The Annexed Goodwillie Thread

8 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

So because you saw fights every weekend it’s okay to act that way? Regardless of who started what and when he had been charged for assault three times prior to raping someone. It’s not ‘boys will be boys’ as desperate as you seem to make it that way. 

This is everything that is wrong with people’s perception of him. He couldn’t have possibly raped someone because he is a young lad out just having fun. 

Of course it’s not ok to act that way but it has absolutely nothing to do with anything in regards to the rape allegations 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

What does that even mean, what does completely intoxicated mean?

The toxicology reports indicated her alcohol levels to be near fatel levels. 

I am almost finished the podcast. I have tried to listen to some of James English podcasts before and have never finished them. His apparent “USP” is that he gets people on who no-one else will have on. His issue is that he actually not that good at actually asking questions which may be awkward so his guests get free rein to come on and put their side of the story without being questioned.

I also found it funny that he said if it has been a criminal court then he wouldn’t have had him on the podcast. Amuses me people think a civil court is not a court. So on one hand, he was crucifying huw edwards before anything was known but then getting goodwillie on to tell his story. 

I will echo what others have said. If he had even shown some form of remorse at the time or even paid his fine then he might have been able to play football in some form. As it is, he hasn’t done any of the above. So f**k him. 

The other issue with the podcast is that a lot of people will listen to it without reading the court stuff and since he had free reign to tell his side of story then it would be easy to fall into the “he is innocent” camp. 

6 minutes ago, Raithie said:

The toxicology reports indicated her alcohol levels to be near fatel levels. 

I did not know this - that changes things for me - that’s very disturbing 

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The typical refrain of a rapist apologist - “I’m not a rapist apologist”.

Grow up man. It’s a discussion

17 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

This is everything that is wrong with people’s perception of him. He couldn’t have possibly raped someone because he is a young lad out just having fun. 

This part of your post hits the nail on the head for a lot of people who have defended him. 

I would go one further for a lot people and I have believed for a long time that people have an issue condemning him because if they condemn him for being a rapist ( which he is), then they may have to apply the same logic/critique to situations that they have been in, their pals have been in, their colleagues have been in etc. Quite frankly a lot of people won’t do that as they may not like what the conclusion is. 

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What does that even mean, what does completely intoxicated mean? You can be completely intoxicated and know what you are doing at the time though yes? Then you wake up the next day trying to piece everything together forgetting many things completely unless or until you are reminded of them 

You can believe what you want but you can’t sit and try and say everyone who doesn’t think as strongly as you do is some kind of rapist apologist 

I’ve even said I think he’s definitely in the wrong but I’m not sure to what extent and you’ve reacted that way 

Also don’t think this is even about a privileged job anymore, nobody wants the guy to be allowed to sign for Glasgow United - whoever they even are?!

I think you best go and read up on the law in regards to "intoxication", even if just for your own benefit. The posts quoting the law seem to have been removed here, possibly because they were in response to that Van Basten roaster.

If someone is questioning the verdict, especially if they've read the transcript, then I'd say it's fair game to call them a rape apologist tbh. 

What does your 3rd paragraph mean? Can you elaborate on how he's in the wrong but unsure as to what extent? 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

So you haven't read the court transcript? 

Nope. Read an awful lot about it but not the transcript itself. I had no idea in regards to the toxicology report and I find that very worrying and disturbing 

19 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Lol wot? Goodwillie has never denied having sex with her. I didn't need to be there. There were plenty of witnesses who said the lassie was completely intoxicated therefore she was in no fit state to give consent. Again, Goodwillie has never claimed not to have had sex with her therefore he's raped her. 

People "react like 19QOS19" when they read the evidence presented to them and have the capacity to see the judge got it spot on. I'm not advocating he receives abuse for the rest of his life (in fact I don't think anyone on her has even suggested such a thing) but there's no way he should be allowed his privileged job back. The same way I'd be calling for a TV presenter/Politician/Film star to never work in their privileged role ever again. 

Aye exactly all of this. When you read all the court transcripts and witness statements of the condition each party was in, and then combine it with the fact that Goodwillie has never denied having sex with her, then it's fucking clear he has raped her. It's worrying to me how many people still don't understand the basic concept of consent and being in a fit state to give it.

And yeah it's very frustrating continually hearing the argument "that he's allowed to earn a living". Yes, of course he is, no one is saying he can't. But there are certain professions and positions within society where it is rightly deemed inappropriate for someone with that history to be employed. Again, I don't understand why folk can't understand that.

What on Earth does "that's just the way things are now" mean?

Was there a time when you could defend a rapist and people would think, "well, that's fair enough, I don't consider you a danger to my female relatives at all"?

Edit: who's Supras these days? His head must be fucking exploding.

Edited by BTFD

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Nope. Read an awful lot about it but not the transcript itself. I had no idea in regards to the toxicology report and I find that very worrying and disturbing 

I'd really encourage you to have a read. The toxicology expert actually works out what her alcohol level would be at certain times throughout the evening/morning - I think by the time she was back at the flat she was at something like 3.5 times over the legal limit to drive. A mute point but another thing not picked up on is the fact the transcript mentions Goodwillie left the flat, went back to Bathgate to get his car and drove back to Stirling, where I'd assume,  was very clearly well over the drink drive limit.

4 minutes ago, AuAl said:

And yeah it's very frustrating continually hearing the argument "that he's allowed to earn a living". Yes, of course he is, no one is saying he can't. But there are certain professions and positions within society where it is rightly deemed inappropriate for someone with that history to be employed. Again, I don't understand why folk can't understand that.

Exactly this. People have muddied the waters by saying things like "There wouldn't be all this fuss if he was a plumber" but dads don't take their young kids to watch a plumber working and have to explain why people are booing him.

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Maybe best you have a wee read of it and perhaps then you'll understand the way I've responded to you. 

18 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I am almost finished the podcast. I have tried to listen to some of James English podcasts before and have never finished them. His apparent “USP” is that he gets people on who no-one else will have on. His issue is that he actually not that good at actually asking questions which may be awkward so his guests get free rein to come on and put their side of the story without being questioned.

I also found it funny that he said if it has been a criminal court then he wouldn’t have had him on the podcast. Amuses me people think a civil court is not a court. So on one hand, he was crucifying huw edwards before anything was known but then getting goodwillie on to tell his story. 

I will echo what others have said. If he had even shown some form of remorse at the time or even paid his fine then he might have been able to play football in some form. As it is, he hasn’t done any of the above. So f**k him. 

The other issue with the podcast is that a lot of people will listen to it without reading the court stuff and since he had free reign to tell his side of story then it would be easy to fall into the “he is innocent” camp. 

English is a fascist. 

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Where did you think people posting against Goodwillie were getting such firm conviction?

The transcript was posted on here!

18 minutes ago, AuAl said:

He already works outside of football and has said as much previously. He also said in the podcast that he would play for free but the extra money would be nice. 

If he is already making a living and said he would play for free then people need to ask themself what he gets out of trying to have a career at any serious level of football outside a game of 5s with his pals. The answer to that question is why he shouldn’t be allowed back in ( as well as the obvious)

Edited by Ocelot1877

Goodwillie also touched upon in the Podcast how he still has that competitive football mindset that he can't shake...but that fans have a field day shouting abuse at him, that he gets hounded in the media and that he has daily suicidal thoughts. Makes no sense to want to willingly put yourself through that for a game of football paid or unpaid. I do feel for his bairns though who will eventually have to have that difficult conversation with their Dad on why kids at school are calling him a beast.