Scotland v Armenia

I'm a big Hanley fan, but starting to wonder if Hendry offers a bit more in the middle in games where we want to dominate the ball (ie every game in this group except Ukraine "away"). There's a very un-Scottish poise and elegance to him even if he has the odd dodgy moment.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm a big Hanley fan, but starting to wonder if Hendry offers a bit more in the middle in games where we want to dominate the ball (ie every game in this group except Ukraine "away"). There's a very un-Scottish poise and elegance to him even if he has the odd dodgy moment.

He feels like a natural fit for this side now. Plays on the front foot and is very intense in trying to nick the ball and play forward, but is also capable of playing deep and clearing it away. Feels strange to say it but i feel more comfortable with him there at this point. 

Edited by Fratelli

I’d rather see Hanley for the Ireland games to be honest. Their one method of attack is firing the ball at Duffy or Egan’s head at set pieces. I’d fancy Hanley to have more joy with that than Hendry.

6 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

And what if the games vs Ukraine have equal results?

1-1 draws or 1-0 wins for the home team?

Is Away Goals still a tiebreaker or is that scrapped too?

Fair point. Guessing it would be the usual case of GD > GS > Away GS

4 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

He feels like a natural fit for this side now. Plays on the front foot and is very intense in trying to nick the ball and play forward, but is also capable of playing deep and clearing it away. Feels strange to say it but i feel more comfortable with him there at this point. 

maybe , but Souttar was good !

1 minute ago, Fratelli said:

He feels like a natural fit for this side now. Plays on the front foot and very intense in trying to nick the ball and play forward, but is also capable of playing deep and clearing it away. Feels strange to say it but i feel more comfortable with him there at this point. 

We should never be playing defenders that have been getting an utter roasting every week, all season, for their clubs.

By playing Hanley, McTominay and Cooper against Ukraine we picked three of them.

McKenna and Hendry should have started the last match.

5 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

If we had drawn them out to the wings then Hendry should have been going at the centre , of their set up / defense

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We should never be playing defenders that have been getting an utter roasting every week, all season, for their clubs.

By playing Hanley, McTominay and Cooper against Ukraine we picked three of them.

McKenna and Hendry should have started the last match.

McTominay is not a defender. Maybe MacKenna should have started at LCB but he had the championship final just before

24 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

If you are being honest we were brutal.

A comfortable win but when we outclass the opposition like that we didn't even try to push for more. Armenia had everyone behind the ball for the whole 2nd half.

Christie and Adams did nothing. McGinn was only interested in shooting in the 2nd half. McGregor managing the game.

So tell me ...how are things on Mars these days?

5 minutes ago, Ewan8472 said:

McTominay is not a defender. Maybe MacKenna should have started at LCB but he had the championship final just before

I know he isn't but he can't even hack it as a midfielder for his club which is why Manchester United fans are currently constructing a giant trebuchet to fire him out of the Salford area.

About what I was expecting; much better tactics, and just the same old problem of being unable to score, even when we had plenty of decent chances. We did more than enough and it was comfortable, but I'd have been much happier if we'd picked up a third at some point in the second half. Armenia were definitely more 0-9 to Norway than 1-0 to Ireland tonight.

Re: Adams, I think he's very good, but he's never going to do everything on his own and he's much more likely to create chances for others than score himself. He's much better at the job than Kenny Miller or Steven Fletcher ever were, although Miller was more of a goalscorer.

21 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Game was over by HT. Going through the motions 2nd half with one eye on the weekend. Don't think anyone who isn't a stick on starter did enough to push themselves into that category, but Ralston and McKenna surely cemented themselves as the back ups for Patterson and Tierney. Souttar strengthened his case also.

McKenna and Souttar should keep their places. Hanley a tactical replacement for Saturday

37 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Agree - if he wants to have a good look at the boy at least give him 20 mins especially when the games been finished as a contest for a while.

What's he going to learn about him in 20 minutes against a diddy team in a match which, as you say, was no longer competitive? He'll see him for about 3 weeks in training against far better players and has been able to see him all season if he wanted.

Half the posts on here seem to be complaining that we didn't score more, and the other half that we didn't bring on (inferior) substitutes earlier to 'give them a shot', 'have a look at them' etc.

It's the Scottish National Team, I don't agree that we should be chucking guys on for the sake of it, you play your best team until there is an actual reason to change it.

On 07/06/2022 at 14:43, velo army said:

Going to just head down for it as I managed to get a seat on the NETA bus. 

I'm just hopeful that the boy who was next to me at the Ukraine game didn't buy the 4 game deal. He had a fucking bugle (no euphemism, a literal, actual wee trumpet) and would blow it in lieu of any shouted or clapped encouragement. He seemed like a decent sort, but the blowing of a trumpet when there's people right next to you who are 1. not doing that and 2. not wearing ear protectors is the very worst of behaviour.

Anyway, a tired 1-0 to us, with Robbo falling asleep against the front post every time we defend a corner.

C’mon, put us out of our misery. Did bugle boy turn up? Details and pics please. 

3 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Ralston and McKenna keep their places for Saturday. 

Ralston was MOTM. 

Je ne sais pas !

I think it will be Nathan or SOD on Saturday , but Ralston was v. good.

Great goal , and he beat his man a couple of times

Just now, Diamonds are Forever said:

What's he going to learn about him in 20 minutes against a diddy team in a match which, as you say, was no longer competitive? He'll see him for about 3 weeks in training against far better players and has been able to see him all season if he wanted.

Half the posts on here seem to be complaining that we didn't score more, and the other half that we didn't bring on (inferior) substitutes earlier to 'give them a shot', 'have a look at them' etc.

It's the Scottish National Team, I don't agree that we should be chucking guys on for the sake of it, you play your best team until there is an actual reason to change it.

That we have 2 away games in the next 6 days and there is no point having McGinn and McGregor out there strolling around. They are both going to start the next 2 games and be important players.

Same for Robertson.

Ralston was brilliant tonight and MOTM but there was a much better attitude from the entire team tonight. More positive play and great pressing. Still not overly convinced by Adams as a lone striker and would have liked to see Stewart or Brown on earlier. I've seen a few people say we should have pushed for more but with the games coming quickly and players having played almost non stop for 2 years we were right to go into game management mode in the second half. Anytime Armenia threatened to come back into it we responded with a solid 10 minutes of positive pressure which was really encouraging.