2022 Scottish Local Elections 5th May ** Official Match Thread**

It's amazing how badly the Alba guys don't get it. Independence might be important but it's not the be all and end all. I'm not going to vote for genital inspecting weirdos. I don't care about their views on independence.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

It's amazing how badly the Alba guys don't get it. Independence might be important but it's not the be all and end all. I'm not going to vote for genital inspecting weirdos. I don't care about their views on independence.

I have got past the point of being astounded about how myopic people can be.

Edited by Granny Danger

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Imagine being a member of a website where that's been the main  topic of conversation 

You don't have to be a member to amuse yourself at the batshittery. But I might be.... or I might not be....

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

Can you enlighten me as to why that area would consistently vote that way? Surely the fishermen have seen the light?

No, they won’t have. It’s a generational / small town mentality thing. Historically the boat owners always voted Tory & the crew followed the skipper. Then the family of the crew followed suit. 
My family is from up that neck of the woods, albeit further along the Moray coast & they are Tories to a man. That’s why I don’t communicate with them unless it’s a funeral. I’ll always turn up to see a Tory in the ground. 

Just now, Brother Blades said:

No, they won’t have. It’s a generational / small town mentality thing. Historically the boat owners always voted Tory & the crew followed the skipper. Then the family of the crew followed suit. 
My family is from up that neck of the woods, albeit further along the Moray coast & they are Tories to a man. That’s why I don’t communicate with them unless it’s a funeral. I’ll always turn up to see a Tory in the ground. 

Christ. No doubt it will be the Scottish Government's fault when their careers become worthless.

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

Christ. No doubt it will be the Scottish Government's fault when their careers become worthless.

Oh yes, it will be! The hatred for wee nippy is tangible in every location. The SNP could guarantee them a “double the current price” deal for their fish & they would still vote Tory, they would take the cash right enough & blame the Scottish Government for not paying them in £500 notes! 
It’s really unsettling- my mum, mid 70s lived in Glasgow & Angus her entire life but moved up there  (where her family are from) & within 5 years went from independence supporting left of centre to an out & out Tory. I’m embarrassed. 

2 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'll get shot down for this and it's a bit of a generalisation but that area is 'hoaching with the English ((c) Rikki Fulton) so it's not a huge surprise.

Yes it is. Loads of ex forces folk with good pensions to look after. It doesn't really matter what the nationality is tho, it's up to parties to make a case strong enough to get those folk to vote for them. 

I'm aware of how difficult that is.

31 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

As an aside, does anyone know any decent looking women (or men) in Alba Party? 
I’m 6 pints in & wouldn’t mind getting my genitals inspected at some point this evening.  

Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh? 

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Is she still an Alba member?

I know she was two minutes ago when I checked her Wiki, but this is Tasmina...

She changes parties every five mins. In the past 25 years she’s been a member of the Tories, Labour, SNP and Alba. No doubt she will be a Lib Dem before we know it. 

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Can you enlighten me as to why that area would consistently vote that way? Surely the fishermen have seen the light?

It's a very complicated answer and I may attempt a better one tomorrow, but in brief summary:

deep-seated traditionalism + deference to authority + kinship / family ties + thrawn-ness + veneration of "hard work" + old -fashioned contempt for being seen to take "charity" + no real history of trade unionism + remoteness from metropolitan centres / thinking + robust indivdualism = a Tory vote in Peterhead / Fraserburgh.

when you remember that in the brief post-Brexit Channel scraps in rrecent years, Peterhead boats were prominent in the skirmishes- one "ramming" a French counterpart- a Tory vote is a little more comprehensible.

deference to authority can be seen in the town's MP history. Salmond was the MP from 1987-2010 largely on the basis of a big personal vote. His replacement was a bit lacklustre- she replaced him in 2010 with a 10% drop in the vote. Whiteford benefitted from the Tories choosing a balloon in 2015, but was ousted by the current Tory skidmark in the SNP's disastrous 2017 showing- the nasty little w**k increasing his share of the vote there in 2019 in the "get Brexit done" election when the Tories fell away badly elsewhere in Scotland.

It's an SNP / Tory marginal. Labour have never ever featured here and even the slimy shape-shifting electoral bindweed, the Liberals, have failed to meaningfully insert themsevles between the electoral flagstones here. Unfortunately the Tories have got their hooks in now and will be very hard to shift.

Relevance of second home owning absentee English migrants: zero

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

10 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

It's a very complicated answer and I may attempt a better one tomorrow, but in brief summary:

deep-seated traditionalism + deference to authority + kinship / family ties + thrawn-ness + veneration of "hard work" + old -fashioned contempt for being seen to take "charity" + no real history of trade unionism + remoteness from metropolitan centres / thinking + robust indivdualism = a Tory vote in Peterhead / Fraserburgh.

when you remember that in the brief post-Brexit Channel scraps last summer, Peterhead boats were prominent in the skirmishes- one "ramming" a French counterpart- a Tory vote is a little more comprehensible.

deference to authority can be seen in the town's MP history. Salmond was the MP from 1987-2010 largely on the basis of a big personal vote. His replacement was a bit lacklustre- she replaced him in 2010 with a 10% drop in the vote. Whiteford benefitted from the Tories choosing a balloon in 2015, but was ousted by the current Tory skidmark in the SNP's disastrous 2017 showing- the nasty little w**k increasing his share of the vote there in 2019 in the "get Brexit done" election when the Tories fell away badly elsewhere in Scotland.

It's an SNP / Tory marginal. Labour have never ever featured here and even the slimy shape-shifting electoral bindweed, the Liberals, have failed to meaningfully insert themsevles between the electoral flagsotnes here. Unfortunately the Tories have got their hooks in now and will be very hard to shift.

Relevance of second home owning absentee English migrants: zero

I'd dispute the zero bit but defer to your general point.