassing. 

The UK might indeed have been at the top of the EU's table in defense terms, but the UK is still in NATO along with all but 2 or 3 of the EU's members. It's not really going to change anything there 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

What difference does it really make to Russia? Economically weakens the UK a bit (and to a lesser extent the EU), but not going to have much of an impact overall. Coordination of sanctions is one thing, but we've already seen the EU countries splintering on carve outs; that wouldn't be different with the UK still in the mix. Indeed, the UK's contributions in that particular area have been embarrassing. 

The UK might indeed have been at the top of the EU's table in defense terms, but the UK is still in NATO along with all but 2 or 3 of the EU's members. It's not really going to change anything there 

He's obviously hoping for further disintegration of the EU, but small moves in the right direction are always pleasing. I'm sure he has strong hopes for Hungary, and a bit bewildered why Poland won't be pals.

Edited by welshbairn

Reports that some Western intelligence agencies that Ukrainian air defences are effectively eliminated and that Kyiv will fall tonight.

Other reports say that Ukrainian forces have retaken the airport captured by Russian airborne troops.

Who really knows?

8 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I suspect dark humour rather than immediate thought. Can I recommend staying away from the Dead Pool thread?

Hesitate to ask this, but does Ukraine have conscription for elite sportsmen? :whistle:shutup:bag

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

We played through our wars in Yugoslavia and Iraq so why would Ukraine not play?

Whilst it's not the biggest issue, of course, the difference would surely be there is no guarantee Ukraine will exist in 4 weeks time?

Edited by Todd_is_God

33 minutes ago, Michael W said:

There is absolutely *nothing* the FBPE melts won't link to Brexit. What a take on from this whole saga. 

Whisper it: Putin doesn't give a single shit about the UK being in the EU or not. 

I suspect that Putin would have had a chuckle at Brexit because of the bitterness within the EU it has brought out.

Biden reiterating that no US troops will be placed in Ukraine to fight the Russians. NATO just putting 'heavy' sanctions in place. 

I genuinely can't even see what the end game could be here that doesn't escalate even further than it has. I hate seeing the World War 3 rhetoric on social media about it all as surely it can't get to that point, can it?

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Great news for Ukrainians in Kyiv. If you survive the barrage you can go and see Louis CK

30F116AD-02E4-4EC3-AD90-C010C27D58CE.png

TBF if they announce that bombers are over the theater and you’ve got 2 minutes left, he’s one guy that won’t mind you getting one last hand shandy off. 

I just wonder what the endgame here is.

Is it just giving Ukraine a bloody nose then keeping the Eastern territories of Donetsk and Luhansk?

Or does he genuinely think he can occupy the whole country and install a puppet government?

If it is the latter you could see this being a long slog of guerrilla warfare by Ukrainians against the puppet regime - not quite an Afghanistan but certainly bloody.

5 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Biden reiterating that no US troops will be placed in Ukraine to fight the Russians. NATO just putting 'heavy' sanctions in place. 

I genuinely can't even see what the end game could be here that doesn't escalate even further than it has. I hate seeing the World War 3 rhetoric on social media about it all as surely it can't get to that point, can it?

No

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I just wonder what the endgame here is.

Is it just giving Ukraine a bloody nose then keeping the Eastern territories of Donetsk and Luhansk?

Or does he genuinely think he can occupy the whole country and install a puppet government?

If it is the latter you could see this being a long slog of guerrilla warfare by Ukrainians against the puppet regime - not quite an Afghanistan but certainly bloody.

He will push as far west as he thinks he can.

People seem to forget that this has happened within recent memory.

Afghanistan occupied, lots of noises about sanctions etc - in the end very little done. The only way the West will get actively involved militarily is if threats are made against an actual NATO member

I just don't see that happening.