The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Have we attempted to seek out investment? One of my best friends bought Sunderland with investment, sold it and has now bought Charlton with American backing. It’s not impossible to do. I will happily connect our Board to him if they want to learn about what he has done. I don’t just accept it can’t be done. 

One of your best friends is Charlie Methven?

See when people talk of investment, what do they really mean?

Surely, investment usually involves putting money into something in order to be able to make more money on it later.  I fail to see how that's any sort of viable prospect for anyone with us, or a side of around our size/level.  

If we'd just like someone to give us money, then fair enough.  Again though, it doesn't strike me as that likely, because it's hard to make it sound appealing for anyone.

I'd be wary about being too open to any passing chancers.  Did we not have some interest from a consortium down South a few years back, that sounded like a bad idea?

5 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Have we attempted to seek out investment? One of my best friends bought Sunderland with investment, sold it and has now bought Charlton with American backing. It’s not impossible to do. I will happily connect our Board to him if they want to learn about what he has done. I don’t just accept it can’t be done. 

Was he the one in the Sunderland documentary? 

2 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

One of the problems Queens have is the spread of shareholdings.  There are 150,000 shares spread between around 1,000 shareholders.  The vast majority are fans who bought small amounts of shares when the Club was in financial trouble a few years back.  

According to the last statement on Companies House (former chairman) Davie Rae is the biggest shareholder, with around 24%.  It is quite hard to look at the rest of the ownership as the list is very long and not quite in alphabetical order.  I think Billy Hewitson is second biggest with around 6%.   There are a number of other reasonable sized shareholding so a takeover is problematic regardless of who wants to take over.

It also doesn't help that the relationship between the Board and the Supporters Trust is very poor.

I thought he sold his shares to Hewitson?  I looked on company house and couldn't see Davie Rae listed 

2 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Was he the one in the Sunderland documentary? 

Aye, that's your boy.  I seem to recall he left Sunderland under a bit of a cloud and was as toxic to many Sunderland fans as Hewitson is to some Queens supporters.

Early days for him at Charlton, but they are presently languishing in their lowest league position - ever.

51 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Think we are doing quite well on that one are we not ?

Our community work is something that we are indeed doing well.  You rarely hear news about anything happening on the commercial front though, as someone pointed out on here earlier this week. 

I'm not suggesting for one moment that anything underhand took place but it strikes me as being a trifle unfortunate that the shirt sponsorship draw has been won by businesses owned by club directors three times in the last 20 years.  The shirt draw has served us well in it's time, but maybe actively seeking a shirt sponsor directly rather than asking businesses to participate in an annual lottery in the current economic climate may be a better option?

2 hours ago, Kunter said:

I thought he sold his shares to Hewitson?  I looked on company house and couldn't see Davie Rae listed 

The latest confirmation statement shows 2 shareholdings under the name of David Rae, one for 10 shares, the other for 36,233 shares. 

3 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Not a great recommendation. They have been a basket case for years and massively underachieved because they have had no stability off the field.

If you see the work he did to sort out the state they were left you would be seriously impressed. They laid the groundwork for the better days ahead and found them very competent new owners. 

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Aye, that's your boy.  I seem to recall he left Sunderland under a bit of a cloud and was as toxic to many Sunderland fans as Hewitson is to some Queens supporters.

Early days for him at Charlton, but they are presently languishing in their lowest league position - ever.

Our community work is something that we are indeed doing well.  You rarely hear news about anything happening on the commercial front though, as someone pointed out on here earlier this week. 

I'm not suggesting for one moment that anything underhand took place but it strikes me as being a trifle unfortunate that the shirt sponsorship draw has been won by businesses owned by club directors three times in the last 20 years.  The shirt draw has served us well in it's time, but maybe actively seeking a shirt sponsor directly rather than asking businesses to participate in an annual lottery in the current economic climate may be a better option?

Charlie was never viewed other than well by the support when I attended a match with him. Top guy with brilliant football knowledge and did a fantastic job that IMHO he never got the credit or financial reward he really deserved. 

Yes tough times at Charlton. I would have thought Michael Appleton would have done better. Early days though. 

I had Charlie at the Airdrie home game last year and he really enjoyed standing on the Portland Road terracing and seeing Gav score. He had nothing but good things to say about his experience. Super nice guy

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Were you in a box or in the crowd? 

Crowd and at 500 person fan event at the Roker hotel the night before. He was massively unlucky as they lost with a last minute goal to Portsmouth in the playoff final that year. Supporters lionised him and we kept getting stopped for selfies in the pub before the game. 

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

See when people talk of investment, what do they really mean?

Surely, investment usually involves putting money into something in order to be able to make more money on it later.  I fail to see how that's any sort of viable prospect for anyone with us, or a side of around our size/level.  

If we'd just like someone to give us money, then fair enough.  Again though, it doesn't strike me as that likely, because it's hard to make it sound appealing for anyone.

I'd be wary about being too open to any passing chancers.  Did we not have some interest from a consortium down South a few years back, that sounded like a bad idea?

This is why it is  very difficult to get investment. 

We can't even get a local firm to sponsor.us hence the shirt draw 

What you really need is  someone who has a huge amount of spare  cash who wants to own a football club not expecting to get money back sadly not many of those folk around .

Somehow Carlisle have done it is not impossible but very difficult .

4 hours ago, Kunter said:

The list of shareholders is tricky to navigate as it is so big and not quite in alphabetical order but the last one filed does show Davie Rae holding 36,233 shares (page 44 of the first document on the list).  

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH FOOTBALL CLUB, LIMITED filing history - Find and update company information - GOV.UK (company-information.service.gov.uk)

53 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

This is why it is  very difficult to get investment. 

We can't even get a local firm to sponsor.us hence the shirt draw 

What you really need is  someone who has a huge amount of spare  cash who wants to own a football club not expecting to get money back sadly not many of those folk around .

Somehow Carlisle have done it is not impossible but very difficult .

No local company is going to spend £80,000 ( what the draw usually makes ) a season to sponsor Queens ffs. The shirt draw is a great idea and very successful.  

1 hour ago, HighlandQueen said:

Crowd and at 500 person fan event at the Roker hotel the night before. He was massively unlucky as they lost with a last minute goal to Portsmouth in the playoff final that year. Supporters lionised him and we kept getting stopped for selfies in the pub before the game. 

Didn't he refer to some of the Sunderland supporters as "parasites" and say that northerners had no business acumen?

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/you-wont-be-missed-sunderland-fans-delighted-as-charlie-methven-finally-exits-stadium-of-light-3740639

Edited by Slipmat
to add link

7 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

No local company is going to spend £80,000 ( what the draw usually makes ) a season to sponsor Queens ffs. The shirt draw is a great idea and very successful.  

Did it not attract a record number of entries last season or this? Businesses and individuals must think it's wothwhile even in the current financial climate. If so, well done to those that participated and to the Club's Commercial Dep't.

19 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Didn't he refer to some of the Sunderland supporters as "parasites" and say that northerners had no business acumen?

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/you-wont-be-missed-sunderland-fans-delighted-as-charlie-methven-finally-exits-stadium-of-light-3740639

To be fair it did go a bit Pete Tong in the latter days!!!!

11 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

The "investment" you're talking about was sunderlands own premier league parachute payments he used to buy the club and the £10 million "investment" he tried to claim he secured for the club turned out to be a loan with a high repayment percentage. You don't have a clue.