The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

I don't think anyone sees this as an ideal solution, but I assume those who think we should be forced to play our games at Lesser Hampden would be happy when they can't get a ticket to see their team play there. 

I would far rather we were playing at Lesser with a decent capacity but given the situation we are in, I think the current arrangement is as good as could realistically be achieved.

16 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

To be honest this is full bullshit.

If Lesser is OK for games before September, it should be used all season. It sets a shite precedent that 'renting' big stadiums is OK if you want to increase a crowd. If QP get through the league cup and draw one of the Bigot Brothers at home they will get a massive pay day which is fully unfair (50k crowd at £20 a ticket is 1 million pounds)

Next time the Rovers draw one of the Bigots at home in the cup, shall we just 'rent' Hampden (or better yet, Celtic park) for the day and cash in 50/60k ticket sales? 

Does this mean if QP ever get to the premier league they have the option of doing this every big game they want? 

I like watching the Rovers play at Hampden, and living in Battlefield, I am glad that QP will be playing in Mount Florida. I was also gutted that I might miss out on getting a ticket for Lesser due to capacity, too. So getting to the games next year is something I am grateful for.

But QP are no longer an amateur, 4th tier side. They are ambitious, with big money backers and trying to get promoted to the premier league. To me they should not be treated in 'cuddly' fashion and I would hope Championship/League 1 and (any team that can be relegated from the top flight - so 10/12) should be against this. And making sure it doesn't become a habit.

We can't get away from the fact that the stadium build has been a shambles.  That's an entirely separate matter though. The attempt to label the arrangements for next season as unfair to other clubs in the league is nonsense.  For as long as I can remember clubs have made commercial deals to ensure they have a suitable ground to play at, whether that is ground-sharing, renting council facilities, temporary stands or whatever. What you are suggesting is that because we have made such a mess of things, we shouldn't be allowed to make such an arrangement. Clyde have had their ground problems for a number of years, but I don't see a problem with them renting Hamilton and ensuring a ground that is big enough for whatever opposition they have. The rules are clear.

I'm pretty happy with the plans. Worst case was another season away from the southside and losing the chance to grow the fanbase.  Having said that I grew quite fond of Ochilview. 

Just now, Velvet Donkey said:

We can't get away from the fact that the stadium build has been a shambles.  That's an entirely separate matter though. The attempt to label the arrangements for next season as unfair to other clubs in the league is nonsense.  For as long as I can remember clubs have made commercial deals to ensure they have a suitable ground to play at, whether that is ground-sharing, renting council facilities, temporary stands or whatever. What you are suggesting is that because we have made such a mess of things, we shouldn't be allowed to make such an arrangement. Clyde have had their ground problems for a number of years, but I don't see a problem with them renting Hamilton and ensuring a ground that is big enough for whatever opposition they have. The rules are clear.

I'm pretty happy with the plans. Worst case was another season away from the southside and losing the chance to grow the fanbase.  Having said that I grew quite fond of Ochilview. 

But which of those teams are moving to a much larger, rented, ground? Especially as it's only happening once cup draws against bigger teams, and attendent larger gate reciepts become a distinct possibility?

3 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Have you seriously just compared homeless Clyde playing at half a stadium to you guys getting Hampden when Lesser is ready and supposedly fine?! FFS get a grip

2 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

If Lesser is OK for games before September, it should be used all season. It sets a shite precedent that 'renting' big stadiums is OK if you want to increase a crowd. If QP get through the league cup and draw one of the Bigot Brothers at home they will get a massive pay day which is fully unfair (50k crowd at £20 a ticket is 1 million pounds)

Next time the Rovers draw one of the Bigots at home in the cup, shall we just 'rent' Hampden (or better yet, Celtic park) for the day and cash in 50/60k ticket sales? 

Does this mean if QP ever get to the premier league they have the option of doing this every big game they want? 

I like watching the Rovers play at Hampden, and living in Battlefield, I am glad that QP will be playing in Mount Florida. I was also gutted that I might miss out on getting a ticket for Lesser due to capacity, too. So getting to the games next year is something I am grateful for.

But QP are no longer an amateur, 4th tier side. They are ambitious, with big money backers and trying to get promoted to the premier league. To me they should not be treated in 'cuddly' fashion and I would hope Championship/League 1 and (any team that can be relegated from the top flight - so 10/12) should be against this. And making sure it doesn't become a habit.

Queen's Park's case is unique, though. They're renting a ground that was their home for 99%+ of their history. I see absolutely no problem with this at all. Indeed, I hope it becomes a permanent arrangement. 

Edited by Black_and_White_Stripes

1 minute ago, Zanetti said:

Out of curiosity, how would the supporters of other teams who are upset about this feel if we moved back in to Hampden permanently?

Honestly fine, as you'd then have consistency.

1 minute ago, Peil said:

But which of those teams are moving to a much larger, rented, ground? Especially as it's only happening once cup draws against bigger teams, and attendent larger gate reciepts become a distinct possibility?

What's the problem if they do? Clubs have to make arrangements for whatever league and scenario they anticipate.   We got agreement for a couple of games at Hampden last season, and I took those as a special arrangement as our registered ground wasn't available.  If you suggesting that we would  re-register on a game-by-game basis according to how lucrative the gate was, then I'd agree that's unfair?

Just now, Peil said:

Honestly fine, as you'd then have consistency.

Fair enough I suppose.

For what it's worth, I'd have absolutely no issue with Raith or whoever else temporarily moving in to a much larger stadium for any reason at all. They're very welcome to try.

We all know that will never happen though as the circumstances are totally different. Hampden was our home for well over a century.

7 minutes ago, Kev said:

Have you seriously just compared homeless Clyde playing at half a stadium to you guys getting Hampden when Lesser is ready and supposedly fine?! FFS get a grip

As I said, whether we have a ground, or half a ground, or no ground is entirely irrelevant.

QP’s games at Lesser pre-September an absolute shoo-in to be against ICT and Arbroath where capacity won’t be an issue, with Partick Thistle or Dundee United conveniently being the visitors for the big Hampden homecoming. 

BA90E7F2-E1BE-4353-A042-F34385ECF94D.jpeg.97104f9221dd25a9ef8a7339be7db2be.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

I get that point, I think the bit that grates is that the move is after already playing games up to September in your already clearly fit for purpose, but tiny, ground. If this move was from the beginning of the season and every home game is played at Hampden, there would likely be no issue. 

9 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Based on nothing but pure fantasy, I think we will reach an agreement with the SFA, register "Hampden Complex" as our home ground, play the first few games at Hampden and move on to Lesser permanently as soon as it's ready and up to regulation. I don't see us playing elsewhere this season. It's just not possible. 

Well, turns out it wasn't a fantasy (sort of) at all haha

1 hour ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Well said.

The absolute nerve of some of these diddies complaining about it as well as if they've gotten a raw deal. They've had their cake and ate it too.

49 minutes ago, ScottishLoon said:

Hope they have a better understanding of how to look after the pitch after how it was a few months ago without even having a team play there consistently.

Pitch is being renovated tbf

8 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I get that point, I think the bit that grates is that the move is after already playing games up to September in your already clearly fit for purpose, but tiny, ground. If this move was from the beginning of the season and every home game is played at Hampden, there would likely be no issue. 

Fair enough. If there really really is such a sense of unfairness over maybe two league games and a few Lorne Sausage cup fixtures, then just make it the full season.

9 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Based on nothing but pure fantasy, I think we will reach an agreement with the SFA, register "Hampden Complex" as our home ground, play the first few games at Hampden and move on to Lesser permanently as soon as it's ready and up to regulation. I don't see us playing elsewhere this season. It's just not possible. 

Mmm. Lucky guess or inside knowledge? 

56 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I and others were shouted down by some very angry Queens fans when we tried to make the same point last season.

And would your plan to level out the unfairness extend to other clubs who have a bigger ground or would you restrict this to Queen's Park?