The Queen of the South thread

Killie going PT was just before my time but it seemed like a mistake, and one which took two decades to recover from. Is most posters' biggest reservation the geographical one ie not having access to the pool of PT players in the central belt?

Could a case not be made for being the biggest PT club in an area covering, say, D&G, Borders, Cumbria and Northumbria potentially having a pool of decent PT players; with Queens league status being more appealing than that of the likes of Gateshead, Spennymoor, South Shields, even if the crowds (and possibly the wages on offer) are roughly comparable. I dunno, it seems conceivable though.

Being the smallest FT club in Scotland doesn't seem to be working right now, for sure.

37 minutes ago, StuartA said:

Apathy is much more damaging than anger.  You've got a decent support and no other major clubs nearby (sorry Annan) so I would've thought a good candidate for fans' involvement.  Lots of different ways to do it, but needs a few folk to come up with a plan and put the work in - and set aside egos.

1 Queens have a huge asset in real estate.

2 you know f**k all. 

3 hours ago, StuartA said:

Apathy is much more damaging than anger.  You've got a decent support and no other major clubs nearby (sorry Annan) so I would've thought a good candidate for fans' involvement.  Lots of different ways to do it, but needs a few folk to come up with a plan and put the work in - and set aside egos.

2 hours ago, annan4eva said:

1 Queens have a huge asset in real estate.

2 you know f**k all. 

@annan4eva ... I think that's being harsh on @StuartA the Falkirk fan on here.  I think he was only joining the debate and making suggestions, I've no issue with that.

As for the fan rep idea, I don't know if it would make a vast difference, but I'm in favour of it.  I could never really understand the opposition to the notion on here.

I'd love Queens to be fan owned, but if it ever came to pass, I'd be nervous as Hell about it.  Our fan base is not large.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Killie going PT was just before my time but it seemed like a mistake, and one which took two decades to recover from. Is most posters' biggest reservation the geographical one ie not having access to the pool of PT players in the central belt?

Could a case not be made for being the biggest PT club in an area covering, say, D&G, Borders, Cumbria and Northumbria potentially having a pool of decent PT players; with Queens league status being more appealing than that of the likes of Gateshead, Spennymoor, South Shields, even if the crowds (and possibly the wages on offer) are roughly comparable. I dunno, it seems conceivable though.

Being the smallest FT club in Scotland doesn't seem to be working right now, for sure.

I actually wasn't aware that Killie had ever been PT - is that so?

Queens have always been aware of the geographical issues and hence over the years we have often based our training in the central belt and currently train at Hamilton.  This enables us to attract central belt based players.  So no, I don't believe that geography has been the issue.

I'm a bit long in the tooth these days and for me often the best solutions are not simply black or white but shades of grey in the middle.  So I think a hybrid model with some good FT and some good PT players would be our best strategy.  When we got promoted to the second tier in 2002 we were (I think) PT then and our manager (John Connolly, ex St Johnstone winger) did indeed recruit PT players from the NE of England, so that is a route we have tried, although not very successfully but with the odd exception (eg Peter Weatherson).  But yes, that is still a market that's worth looking at.

If we have an attraction, it may be that we are clearly the largest of the clubs and the largest town in the south of Scotland (I'm obviously excluding Ayrshire here) and that we don't have to compete really for our fan base (apart from the sad OF issue that afflicts all of our country of course).  This means that when we do put a decent team on the pitch we usually can start to attract in some floating fans, but sadly the type of fare we've been showing the last few seasons just won't do it.  For me I don't see why Queens in the south of the country can't be the equivalent of say an ICT up in the Highlands - I'm excluding Ross County for obvious reasons (£££££).

3 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

there is harm in looking. You could end up with a complete charlatan like this:

https://www.si.com/soccer/sunderland/opinion/sunderland-why-charlton-fans-should-be-very-worried-about-charlie-methven-takeover

But despite all of that, deep down the supporters still loved him.  Apparently.

He makes Hewitson seem like Tony Bloom in comparison.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As for the fan rep idea, I don't know if it would make a vast difference, but I'm in favour of it.  I could never really understand the opposition to the notion on here.

I'd love Queens to be fan owned, but if it ever came to pass, I'd be nervous as Hell about it.  Our fan base is not large.

Yeah, the fan rep idea would/should be good to have so that fan suggestions/concerns are properly aired at BOD level.  I guess that most BODs/Chairmen are reluctant though because of the potential leakage of "sensitive commercial" information outwith the club.  However, that sort of thing should be manageable with adequate vetting of the candidate, although a level of trust/good sense would be required which won't sit easy with some Chairmen types.

True, our fan base is not large but it is potentially decent in terms of our overall leagues, although granted we do tend to have a significant "fair weather" support outside of the core.

I said in a post above that I don't see why in the south Queens can't be the equivalent of say an ICT in the north.  I also believe that it's good for the game north of the border to have a good geographical representation across the country.  We are not a country like England where there are dozens of towns with >100k population, so our model has to be somewhat different.

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

The Connolly North of England experiment wasn’t a roaring success. 

7 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Who says they are. I see no indication of it unless you know differently

I don't. But I'm not the one criticising others without knowing ALL the facts. 

1 minute ago, HighlandQueen said:

Nothing. Just don’t like to see a thoroughly decent mate of mine being downed by people that have never met him or know ALL the facts. 

I would have been more convinced if you'd put "facts" in capitals. 

Presumably your decent mate has taken legal action against all this false reporting?

12 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

The Connolly North of England experiment wasn’t a roaring success. 

It maybe didn't produce all that many Superstars but it did get us out of the lower tiers of Scottish football for the first time in years and lay the foundations for the longest run at the "higher levels" in my (not short) lifetime. Of course, going full-time also helped, to do the same again would mean taking a step "backwards" to part-time football first 

4 hours ago, annan4eva said:

Good for you.

Each to their own.  For me a big plus for P&B instead of purely club boards is that it's a forum where you can get opinions and inputs from fans of other clubs as well as your own - it's good to get a view from a different perspective now and again, and that's what @StuartA was doing, so fine with me.

Also nothing wrong with a wee wind up and banter now and again! 😎