The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

28 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Here’s one to ponder. How do we think Veldman would have got on this season if he had Sheridan, Wilson and Welsh (plus McKinstry & Scott) from the start?

Impossible to say as given ‘the project’, Welsh, Wilson and Sheridan would all have been around 10+ years too old to have even been considered. 

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

If a relegation threatened Queens Park was the best job he could get on the back of winning the double then it's hard to see how adding a relegation to his CV and then getting out would result in a better job than Queens Park.

If QP go down it would mean probably Hamilton coming up, meaning League 1 should be shooty-in for a side with QP's budget next season and someone like Paton under contract. It would be a really attractive job and I think he'd be daft to walk away at that point.

Bear in mind he was offered the Dundee job less than a year ago.

I assume he chose Queens Park as he felt it was a side massively underperforming, so he could come in and save them easily, then he'd have a club with a lot of money to spend who are a bit of a shambles and he'd be given free reign to do what he wants signing wise.

There's zero chance Paton stays with Queens Park if they're relegated, I wouldn't be stunned if he moved this Summer even if they stay up.

32 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Here’s one to ponder. How do we think Veldman would have got on this season if he had Sheridan, Wilson and Welsh (plus McKinstry & Scott) from the start?

Doubt Veldman would have the contacts to have had any of the first three on his radar. I am in no doubt that his stubbornness and ridiculous tactics would have had us relegated already. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's zero chance Paton stays with Queens Park if they're relegated, I wouldn't be stunned if he moved this Summer even if they stay up.

You may be right but his contract runs till June '26 so we'll be due a decent fee.

Just now, mcjameos said:

You may be right but his contract runs till June '26 so we'll be due a decent fee.

I'd guess you had to make concessions to get him in the first place, tbh. There was top flight interest.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd guess you had to make concessions to get him in the first place, tbh. There was top flight interest.

Would assume we agreed 3 year contract to benefit from selling him on at a profit. As I recall Ayr and us were the main front runners.

14 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

If a relegation threatened Queens Park was the best job he could get on the back of winning the double then it's hard to see how adding a relegation to his CV and then getting out would result in a better job than Queens Park.

If QP go down it would mean probably Hamilton coming up, meaning League 1 should be shooty-in for a side with QP's budget next season and someone like Paton under contract. It would be a really attractive job and I think he'd be daft to walk away at that point.

We desperately need a period of stability. No manager has had more than one season in the role since we turned pro. It’s no way to operate.

We knew relegation was still an obvious risk when we appointed Davidson and so did he. If it happens, we get on with it. We’ve spent too much time making it up as we go along. We’d also have a full two years of a contract to pay up and we cannot keep doing that. 

27 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

If QP go down it would mean probably Hamilton coming up, meaning League 1 should be shooty-in for a side with QP's budget next season and someone like Paton under contract.

If we go down, I don't think we'll be able to keep half of our current team. 

31 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Will you be returning to Lesser next season? Has any more work been done on the stadium?

I keep checking it every time I go to Hampden Park but I don't see any progress at all. If we stay up, we're 100% at big Hampden. If we go down, who knows? Personally, I dont think it's fit for even League 1 games in its current state. We can't host away crowds. We can barely fit our own regular home crowd in it!

13 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

I reckon Veldman-ball with an experienced (mobile) centre half and midfielder AND no substitutes pre-programmed by Marijn the LSD-computer-chicken has us comfortably in the play-offs... 

And us asleep in the stands watching the dullest football we have ever seen.

1 hour ago, Anonymous Spider said:

I reckon Veldman-ball with an experienced (mobile) centre half and midfielder AND no substitutes pre-programmed by Marijn the LSD-computer-chicken has us comfortably in the play-offs... 

I agree. January basically saw us sign the players that Veldman needed to make his system work.

I was musing the other week about Veldman's substitutions and the fact that, until recently, we'd been very lucky with injuries to key players this season. Probably a coincidence, but who knows?

2 hours ago, QPEast said:

Davidson Ball hardly gets you off your seats tbf. 

He had to make us more solid. Defending has been far from Franco Baresi, but we don’t look like we’re going to lose a goal every time the opposition crosses the halfway line either. We’re going to need a big turnover of players, regardless of what league we’re playing in. Too many guys who are just “ok” on their day. 

OK I'm gonna stop youse right there with the "what-if-we-kept-Veldman?" fantasy 😂

Veldman failed not because he was given an allegedly weak and inexperienced team to manage but because he was a horrible manager and he lost the confidence of his players with his incompetence & non-sensical tactics. He refused to learn from his mistakes, could not stand criticism, and always blamed the players. He has been recently signed by a Belgian Second Tier team and is averaging 0.75 points per game (1 win and 3 losses in 4 games), almost exactly the same average with us. 

His appointment was and will forever be a terrible mistake regardless of the squad he was given, so please don't go down that road because it leads to a place where you'll find yourself walking the entire length of the Excelsior Stadium side by side with Will Tizzard and tears in your eyes on a dreich October night. 

There's no what-if-we-kept-Veldman? fantasy. Results were terrible, he had to go. Doesn't change the fact that Davidson's currently doing no better a job with a stronger squad.

Veldman is currently on a temporary contract with Club NXT which is the youth section of Club Brugge. Apart from his spell with QP his career has basically been in youth football as was that of Beuker. Handing over complete control of a senior football club to these two was in hindsight a huge mistake. If they had been in charge of our youth setup then in the long term that might have been a good move but we'll never know now!

37 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

OK I'm gonna stop youse right there with the "what-if-we-kept-Veldman?" fantasy 😂

Veldman failed not because he was given an allegedly weak and inexperienced team to manage but because he was a horrible manager and he lost the confidence of his players with his incompetence & non-sensical tactics. He refused to learn from his mistakes, could not stand criticism, and always blamed the players. He has been recently signed by a Belgian Second Tier team and is averaging 0.75 points per game (1 win and 3 losses in 4 games), almost exactly the same average with us. 

His appointment was and will forever be a terrible mistake regardless of the squad he was given, so please don't go down that road because it leads to a place where you'll find yourself walking the entire length of the Excelsior Stadium side by side with Will Tizzard and tears in your eyes on a dreich October night. 

Oh no, here we go again 🙈🙉

😅