The Queen of the South thread

If the last 6 games had been the first 6 of the season, Dundee U would be top on 16 points followed by Morton on 13.

The bottom 3 would be Dumbarton 8th on 5 points, we'd be 9th on 2 points followed by St.Mirren on 1.

Edited by Flash

On a (much) cheerier note - and apologies if it's been mentioned before - the new QoS Hall of Fame 2017 Charity Calendar is out and about. Another great production and a snip at £7.30180307334_e1cf4cf1cb_m.jpg

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

I did say, though, we have a big December coming up and if we dont get some results against the bottom three clubs we could very well be dragged into that bottom group.

Im pretty confident that wont happen though.

Genuine question:

What do you base this confidence on? 

Genuine question:

1 goal and 2 points from the last 6 league games of course! Tbh i think we will pull away from these three teams comfortably, but whether we can keep pace with the teams above us is a different story. Morton are surprising me so far but hopefully there bubble will burst soon.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Genuine question:

A few things, I guess.

We wont play teams of the quality of United every week and while we lost to Ayr and Raith, there was little in it and we could easily have taken 4 or 6 points from those games. The injuries are starting to ease, we've looked far better with Jacobs back in midfield and I thought we looked better up front with Lyle, even though he obviously wasnt fully fit. His hold up and link up play is way ahead of anyone else in the squad. Hamill should be back in the side next week, we've really missed his delivery from wide areas, which was a big feature of our early season form. We, should, also see Carmichael in the side soon which will give us another attacking dimension, a bit more pace in the side and a more natural wide player than we currently have.

At some point, Dobbie will find his scoring touch again ... hopefully!

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

A few things, I guess.

We wont play teams of the quality of United every week and while we lost to Ayr and Raith, there was little in it and we could easily have taken 4 or 6 points from those games. The injuries are starting to ease, we've looked far better with Jacobs back in midfield and I thought we looked better up front with Lyle, even though he obviously wasnt fully fit. His hold up and link up play is way ahead of anyone else in the squad. Hamill should be back in the side next week, we've really missed his delivery from wide areas, which was a big feature of our early season form. We, should, also see Carmichael in the side soon which will give us another attacking dimension, a bit more pace in the side and a more natural wide player than we currently have.

At some point, Dobbie will find his scoring touch again ... hopefully!

Yes, fair enough.

Carmichael hopefully makes a difference and it's hard to believe that someone with Dobbie's talent can stay this ineffective in perpetuity.

I really do think that him apart, we're no better than the weaker sides in this division though and I've little faith in our capacity to stay clear of them.

I had hopes when I saw Lyle was in the team yesterday, but whether or not yet fit, he made little difference.  I also had hopes at half time that after finally scoring a goal, we might play with more freedom and confidence.  A rotten second half soon followed though.  

I don't know that we'll keep losing every week, but regular wins really do seem distant just now.

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, fair enough.

Carmichael hopefully makes a difference and it's hard to believe that someone with Dobbie's talent can stay this ineffective in perpetuity.

I really do think that him apart, we're no better than the weaker sides in this division though and I've little faith in our capacity to stay clear of them.

I had hopes when I saw Lyle was in the team yesterday, but whether or not yet fit, he made little difference.  I also had hopes at half time that after finally scoring a goal, we might play with more freedom and confidence.  A rotten second half soon followed though.  

I don't know that we'll keep losing every week, but regular wins really do seem distant just now.

I think that was probably the most disappointing aspect of yesterdays performance. We completely failed to put the sub keeper under any kind of pressure at all.

I think you're being a little harsh. Theres no doubt that Dobbies presence has, or should have, elevated us into contending for the play offs but without him I still think we would have been comfortably mid table, had everyone stayed fit. Theres a good chance thats where we'll end up anyway

40 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We've had this discussion before I know, and I think we'll have to agree to disagree again.  However, I do think that without Dobbie, we have a weak squad for this level - one that would have us battling relegation.

Injuries have played a major part in Queens recent slump. I'm worried that confidence might evade future wins though. Hopefully Dobbie and Lyle can start scoring again and help get us back up the table.

Of course the injuries have been a factor, the slump coincides with them occurring so its pretty undeniable. Dealing with injuries is part of a manager's job though.

Is Skelton getting the best from the tools at his disposal? I'm afraid for me it's a resounding no.

I didn't have a lot of faith in his appointment, so the little I have is going to start evaporating pretty quickly if he can't turn us around soon. I don't recall Fowler ever overseeing a run as bad as this (I could be wrong) and he didn't have the luxury of Dobbie. It'll be double standards from the board and fans who hounded him out if questions aren't being asked about the situation we're in.

Jim Thomson bellowing abuse from the sidelines like some neanderthal fan isn't helpful either.

Time Big Jim was back selling halftime bottle of whiskey raffle tickets! He is not helping the manager he never praises the players, yesterday all he did was shout abusive remarks to our players, he is truly out his depth, I was disgusted by his bellowing & felt for the manager yesterday, the manager  needs more support on the touchline not some somebody shouting and screaming abuse at our players surely the directors must have been embarrassed yesterday. Time for the board to react.

Fowler had a run of 2 points from 6 games around August/September. There was also a run of 4 points from 8 games towards the end of the season. We were also knocked out of all the cups very early on. One thing counting in Skelton's favour at the moment will be the money made from the League Cup run.

Eta Don't remember Fowler being "hounded out". There were 2 or 3 on here calling for his head, mostly late in the season, a fair few who were undecided and some who said he should be given more time. Don't remember any chanting or calls for his sacking at any home games. I'm guessing the board made up their own minds based on falling attendances and the lack of any real income from the cups.

Edited by Flash

6 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Time Big Jim was back selling halftime bottle of whiskey raffle tickets! He is not helping the manager he never praises the players, yesterday all he did was shout abusive remarks to our players, he is truly out his depth, I was disgusted by his bellowing & felt for the manager yesterday, the manager  needs more support on the touchline not some somebody shouting and screaming abuse at our players surely the directors must have been embarrassed yesterday. Time for the board to react.

We've no idea how useful a support or otherwise JT represents.

I'll agree that the language didn't make for the most edifying display, but I don't think it proves much about his value in the role. 

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Fowler had a run of 2 points from 6 games around August/September. There was also a run of 4 points from 8 games towards the end of the season. We were also knocked out of all the cups very early on. One thing counting in Skelton's favour at the moment will be the money made from the League Cup run.

Yes and we're obviously still alive in another Cup, with a decent chance of further progress, although I'd imagine none of us are taking that progress for granted as things stand.

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes and we're obviously still alive in another Cup, with a decent chance of further progress, although I'd imagine none of us are taking that progress for granted as things stand.

Obviously progression isnt granted, but its a really good chance to bounce back and regain a bit of confidence. As I said earlier, I dont expect us to take anything from Hibs in a fortnight, but the two cup games either side could provide a much needed confidence boost before the more important run of games through December

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Obviously progression isnt granted, but its a really good chance to bounce back and regain a bit of confidence. As I said earlier, I dont expect us to take anything from Hibs in a fortnight, but the two cup games either side could provide a much needed confidence boost before the more important run of games through December

Yes, that's got to be the hope.

They're both games that now carry a bit of pressure though.  The Scottish Cup one in particular has the potential to really damage Skelton.  Hopefully as you say though, the games can help instill some much needed belief.

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We've had this discussion before I know, and I think we'll have to agree to disagree again.  However, I do think that without Dobbie, we have a weak squad for this level - one that would have us battling relegation.

Injuries have played a major part in Queens recent slump. I'm worried that confidence might evade future wins though. Hopefully Dobbie and Lyle can start scoring again and help get us back up the table.

Of course the injuries have been a factor, the slump coincides with them occurring so its pretty undeniable. Dealing with injuries is part of a manager's job though.

Is Skelton getting the best from the tools at his disposal? I'm afraid for me it's a resounding no.

I didn't have a lot of faith in his appointment, so the little I have is going to start evaporating pretty quickly if he can't turn us around soon. I don't recall Fowler ever overseeing a run as bad as this (I could be wrong) and he didn't have the luxury of Dobbie. It'll be double standards from the board and fans who hounded him out if questions aren't being asked about the situation we're in.

Jim Thomson bellowing abuse from the sidelines like some neanderthal fan isn't helpful either.

"Hounded Him" is a little off the mark !!! I heard very little direct abuse, if any. I did open a thread on here asking the question if we should be looking to replace the management team. I think opinions were nearly split 50/50 with most mumping about the eye stabbing negative football and others stating how much of a nice guy he was !!!