The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Huge favour granted last night, (payback for the 6 points we've gifted Rovers from winnable positions this year?). 

Time to see if we really do have Championship level players, playing under a Championship level manager, regardless of DT playing or not.

There really isn’t any excuse now, last night’s result was huge for us and provides a real opportunity. Continue to perform in the same manner as the previous 3 weeks, then we simply don’t deserve to be in the championship. A win today would be huge considering the next 2 fixtures are against an already relegated Arbroath and a potential 2nd string Airdrie

30 minutes ago, Cyclops van Gogh 1867 said:

Caley crossbars played a blinder last night, hope we can capitalise on that!

Would like to see Charlie Fox back in today with Jack Thomson back in midfield and Jack Turner further forward. 

A return for Dom Thomas would be sublime.

'mon the Spiders ! 🕷️🕸️

We need a win therefore (duh) we need goals.  

We've ostensibly signed an experienced CB in Danny Wilson, who's played at a high level therefore I see no reason why he needs two other CB's beside him especially when one (Thomson) is a midfielder and the other (Robson) is a far better attacking LB.  Statistically, since Davidson has been in place he's shored up the defence, but also stunted somewhat our attacking threat, (DU and Arbroath games somewhat anomalous).  

Would love to see him being a bit more aggressive and go four at the back, which would allow Thomson to return to midfield, put Turner further forward, put Thomas in his best position (in front of Robson) and take some of the pressure off of Longridge at RB.  

Sure he'll stick with the three though.

4 hours ago, QPEast said:

Is Davidson a fraud? 

I don't think he's necessarily a fraud, but we've won 2 of our last 11 games and not scored in our previous 4 which is awful by anybody's standards. The squad is thin but there's more than enough quality there to be doing better than that.

It's hard not to have concerns about pretty much every element of how he does his job, though; team set up/formation, substitutions, and a clear lack of motivation all things I'm fairly seriously worried about.

4 hours ago, QPEast said:

Is Davidson a fraud? 

Jury out for me.

For the defence, the QP team that got so close last year lost its spine (literally).  Murray going allowed defences to get on top of the other two standout front men in Thomas and Savoury who’s was instrumental and who we’ve been unable to replace.  Behind them I thought initially we had a decent replacement for Boateng in midfield in Spong but for whatever reason he left shortly after Davidson arrived.  I don’t think we realised at the time what we lost when we let Kilday go either.  We were (with hindsight) always going to struggle with those players missing. 
He has signed a decent replacement for Spong/Boateng in Welsh and pulled another rabbit out of the hat with Sheridan to at least give Paton some restbite, who, IMHO, we’ve done a disservice to with the lack of service he’s been provided.

That said, we’ve never found a full time right back, and instead of signing one in January, to allow us to play with a RWB, we brought in another left back which has ousted Robson either to CB or the bench. We signed a proven CB but then rather than using him to assist the younger less experienced CB’s to allow the addition of another player either in midfield or attack, we’ve used him in a back three, usually alongside a midfielder. He also seems unwilling to ditch ‘his’ system which has seen a reduction in goals scored and none scored in the last 6 hours of play.  That in itself has not been helped by a belligerence not to play Turner in his best position and a reliance on a very over confident and under performing McKinstry, (though I appreaciate he showed improvement today)

Hes been dealt a shitty hand that much is true but I do worry he might start running out of excuses.  

I’ll reserve my full judgement on Davidson until the end of the season. Davidson joined at a period where I would have been delighted with 9th place, the team was that bad and it still needs serious surgery regardless of what league we’re in next season. An initial immediate upwards trajectory was seen when he was appointed and given the nature of the championship and ability throughout our squad, patches of poor form were still inevitable. It’s just elevated a lot more given the timing it’s came at 

We’ll learn more about Davidson this time next weekend. The biggest game in the pro era against an already relegated side on horrendous form. Fail to win and questions will begin to raise and probably rightly so. I do think there’s still a distinct lack of quality in certain areas of the team and the lack of effective depth has been a consistent issue the entire season. Having to rely on a single player today (Thomas did not look fit to me, felt like he was playing through the injury) to allow a squad to play at a remotely competent level is extremely concerning and cannot continue like that in the new season as it’s simply not sustainable(also losing savoury for all of this season has been massive and it’s on beuker for not replacing him appropriately) The reliance on Thomas has been ridiculous and it’s been shown up badly in recent weeks. Summer recruitment was mental 

Arbroath and hopefully a 2nd string Airdrie side to finish the season off. Take 6 points from this and I think we finish 8th (please)

Edited by qpfc

7 hours ago, qpfc said:

I’ll reserve my full judgement on Davidson until the end of the season. Davidson joined at a period where I would have been delighted with 9th place, the team was that bad and it still needs serious surgery regardless of what league we’re in next season. An initial immediate upwards trajectory was seen when he was appointed and given the nature of the championship and ability throughout our squad, patches of poor form were still inevitable. It’s just elevated a lot more given the timing it’s came at 

We’ll learn more about Davidson this time next weekend. The biggest game in the pro era against an already relegated side on horrendous form. Fail to win and questions will begin to raise and probably rightly so. I do think there’s still a distinct lack of quality in certain areas of the team and the lack of effective depth has been a consistent issue the entire season. Having to rely on a single player today (Thomas did not look fit to me, felt like he was playing through the injury) to allow a squad to play at a remotely competent level is extremely concerning and cannot continue like that in the new season as it’s simply not sustainable(also losing savoury for all of this season has been massive and it’s on beuker for not replacing him appropriately) The reliance on Thomas has been ridiculous and it’s been shown up badly in recent weeks. Summer recruitment was mental 

Arbroath and hopefully a 2nd string Airdrie side to finish the season off. Take 6 points from this and I think we finish 8th (please)

I think you’ll definitely get your wish here. After today it’s pretty unlikely we’ll finish 3rd anyway and I expect like the last couple of seasons that we’ll heavily rotate in the last game. Might not be an entire reserve team but would expect Telfer, Frizzell, Todorov etc to be rested. I’ll still be predicting a 1-1 draw as always though.

16 hours ago, qpfc said:

The biggest game in the pro era against an already relegated side on horrendous form. Fail to win and questions will begin to raise and probably rightly so

A - We played our biggest game of the normal season against Inverness and threw in the towel. 

B - Fail to win and the only question that will be raised is who can we sign for his replacement in League 1? 

That doesn't mean he's a fraud but I really really hate managers who obsessively stick to a single formation regardless of the abilities of the players and call it their philosophy of play. 

I'm 99% sure we'll finish 9th and drop down to the playoffs now. I have no idea how in-form the League 1 teams in the playoffs will be but our trajectory is very depressing. 

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Surely that was the game against Dundee, no?

I'd agree that the Dundee game was bigger, but not as important.  Staying in the Championship now is more essential for the short and longer term than fluking our way into the Premiership last season would have been. Knowing what we do now, it would have been a short party.